• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

New idea for ranged attack for mummy.

Discuss the creation of new Monsters and share Monsters you've created.

New idea for ranged attack for mummy.

Postby cynthialee » January 30th, 2015, 1:32 am

I figured that a more advanced mummy with a ranged attack might be called for and this came to mind:

Entangling Bandages
Embalming bandages shoot from the mummies hands and seek to engulf a hero and wrap him up.
Bandages attack with 2 dice and if they strike a hit, the hero takes damage for each skull that hits, after a successful hit, each subsequent attack the mummy takes on an entangled hero, does damage with White Shields and the mummy rolls 3 dice on the attack. If a hero dies from this attack the hero will rise as a mummy on the EWPs' next turn.
The mummy must be killed to stop the bandages.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: New idea for ranged attack for mummy.

Postby knightkrawler » January 30th, 2015, 10:40 am

Not a bad idea at all.
To upgrade a mummy, the Yeti special hugging ability comes to mind. I like it thematically.
On a sidenote, I allow to instakill a mummy by discarding any one fire spell. To further elaborate, monsters with 0 mind points are not affected by spells based on mind point die rolls like Sleep, Control, and such.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » January 30th, 2015, 12:49 pm

I use mummies as heavy hitters and often they are spell casters. {I like the idea of thinking mummies.*} I could never allow for an insta kill via fire spells. I could see allowing for an extra +1 assigned to the damage inflicted via fire.

*Even though I consider mummies to be intelligent they have a mind so alien to the heroes that no mind effecting spell can harm them. Thus the benefits that come from being 'mindless' still apply. I never should have watched that Brendon Frasier movie. ;)

When I stick true to my concept of mummies they become top tier baddies and a number of dungeons need be altered.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Kitch1982 » January 30th, 2015, 1:52 pm

I like the sound of the attack and also thinking the Mummy is more than just a brain dead creature! to be honest when I've played my own quests in the past I've never really treated any of the bad guys with any character, but the next time I play i might try a little chracterisation.
Kitch1982

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 30th, 2015, 2:03 pm

I can relate.
I guess I treat them more like tomb guardians*, warrior slaves killed along with their masters to guard them in the afterlife and in undeath.
Now, these masters are another thing entirely. Those get mind points, spells, and upgraded stats.

*I don't even call them mummies.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » January 30th, 2015, 3:16 pm

Lich. Like Mumra.
He still gives me chills when I think what a more mature and gritty live action version of Thunder Cats would look like.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » July 11th, 2015, 7:36 pm

A Tomb Guardian/Lich as a master Mummy is a neat idea that makes a nice alternative to yet another Chaos Sorcerer. I'd agree Mind Points (and other stat upgrades) are okay for this monster. I'd also agree as a master Mummy it shouldn't be affected by Sleep. I'd deny any red dice rolls to cancel damage from a Fire spell as a themed balance.

Well, the Water-Fire trade-off isn't quite so even, but allowing a special ability like entangling bandages or spellcasting covers that no problem. I like spellcasting with spells chosen from Summon Undead, Fear, Rust, or Cloud of Chaos. RAUGH!
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby torilen » July 11th, 2015, 9:19 pm

This might be me being drunk right now...barely able to type and all...but this sounds pretty neat.
When I saw the subject I thought...what? A range attack for mummies...how ridiculous?
But entangling bandages. That is a really good idea. I kind of get a vision going...
a mix of old-school D&D artistry...mixed with the mummy from the Brendon Frasier version
of Mummy...mixed with the chains that shoot out from Spawn in the Spawn movie...
kind of freak and scary and horrifying all at the same time.

I like it.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Anderas » July 12th, 2015, 1:08 am

Thanks Torilen. Without you I wouldn't have seen the topic.

So if we put everything in the mixer that I have seen here, we get:

A Mummy with an entanglement attack, and that works maybe like Yeti Hug or maybe it makes 3 white shield attacks per turn.
Shall it affect the way the hero moves? I'd say yes, he would not be able to.
Do the mummy keep her regular attack on top? For me it's a clear yes otherwise the mummy becomes less dangerous.

If we stuff chaos spells and mind sorcery immunity on top into this being, it really starts to lose the semblance with the original. Besides I like the small buff for the wizard, being able to destroy the mummy with any one fire spell.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 14th, 2015, 10:24 pm

knightkrawler wrote:I can relate.
I guess I treat them more like tomb guardians*, warrior slaves killed along with their masters to guard them in the afterlife and in undeath.
Now, these masters are another thing entirely. Those get mind points, spells, and upgraded stats.

*I don't even call them mummies.

cynthialee wrote:Lich. Like Mumra.
He still gives me chills when I think what a more mature and gritty live action version of Thunder Cats would look like.

The name matters, as Holy Water will only "kill" a Mummy (or Skeleton or Zombie). Tomb Guardians or Liches aren't included on the EU treasure card. Sacred Water from RotWL also has the same Mummy limitation as Holy Water.

Some alternate hug attacks that could be adapted for an entangling bandages attack were discussed in this post.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to Monsters