• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Snotling Gang

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

Snotling Gang

Postby Zeus » July 13th, 2016, 8:40 am

As you may know, Snotlings are very small greenskins - much smaller even than a Goblin. As such, a single Snotling can't really do anything to even a wizard hero.

I was thinking of cramming 4 snotlings on one square, and treat them as one monster (Snotling Gang) with attack, defense and body all 4. Whenever the Snotling Gang loses one or more body points, it also drops as many points from its attack and defense (and of course loses as many Snotling figures). If only 1 Snotling is left, it will either try to join another gang of Snotlings that lost 1 or more body points, or if that's not available, it will just flee. Or, if you consider that 1 Snotling figure represents 2-3 of them, maybe it can just stay in play as a 1/1.

What do you think?
Zeus

Skeleton
Skeleton

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Snotling Gang

Postby Goblin-King » July 13th, 2016, 11:04 am

The concept of a swarm getting weaker as it lose BP is a good concept we've seen a couple of times before. So far so good.
I'm not a fan of cramming multiple models into one square. I'd say either make a base containing X amount of models or make another system to represent their "strength in numbers".

A couple ideas:

* make a base with 3 or 4 snotlings. I guess it's doable depending on the models. The warhammer metal snotlings are rather small. Have attacks diminish with BP.
* Same as above, but use a double base like the ones for the wolves. Would allow for more snotlings and less cramming.
* Have individual snotlings, one/base/square. Allow all snotlings adjacent to a hero to combine their attacks into a single attack.
* Have individual snotlings, but only allow 1 of them to actually attack. He represents the combined swarm attack. It's a little more abstract, but I rather like this way

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » July 13th, 2016, 11:07 am

In the HQ25 thread we are discussing the Kobolds, which are following the same principle but occupy 1 square each. I like about your idea that the snotlings can heal each other by jumping on the other base, which is quite cool. And I like that it solves the Kobold Problem, that is, you just can't kill enough of them. :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Big Bene » July 14th, 2016, 5:10 am

Nope, not my piece of cake.
Snotlings are too Warhammer specific for my taste, would disturb the more open generic fantasy feeling of HQ.
If you want to have swarms, use rats.
Of course that's just my personal taste. The relationship of HQ and WH has been discussed throughautly in this forum.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » July 14th, 2016, 12:06 pm

WH and HQ are both set on Glorantha.....
How does a snotling gang take away from HQ in any way?

HQ and WH are set in the same world. If you find a creature in one game, it makes sense that you would find it in the other.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » July 14th, 2016, 12:51 pm

Zeus wrote:As you may know, Snotlings are very small greenskins - much smaller even than a Goblin. As such, a single Snotling can't really do anything to even a wizard hero.

I was thinking of cramming 4 snotlings on one square, and treat them as one monster (Snotling Gang) with attack, defense and body all 4. Whenever the Snotling Gang loses one or more body points, it also drops as many points from its attack and defense (and of course loses as many Snotling figures). If only 1 Snotling is left, it will either try to join another gang of Snotlings that lost 1 or more body points, or if that's not available, it will just flee. Or, if you consider that 1 Snotling figure represents 2-3 of them, maybe it can just stay in play as a 1/1.

What do you think?

This is pretty much what we did with the plastic Snotlings, except I think we only did 3 as I recall. But yeah, no problem with putting them individually on the board, and by removing models as body point tokens, it works well.

I don't recall letting singles flee, but we did have hoards merge.

The big difference was that we had all hoards, regardless of size, defend with 1 Die. However, attacks and BP were based on the number of models.

Anyway, I say experiment with a few ideas and see what works best with your group. But what you're suggesting definitely works, I just think the Defense starts a little high if it equals the number of Models.
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » July 14th, 2016, 1:12 pm

I like it but i'd max it at 3.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » July 14th, 2016, 7:08 pm

cynthialee wrote:WH and HQ are both set on Glorantha.....

I don't think they actually are...

As someone who uses over world maps in my HQ games I got all excited and started searching for different world maps using that search term. :( very disappointed now. Totally and indescribably different.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » July 15th, 2016, 5:08 am

cynthialee wrote:WH and HQ are both set on Glorantha.....
How does a snotling gang take away from HQ in any way?

HQ and WH are set in the same world.

Or are they?

This is no easy matter, it has been discussed in length.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby QorDaq » July 15th, 2016, 10:15 am

I still think it would be awesome for the good folken of the Inn, to committee an official unofficial locale and then for one of the HQ community with some superior graphics-fu to create a definitive map identifying where all of the Canon locations from the various editions of the game are to be found. With plenty of unassigned locations where official unofficial fan-made quests can be written in... Just sayin'...

Oh, and Fimir, I believe, are a call out to old school WH, pre Warhaamer Quest, so that breaks the generic fantasy setting fairly significantly regardless of which world HQ takes place in.
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Monsters