• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Animated Objects

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

Animated Objects

Postby torilen » May 20th, 2017, 9:36 pm

So, I'm working on animated objects right now, and thought I'd fix them up for HQ and
post them. Hope you like them. I'll post more as I get more finished. I'll edit this first
post, and give an update bump.

I know it might seem a little useless, but I think these could prove to be a lot of fun,
if used properly. :)

Enjoy.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

MONSTER: Door (Animated Object)
BODY: 6
MIND: n/a
MOVE: n/a (opens at 5ft per turn)
ATTACK: n/a
DEFENSE: 4
SPECIAL:
The Body Points for an animated door, as with normal doors, are divided into three parts: 2 Body Points in the top third of the door,
2 in the middle third of the door, and 2 in the lower third of the door. The middle third of the door is typically where the handle and
latch are located, and if this portion is “destroyed” then the door will open (unless there are other latches or bolts built into the door).

A typical door, animated or not, would be made from cedar or pine or other fir tree. If the wood is constructed for a higher quality it
might be made from a harder wood, such as oak or maple. If it is made of a harder wood, it will have a higher Defense Dice roll.

USE NOTE:
An animated door may not require a lock, and so could be a perfect way to stop thieves from breaking and entering, as they would not
know how to open the door. Even if they did figure out that the door was animated, the door might not obey anyone other than its master.
These doors, if given the ability to think, have been known to terrorize those who do not belong within the structure in which they are
found. They will open and close on their own, sometimes just in time to allow someone to run into them face first, causing 1 Body Point
of damage.
It should be carefully noted that an animated door with no locking mechanism is not "magically sealed". There will be no way to pick the
lock or pull the latch away, and there is no real magic keeping the door closed. Magical spells to open a door will not work, nor will a Genie
be able to use its "open door" ability to open an animated door. A door such as this will need to be treated as a monster to be fought.

MONSTER: Broom/Mop (Animated Object)
BODY: 1
MOVE: 15ft (floating)
DEFENSE: 2
SPECIAL:
No Special
DESCRIPTION:
A very unassuming animated object, an animated broom or mop can be an extremely useful item to have around. These objects can follow the
direction “clean this floor” or “go and clean over there”. They can also follow the direction “stop that person or creature”.
USE NOTE:
As it’s name suggests, animated brooms and mops can clean floors when needed.
While this object cannot attack, it can do a very good job of getting in the way when ordered to do so. When an animated broom
or mop “gets in the way” of a character or creature, it will put itself in the single 5ft space between the target and its master (or some other
individual the master orders it to protect).
If an attacker wishes to get at its target without destroying the broom or mop first, the attacker must move into the same space as the broom
or mop and then must roll 1 red die. A roll of 1 or 2 indicates that the attacker has been tripped by the animated broom or mop.

MONSTER: Bucket (Animated Object)
BODY: 1
MOVE: 20ft (fly)
DEFENSE: 2
SPECIAL:
No Special
DESCRIPTION:
An animated bucket can be ordered to follow along behind its master in order to hold
things, or it can be ordered to go into a source of water and fill itself. Filling itself with water would allow it to be used in
conjunction with an animated mop, and together the two objects could easily clean floors without any direct supervision or
manual labor on the part of the master.
This sort of animated object can be created using almost any size bucket. The example given here uses a simple, normal sized
bucket, as would be found with a water well. Larger buckets will have more Body Points and could possibly have a slight higher
Defense Dice roll, since it would probably be made from thicker wood.
USE NOTE:
Aside from being used to clean, an animated bucket can be used to empty water from a place where water is not really supposed
to be found. It can also be used to retrieve something else out of the water, since it can simply pick up the item along with water
and bring it back to its master. If the bucket is filled with soapy water, this water can be dropped near or around individuals creating
a slippery surface. If an animated bucket is filled with boiling hot water, or something other hot liquid, it could be ordered to float
above a target and drop that liquid, causing at least 1 Body Point of damage (with no chance to Defend against the attack). An empty
animated bucket can be order to put itself upside down onto of a target’s head, restricting its ability to see until it spends a turn
removing the bucket.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Animated Objects

Postby Daedalus » July 13th, 2017, 4:52 am

The door is a fun idea. It would fit in a Quest okay, but I'd put it as a special in the Quest Notes. I don't see the value of dividing its Body Points, though. As far as the Genie spell is concerned, I think allowing it to default to attacking as an opening method should be allowed.

The mop and bucket don't interest me, but with the right Notes I'm sure a creative Quest writer could make them work. I hope you choose to detail HQ-specific furniture, such as a tomb or fireplace.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby torilen » July 13th, 2017, 9:57 am

Daedalus - My thinking for splitting the BP for the door is as stated - instead of having to take out ALL of the BP, a character,
if they think about it, can attack only the portion that holds the door latch/handle. If you think about it, if you were going to
try and break down a door, what happens. You pound on the door and it will most likely break at the latch.

Just some meta-game thinking, I suppose (to pull out an rpg term).

And, to be honest, I forget what objects I have written down to detail. I had to take a break from the rpg writing for a bit,
which is why I haven't added any updates here in a while. I will certainly take note of your interest in the fireplace and
tomb, though, and I'm sure I could work something fun up. Especially with a fireplace. waa haa haa haa.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 13th, 2017, 2:57 pm

Okay, got it with the door. Another thought that just struck is that both the Rack and the Weapons Rack should provide some interesting entertainment.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Monsters