• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hydra!

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

Hydra!

Postby Gold Bearer » February 28th, 2016, 6:02 pm

Hydra.jpg
I needed this for a dark spell in my evil winds of magic supplement but I thought it was deserving of it's own topic. Hydras have always been my favourite monster (actual monster) anyway. It probably should be more dangerous than I've made it but then the spell would be overpowered and monsters wouldn't be suitable for standard HQ if I went that route. It's still really tough compared to standard monsters. I decided not to make it so two heads grow back when they don't use fire, too strong.

I plan to do all the main mythical monsters because that's one thing that the custom content hear is lacking. I'll change the topic to title to monster when I've done a few more.

Ignoring giant real animals:
Hell Hound
Cockatrice
Karrion
Hypogriff
Griffin
Chimera
Wyvern
Dragons
Dracoliche
Manticore
Lamassu
Great Taurus

Any obvious ones I've missed?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Hydra!

Postby Goblin-King » February 28th, 2016, 6:20 pm

Depending on your criteria and definition of "obvious", but here is a couple.
From your list it looks like you are specifically going for the more beast-like monsters, so no medusa, harpies, sirens etc.?

Sphinx
Cerberus
Basilisk
Kraken
Leviathan
Behemoth
Ziz
Jabberwocky

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » February 28th, 2016, 7:09 pm

Cheers.

Goblin-King wrote:From your list it looks like you are specifically going for the more beast-like monsters, so no medusa, harpies, sirens etc.?
Correct. The humanoid ones and the bigger than real life animals are going with the relevant faction. 'True' monsters can have their own pseudo faction.

Sphinx: So is the monster named after the statue or the statue named after the monster?

Cerberus: Heard of it but don't know what it is, I'll google it.

Basilisk: Yea.

Kraken: Not sure if they can exist out of the water but maybe.

Leviathan: Yes. Limbless snake type dragon headed thing.

Behemoth: Not sure if that's an actual monster or a generic name for something big.

Ziz: Never heard of it.

Jabberwocky: Aren't they from star wars?

This is what I was going to call a behemoth. Don't know how close it is if behemoth is a specific monster.
Chaos Behemoth.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby StratosVX » February 29th, 2016, 12:03 am

One that immediately comes to mind is the Roc.

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Scribe of Heroes
StratosVX
I hate snakes, Jacques...

Scout
Scout

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » February 29th, 2016, 2:56 am

Gold Bearer wrote:Sphinx: So is the monster named after the statue or the statue named after the monster?
I'm thinking more of the Greek sphinx that killed travelers if they couldn't answer the riddle.

Cerberus: Heard of it but don't know what it is, I'll google it.
Three headed dog

Leviathan: Yes. Limbless snake type dragon headed thing.
Behemoth: Not sure if that's an actual monster or a generic name for something big.
Ziz: Never heard of it.
Leviathan, Behemoth and Ziz are biblical monsters of the seas, lands and skies respectively. Neither have specific characteristics, but are often used loosely in fantasy regardless.

Jabberwocky: Aren't they from star wars?
:lol: - It's a poem by Lewis Carroll featured in Through the looking glass (Alice in Wonderland part 2 - Back with a vengeance). The Jabberwocky has since transcended into generic fantasy. It is killed by the Vorpal Blade.

This is what I was going to call a behemoth. Don't know how close it is if behemoth is a specific monster.
Chaos Behemoth.jpg

A huge land beast is basically a fitting description. It leaves room for imagination.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » February 29th, 2016, 4:18 am

Goblin-King wrote:Leviathan, Behemoth and Ziz are biblical monsters of the seas, lands and skies respectively. Neither have specific characteristics, but are often used loosely in fantasy regardless.
Hmm, and hell hounds have a link with fire. I might give them each an element spell set. Cerberus and hell hound might be the same thing then. I think I remember hell hounds having three heads, although in fantasy they're normally depicted with one so I could keep them separate.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » February 29th, 2016, 4:21 am

In Greek mythology, Cerberus is the name given to the Hellhound who guards the entrance to Hades. He has three heads and is the only one of his kind.
Generic Fantasy makes it a point to just borrow names from anywhere without even trying to be cohesive in naming convention.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » February 29th, 2016, 4:24 am

Could that one breath fire?

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » February 29th, 2016, 5:05 am

knightkrawler wrote:In Greek mythology, Cerberus is the name given to the Hellhound who guards the entrance to Hades. He has three heads and is the only one of his kind.
Generic Fantasy makes it a point to just borrow names from anywhere without even trying to be cohesive in naming convention.

True. Same goes for a lot of them. Hydra, Minotaur, Behemoth, Leviathan, Ziz, Medusa (okay, there were 3, but still not a "race") :geek:

Doesn't mean they'd still wouldn't make good fantasy races ;)

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » February 29th, 2016, 5:22 am

Goblin-King wrote:
knightkrawler wrote:In Greek mythology, Cerberus is the name given to the Hellhound who guards the entrance to Hades. He has three heads and is the only one of his kind.

True. Same goes for a lot of them. Hydra, Minotaur, Behemoth, Leviathan, Ziz, Medusa (okay, there were 3, but still not a "race") :geek:
You mean gorgon. Medusa was the name of an individual gorgon. :ugeek:

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Monsters