• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Theory-crafting: Goblin Assassin

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

Theory-crafting: Goblin Assassin

Postby QorDaq » November 18th, 2022, 7:49 pm

Background: Over the years I have seen a great selection of homebrew enemy concepts. Many are based on one-off enemies that appear in a particular quest, some are translated from Warhammer Fantasy or even other board games in a similar style to old school HeroQuest. Still others are created by translating from full RPG rules such as D&D, and many are created whole cloth.

Different contributors have used any number of approaches of course, including point-based balancing, or simply taking existing enemy types and changing the equipment out to alter the unit's stats, such as adding armor or a different weapon for example. Let's say you want an Orc to be a little beefier, instead of the basic 2 Defend Dice, give them a Shield or some Chainmail and bam, you've got an Orc with a Defense value of 3. It's still an Orc, but it's been upgraded a little.

This may be my favorite method for altering basic enemy types and is sanguine to an idea that has been percolating for a couple of months.

Inspiration: About a year ago I backed a Kickstarter project called Dragon's Hoard Miniatures Vol 1. Ostensibly, this was to add an assortment of different fantasy-themed minis for any number of uses including bespoke HQ enemies. At the time, it wasn't really clear what this new company's scale would be in actuality... We have since learned that their version of 28mm is not "Heroic" in proportion. They are allegedly on the smallish size, so I am not certain how well they will really work with HQ, but I use minis from various sources anyway, so I am not over-bothered on that point. Not important except to anticipate that detractors may take issue with the scale. Since we are still waiting on delivery (likely in the next few months), I have not yet seen the miniatures in person.

While there are quite a few potentially useful miniatures in the range, one in particular jumped out at me as having a very specific application for a new variant of an existing enemy; a Goblin Assassin.

I wasn't sure how I might use it until we were teased with the Rogue Heir. And specifically, the Rogue's Bandolier equipment.

Implementation: Quite simply, the idea is to create a weak ranged enemy unit that can be mixed in with other Goblin mobs as desired. The stats will mostly remain the same as a typical Goblin (though the Attack dice will be 1 reflecting a Dagger instead of a Shortsword) , except that the Bandolier will give them the ability to toss unlimited daggers at the party... For the turn or two that it survives the fight anyway.

It also occurred to me that it could have an AS of 1 (2), where the 1 is the primary ranged Dagger attack, and the 2 is their Shortsword melee attack--much as we have seen with the Elven Archer's dual stats. Iv'e certainly seen Goblin Archer cards out there, where the Short Bow(?) is granting an AS of 2, which is the same stats as a typical Goblin, but with the Ranged upgrade and no clear indication of potential melee ability--I assume it also uses the Goblin's standard Shortsword in attack.

Anyway, this idea is to create a new unit that is a little weaker than the usual Ranged Goblin variant, but granting the ranged ability via an existing in-game piece of equipment.

----------------------------------

Overall I like the idea of using something that already exists in-game, in a new way, that does not overpower an establish basic enemy type.

I'm still in the "Muddling it over" phase of the idea, but thought it might be worth mentioning to gather feedback.

The giant spider mini above is exciting too... But that's a different project.
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Return to Monsters