• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Primarily Healing class?

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Primarily Healing class?

Postby DullandRusty » October 28th, 2017, 1:24 am

Anyone use a hero that is primarily a healer? One that can heal multiple times throughout quests or longer campaigns? If so how do you reconcilemthe healers role of healing with making it so they cant just keep the party topped off without difficulty? Obviously more monsters = more damage to party, thus healer can onky heal so much at once, but what about when no monsters are on the board? I am toying with a prayer system for it, but not sure it will work. Basically, there are a few heal spells, 1 bp heals which i have as can do whenever (solution to this was each turn that passes uncreases a counter after which an unknown # pass a patrol or monster is realesed upon the board, thus making heroes not want to sit in one place and top off bp one bp at a time), medium-big heals, a group heal and a revive. Each one has a set number to it, meaning say a medium heal starts at say level 2, once cast the olayer must roll a d-6. Numbers greater than 2 = success. Each time cast (or the prayer is made) the number goes up, acting as the god is getting tired of answering prayers repeatedly and they are becoming kess likely to be heard. The more powerful spells have a higher starting prayer # and thus a lower chance to succeed, especially on repitition. I do have a mechanic to reduce the prayer # back one prayer level maxxing at the starting level, by the player being stationary for a set amount of turns and doing a prayer of worship (unable to attack or defend as well as move). This also makes the others have to decide if they want tomstay around to protect the healer in case the turn counter spawns a monster, or to explore as to not waste turns. I shoukd add that the healer really is not a damage dealer, 1 attack, also low defense, cant hold weapons. She can do a holy attack spell of damnation on rare occasions if she chooses, however it costs her a bp and mp as she becomes traumitized by damning a soul (also raises the prayer counter of all spells when cast).

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Thats something i have been trialing out in limited testing, but not fully in campaign yet. I just wanted to hear other ideas before fully incorporating into our main story campaign.

Thanks!
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Primarily Healing class?

Postby Goblin-King » October 28th, 2017, 5:42 am

In my opinion a "healer class" doesn't really work for this game.

* It's a competitive game. The evil wizard player's objective is to kill the heroes. He can't do that if someone heals the party up all the time. This is the real deal breaker for me!
* Playing a healer class in a MMO is boring. Playing one in a board game is extremely boring. The Wizard is already a supporter class with a range of diverse tricks and some really don't like playing as him.
* As for harder monsters/more need of healing... Healing potions exist in the Alchemist's Shop so it's: Harder monsters/more gold/more potions. The designated healer is redundant.

Buuuuut... Put a gun to my head...

I'd say the important part of designing a HQ healer class is to make the healing limited. Infinite heals are a definitive no-go. Notice how spells are very limited.
The easiest way to do a healer would be to design a set of spells centered around healing. Call them prayers for flavor if you must, but make them work like spells.

Another method could be to tie it up with killing monsters. Top of my head... Each time the healer successfully wounds a monster, roll a die. On a Shield, heal any one character for 1 BP.
Amount of wounds inflicted in a single blow could determine the level of healing.
That means that once the battle is over he can't just restore the entire party for the next encounter. He needs "fuel".
Another way to tie the healing up with combat could be to give the healer "devotion points" for each kill. These would basically be mana points and each spell has a certain cost.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Thor-in » October 28th, 2017, 6:54 am

Hasn’t a healer been created before?

Also doesn’t the Bright or Light College Spells touch on the whole healer class idea? I also want to say that I have even seen spell cards that said prayer on them already (I could be totally wrong on that one).

G-K, I would have to agree with you that a healer really doesn’t fit into the game. However with that said each to their own.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=392&p=2664&hilit=Prayer+spell#p2664
:skeleton: "In The End We Are All Shadows and Dust" :skeleton:

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Thor-in

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby j_dean80 » October 28th, 2017, 7:57 am

The app Arcane Quest has a healer called the Paladdin. The Paladdin has a one time 5 BP heal Spell and has a one time 2 BP heal Spell that heals all Heroes adjacent. The Paladdin is mostly a warrior with minor weapon restrictions just a little less than a dwarf. It isn't overpowered but does help a tough campaign along with the Wizard's heal Spells and potions.
Blood - Good to the last drop

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
j_dean80

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » October 28th, 2017, 9:23 am

You could tie it to MP, a 5BP/5MP hero who can heal BP of themselves or an adjacent ally at the cost of 1MP for each one. That makes MP more important and makes them more vulnerable to spells the more they heal.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby DullandRusty » October 28th, 2017, 9:48 am

Good input, thanks. Ive been struggling with the idea bc a healing class for regular quests is waaaay to overpowered. But for some of our homemade campaigns that end with very long raid like quests (4 bosses) to finish off the campaign, a healer would be fine for as enough damage occurs over the course of the end "raid" quest, and they are long enough where multiple heals is not a big deal. As you have noted, its the balance with normal quests that i havent hammered out yet and struggle with. Unless i just make the character available via storyline, such as the heroes rescue the healer in the early part of the "raid" quest, after which he/she helps for the remainder of the quest then goes away.
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby DullandRusty » October 28th, 2017, 10:03 am

Thor-in wrote:Hasn’t a healer been created before?

