• Advertisement

New Hero - The Pharaoh

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

New Hero - The Pharaoh

Postby Geofonos » Wednesday January 4th, 2017 3:23am

Happy new year everyone!

This is my first extra hero creation. I did this for the 2016 Christmas Exchange and it was a gift for Big Bene.
Seeing that he is Doctor in Egyptology, I wanted to make something for him that really would hit the spot. Hence this new Hero right here.
The original thought was to make him something like a sorcerer or a summoner and give him Egyptian God cards to aid him. Then I saw a couple of pics of Pharaohs that were actually in the heart of battles using chariots and bows or khopesh swords (traditinal egyptian axe-like sword) so I changed my approach to that of a fighter. But I didn't want to make another "dwarf" or "barbarian" melee type so I kinda mixed them up to go for a fighter/spellcaster, more like an Elf you could say.
The idea is that he can summon Egyptian Gods to aid him but not all of them will respond to his call. Therefore, he can either start with any 3 God cards he pleases OR can draw 5 random God cards (from a total of 12 God cards). It’s a dual style of play actually; you can either follow a certain strategy of yours or you might feel lucky and go for broke.

Each Egyptian God card represents an ancient Egyptian deity. Not just that, but I tried - after some serious research in Egyptology - to match the diety with the cards effect. For instance, Set is the God of chaos hence he deals chaotic damage. Ptah is the god of crafting and arts, Sobek the god of military and so on. I did my best in that 2 months time that I had but Big Bene could have given me better advice since he's a major scientist on the subject. But I couldn't consult my Secret Santa victim now, could I?

And this is the back of the Egyptian God cards.

The miniature itself, as I have already stated, is more of a frankenstein. I used the base from a zombie, legs of a zombie (from the feet to the shin) properly separated and bent, the main body of a chaos sorcerer, the head of a zombie, the right arm of an orc and the blade from a chaos warrior’s axe. I could have just used Akbeth, the Heroic Pharaoh from Reaper Miniatures (#02625) but I wanted the mini to have that old school HeroQuest feeling. The rest is really milliput (I used green stuff at first but didn’t like the fact that it is gummy and you can’t file it). Bricks on the base, sandals, loincloth, headdress are the custom additions I made. You can see pics of him in Big Bene’s post in the 2016 Christmas Exchange when he received it.

I used mostly Gimp to make the cards and the templates provided in the Inn. No artwork is mine, I have no copyright on those. All images were found on the web, altered slightly to serve my purposes. Just stating this to make sure I don’t get myself into trouble. Fonts, font sizes and colors were made to match the original cards of the US version of the game as best as I could.

Well, that’s about it. I would like to thank both Sotiris and tasoe for providing me with feedback on the project all this time, this hero is dedicated to them – well, and to Big Bene apparently.

Feel free to state your thoughts on this one, both the cards and the mini.
Happy new year!

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Geofonos

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: New Hero - The Pharaoh

Postby QorDaq » Wednesday January 4th, 2017 4:11pm

Thanks for posting a bit of the background and process for this project. It really was/ is, a great idea and wonderfully executed from the pics and what your victim had to say. I say victim because now he's gonna' be under some serious pressure next year...*Chuckle*...

Regardless, well done man.

maj!
maj! = Klingon word for "Good". Used in the context of "I approve".

- vay' DaneHbogh yIchargh!
QorDaq

High Mage
High Mage

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Fallensaviour » Sunday January 8th, 2017 12:05am

Holy crap,what brilliant figure and custom creation.Well thought out and excellently executed!!
Fallensaviour

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Geofonos » Monday January 9th, 2017 4:50am

QorDaq wrote:Thanks for posting a bit of the background and process for this project. It really was/ is, a great idea and wonderfully executed from the pics and what your victim had to say. I say victim because now he's gonna' be under some serious pressure next year...*Chuckle*...

Regardless, well done man.

maj!

Fallensaviour wrote:Holy crap,what brilliant figure and custom creation.Well thought out and excellently executed!!

