• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Optional Monster Abilities

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

Re: Optional Monster Abilities

Postby Kurgan » November 2nd, 2022, 2:14 pm

Zombie Jamboree

Adjacent zombie figures, not diagonal (back to back / belly to belly)
Roll one extra defend die when attacked (don't give a damn, done dead already)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Optional Monster Abilities

Postby Bareheaded Warrior » December 6th, 2022, 10:16 am

Yet another 'final' version...

To keep addition complexity / effort to a minimum I haven’t given Goblins, Orcs or Skeletons any special abilities as standard as they are the most populous dungeon denizens, but…

Goblin
All standard Goblins are equipped with spear so can attack diagonally. I have introduced a (short)bow armed Goblin Scout variant from ATOH and in Quest Packs designed for more experienced/advanced Heroes, Goblins can be armed with blade venom for their spear / daggers and arrow tips (if you are using the ‘free attack’ house rule Goblins can have the special ability ‘elusive’ which negates that effect)

Elusive
A character with this ability may move through hero spaces but must end its movement on an empty space. They also do not give away free attacks.

Skeleton
All standard Skeletons wield Scythes that can attack diagonally. I have introduced a (short)bow armed Skeleton Archer variant and occasionally give Skeletons an ambush ability (particular Skeletons rather than all – that means they don’t get placed on the board as usual but appear from nowhere like Wandering Monsters on Zargon’s turn or when the Heroes step on certain squares or enter a room. In addition, I have introduced an enhanced Skeleton referred to as a “Reaper” (inspired by Death Reapers from ‘Revenge of the Weatherman’ and ROTWL’s Spirit Riders that get an extra BP and whose Scythe attacks can be used diagonally, use 2AD but ignore armour (Chill Attack)

Orc
Again, no blanket special abilities but I would consider equipping all Orcs with a Shield as standard from KK onwards, giving them +1DD. In ATOH there are Orcs armed with Crossbows and also Orcs armed with Spears - I’m not keen on the Orc attacking diagonally with a spear (2AD) but getting 3AD so I have replaced these with a new Orc variant, the “Henchman” with an extra BP, armed with Longsword and Shield, who can act either as a leader of smaller groups of Greenskins (and for beginners as a Boss in its own right), for more experienced groups they can act as a 2 i/c for existing bosses or as a group of bodyguards for existing bosses

Zombie
Could resist giving these the “Reanimate” special ability

Reanimate

When a character with this ability is killed then place a skull token on the square. At the start of the GM’s turn roll a combat die and if a black shield is rolled then the figure is placed back on the square with at full BP and the token is removed, any other result and the token is removed.

Troll
Replaces Fimir, same figure

Regenerate

At the start of their turn any character with this ability that has lost at least one Body Point gets one Body Point restored.

Rock Solid

A character with this ability can only be pushed back if the attackers roll shows at least two Black Skulls rather than the usual one.

Mummy

Fire Vulnerability

Fire Attacks on this character use an extra combat die in attack

Rock Solid

A character with this ability can only be pushed back if the attackers roll shows at least two Black Skulls rather than the usual one.

Dread Warrior

Rock Solid

Gargoyle

See related topic Beefing up the Gargoyle
:skull: = white skull, one "hit"
:blackshield: = black skull, one "hit"
:whiteshield: = shield, cancels out one "hit"

Editions: 1989 Original First Edition [FE] and Second Edition [SE], 1990 Remake [US], 2021 Remake [21]

HeroQuest Gold new edition based on Original 1989 HeroQuest, holes patched, dents hammered out, buffed to a shiny finish with ~50 common issues fixed for a smoother experience.

HQ Common Notification System to identify squares on the board
Bareheaded Warrior

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Monsters