Also doesn’t the Bright or Light College Spells touch on the whole healer class idea? I also want to say that I have even seen spell cards that said prayer on them already (I could be totally wrong on that one).

G-K, I would have to agree with you that a healer really doesn’t fit into the game. However with that said each to their own.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=392&p=2664&hilit=Prayer+spell#p2664

Thanks thor-in, i hadnt seen that thread. Will definitely have to have a look at how they handled healing. Sounds like a similar thought system in prayers was created too.
DullandRusty

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » October 28th, 2017, 11:00 am

A healer really breaks the game if you try to achieve balancing like I do. So I am not a fan of that idea. You will have to add a lot of Monsters or very strong Monsters to equalize the additional BP introduced by all the additional healing. So that can make the game either very easy or very long.

That said, there was a concept around here of a paladin. As far as I remember, he had some kind of bonus for defense and he was able to transfer one BP per round to another model.
I kind of liked the concept because it allowed to heal, it also allowed to use healing potions more efficiently, but it was NOT introducing more BP to the game. At the same time his effect was so slow that it really was more like a first aid kit, but an injured hero would stay injured for a while.

Not to forget: you could actively use this model in the fights, so it wasn't one of those boring MMO healer supporters.

Some thoughts independent of the Paladin:

The usefulness of a healing effect depends also on the cost and range. If it costs the action, you use it like a spell. If it costs the action of both, healer and healed, at least you cannot use it in the middle of the fight. If it costs the movement points on top and has range "adjacent ", it really becomes difficult to use, limiting the opportunities to use the healing, but also the fun of playing it.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby kyrrahn » November 12th, 2017, 11:46 pm

I have to agree with the others... Playing Evil Wizard (especially in the English Version) is all about a war of attrition. It was all about steadily chipping away at the heroes so that they had to be judicious with their healing spells/potions.
That being said Anderas has the right idea with a hero that can distribute Bp as it would enable a team to maintain balance and avoid the "zerg rush the wizard/focus on one hero" tactics.
Being able to purchase potions of healing at anytime would be a simple if somewhat inelegant solution. :cheese:
I want my Mummy :mummy:
kyrrahn

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » February 2nd, 2018, 8:14 pm

DullandRusty wrote:. . . how do you reconcilemthe healers role of healing with making it so they cant just keep the party topped off without difficulty? Obviously more monsters = more damage to party, thus healer can onky heal so much at once, but what about when no monsters are on the board? I am toying with a prayer system for it, but not sure it will work. Basically, there are a few heal spells, 1 bp heals which i have as can do whenever (solution to this was each turn that passes uncreases a counter after which an unknown # pass a patrol or monster is realesed upon the board, thus making heroes not want to sit in one place and top off bp one bp at a time, medium-big heals, a group heal and a revive. . . .

Monster patrols--works for me! Maybe you wanna check this topic.

DullandRusty wrote:. . . Each one has a set number to it, meaning say a medium heal starts at say level 2, once cast the olayer must roll a d-6. Numbers greater than 2 = success. Each time cast (or the prayer is made) the number goes up, . . . I do have a mechanic to reduce the prayer # back one prayer level maxxing at the starting level, by the player being stationary for a set amount of turns and doing a prayer of worship (unable to attack or defend as well as move). . . .

More on that prayer of worship mechanic at the end of this post . . .

DullandRusty wrote: . . . I shoukd add that the healer really is not a damage dealer, 1 attack, also low defense, cant hold weapons. She can do a holy attack spell of damnation on rare occasions if she chooses, however it costs her a bp and mp as she becomes traumitized by damning a soul (also raises the prayer counter of all spells when cast). . . .

Hmm . . . sounds too restrictive to me when praying for forgiveness could be near at hand (see below.)

DullandRusty wrote:Good input, thanks. Ive been struggling with the idea bc a healing class for regular quests is waaaay to overpowered. But for some of our homemade campaigns that end with very long raid like quests (4 bosses) to finish off the campaign, a healer would be fine for as enough damage occurs over the course of the end "raid" quest, and they are long enough where multiple heals is not a big deal. As you have noted, its the balance with normal quests that i havent hammered out yet and struggle with. Unless i just make the character available via storyline, such as the heroes rescue the healer in the early part of the "raid" quest, after which he/she helps for the remainder of the quest then goes away.

Another way to regulate healing reuse could be to require the prayer of worship mechanic to only function at a dedicated alter called out in the Notes Section (dedication costs gold coins?) Normal Quests wouldn't allow spell reuse, though the really tough Quests you devise would have the special altar. Then the Healer could really shine when he/she was most needed. Also, I'd allow the Healer to recover penalties from casting a spell of damnation at an alter as well. Again, it could require a gold coin sacrifice.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to Heroes