Thank you again for the kind words. It really means a lot to me.
One extra thought on this is that, since the Pharaoh can get either 3 or 5 God blessing cards (depending on his strategy), why waste the rest 9 or 7 cards respectively? I'm thinking of making another extra Hero, maybe like a sidekick, something like an Egyptian High Priest with the restrictions of a wizard that would take the rest of the cards and play. Maybe something like Imhotep? I would gladly take Big Bene's guidance for this one.

Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Geofonos

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » Monday January 9th, 2017 4:51am

QorDaq wrote: I say victim because now he's gonna' be under some serious pressure next year...*Chuckle*...

:D
Well, actually, I don't feel pressed. I always do the best I can, and that's part of the fun for me.

But really, I can't thank Geofonos (and Sotiris and Tasoe) enough for this.
I did my best in that 2 months time that I had but Big Bene could have given me better advice since he's a major scientist on the subject. But I couldn't consult my Secret Santa victim now, could I?

I'll post some egyptological input when I have time. If you have any questions left of your own, feel free to ask.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Geofonos » Tuesday January 10th, 2017 3:13am

Big Bene wrote:
QorDaq wrote: I say victim because now he's gonna' be under some serious pressure next year...*Chuckle*...

:D
Well, actually, I don't feel pressed. I always do the best I can, and that's part of the fun for me.

But really, I can't thank Geofonos (and Sotiris and Tasoe) enough for this.
I did my best in that 2 months time that I had but Big Bene could have given me better advice since he's a major scientist on the subject. But I couldn't consult my Secret Santa victim now, could I?

I'll post some egyptological input when I have time. If you have any questions left of your own, feel free to ask.

This is great, I'd love to know more. While this is by no means my area of expertise (I'm a crop scientist by trade), I would like some further info on the subject.
My main concern was Anubis and Amun cards.
- Anubis is the god of embalmment/mummification/tombs etc. I wanted something that had to do with the Pharaoh dying and being resurrected but just couldn’t. Also, I think there is a mixup with Osiris as he is also said to be the god of the underworld (Anubis was first chronologically and then Osiris took his place?). I already had the resurrection aspect in Osiris' card so I didn’t want to create two res cards. Hence, the necromancer style card of Anubis. It's not 100% what I had in mind but I think its overall OK.
- Amun. Where to even begin with this dude. Firstly, I couldn't find a proper image for him while browsing the net. Then I saw that was mostly known as Amun-Ra, being a combination of Amun and Ra together. But I wanted to use Ra alone so I couldn't have Amun-Ra. What I could have done maybe is allow the player to combine the two cards (Amun and Ra) if he had them both in his possession, granting him some greater power or something.
The rest of the cards seemed pretty ok to me and I thought they correspond to their deities quite nicely.
Gimme yer thoughts on the subject if you have the time for it.

Geofonos wrote:One extra thought on this is that, since the Pharaoh can get either 3 or 5 God blessing cards (depending on his strategy), why waste the rest 9 or 7 cards respectively? I'm thinking of making another extra Hero, maybe like a sidekick, something like an Egyptian High Priest with the restrictions of a wizard that would take the rest of the cards and play. Maybe something like Imhotep? I would gladly take Big Bene's guidance for this one.

I'd also like your thoughts on the above addition.

Rewards:
Geofonos

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » Monday July 17th, 2017 12:20pm

Wow, really like this character! I could even see this being adapted to our games, that's how great this is. Good work there! |_P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Big Bene » Tuesday July 18th, 2017 3:26am

I only wanted to say that I have not forgotten the pharaoh.
I will answer your questions, but life is hard to me the last months and the free time I had for the hobby, I had to use preparing the meeting.
Thanks again for this great hero!
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby aaronAGN » Tuesday October 3rd, 2017 10:20pm

I might want to make use of this post for my Chaos in Khemri quest that I'm working on.

Also did you draw all of that yourself?
aaronAGN

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Geofonos » Wednesday October 4th, 2017 12:55am

aaronAGN wrote:I might want to make use of this post for my Chaos in Khemri quest that I'm working on.

Also did you draw all of that yourself?

No. Every image used in the cards was found on the web. I just altered them a bit with GIMP to make them look like I wanted :)

Rewards:
Geofonos

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Heroes