• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ranger

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Re: Ranger

Postby cynthialee » October 16th, 2015, 1:08 pm

having the arrow counters caused my Ranger player to consider if he really needed to use an arrow and occasionally he would dart into stab with a dagger instead of maneuvering and shooting an arrow
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Tott » October 19th, 2015, 8:45 am

cynthialee wrote:I don't get it. 1 extra dice is not a nuke, it is a chance at 1 more Body Point damage. As many of the monsters only have one body point as is, they are already dying from single shots. So the ork dies with 3 or 4 body hits instead of 1 or 2...dead is dead.

I'll second that notion. I've seen KK and others argue in favor of awarding the Barbarian a bonus of +1 to his melee attacks, and pretty much nobody bats an eye at that. Giving a congruent +1 to the Ranger's archery is really not so much better that it needs special consideration. Sure, you can get the drop on each new room of monsters with a more powerful attack, but that advantage will only last for one or two turns before the monsters close with the Heroes. The crossbow from the original Game System can't be used against adjacent opponents, a restriction which tends to carry over into other 'homebrew' bows. Thus, once the monsters start attacking, the Ranger has to either switch weapons or start walking backwards.

cynthialee wrote:We also used arrow counters. The Ranger has not run out yet, but one mission he did get rather low.

Using an ammunition system, by the way, puts a hard and fast limit on the amount of tactical advantage the Heroes can gain from projectile weapons, no matter how many bonus dice you roll while using them.[/quote]

one more dice is a 50% chance at one more skull the monster has to block, and HQ dice only give monsters 1/6 chance of blocking anyway.
Im assuming the description of the ranger without any other home brew rules, just the weapons in the additional armoury. base heroes start with 2 attack dice, melee, while the ranger starts with 3 at range. already a big advantage there. if you're playing european rule and all monsters have 1 body point, then yes your right, 1 extra dice is wasted, dead is dead, but by that logic, why bother rolling at all? cos some monsters can defend. for lots. even so, not many would be able to withstand a ranger shooting at them with 3 dice from range. as soon as he gets an upgrade? nothing stands a chance.

Ive seen the argument for the barbarian +1 attack by default - and i used to be in that camp, play testing stopped that, especially when you get the barbarian a battle axe, its just TOO powerful! gargoyles and ogres dead in one turn. and theres functionaly no difference between a chaos warrior and a goblin. if the barbarians the first in the room its often empty by the time all the other players are in. and that's +1 in melee, which i don't think is as powerful as ranged attacks. if you're setting up a situation where there is never any point in the target rolling defence, because they cannot possibly survive no matter what you roll, what is the point in even rolling the dice? is there even any point in putting those monsters down on the board? an arrow/ammunition system puts a check on it, but then you could end up in a situation similar to the wizards spells, with players saving their spells until the end however, i think with an archer you'd have the the players saving arrows for the stronger monsters and one shoting those while the other heroes plough through the weaker monsters. i dont think either is ideal to be honest.
whats the rules on line of sight with a range weapon? a good ability for an archer is to ignore other heroes when considering line of sight.
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » October 19th, 2015, 4:39 pm

True, my barbarian (Berserker) maxes out at 5 attack dice with the battle axe. But he's also restricted from wearing plate armor and using any kind of ranged weapon, or else he'd be overpowered indeed.
Correspondingly, a hero with +1 on ranged attacks (Pathfinder) will not be able to use a melee weapon for more than 3 attack dice. That only touches on the special rules for heroes given on the rolesheets that deal with which hero can use what equipment. Welcome to my little world of giving fantasy stock character cliché some love and trying to keep balance in the game.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
For all those interested, an example for rolesheet special rules wording, case in point - The Pathfinder:

Unarmed Attacks
When you make an attack roll using no weapon, skulls are hits.

Ranged Attacks
When you make an attack with a ranged weapon, you have a base attack score of 1.

Pathfinder's Restrictions
You cannot use any weapon that adds more than 3 CD (that would be the modifying +3 Longsword instead of vanilla HQ's absolute value 3 AD boradsword/longsword) to your base attack. You also cannot use any armor that adds more than 1 CD to your base defend.

Pathfinder's Equipment
Before your first quest, take the Equipment cards 'Shortsword' and 'Leathershirt'.
The shortsword is your starting weapon, the leathershirt is your starting armor.

Gifts
At the beginning of each quest, discard any 3 skills from the Hero Skill – Gift deck. The remaining deck of 3 skills is at your disposal for the next quest. After it, complete your deck and discard any 3 skills again.

This is still in beta state, but you get the idea.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Heroes