• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

campaign with 5 heroes

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

campaign with 5 heroes

Postby Sotiris » June 3rd, 2014, 3:42 am

A group of 5 friends is interested to play HeroQuest.
They have never played before :o but they're familiar with the subject (ex DnD's, videogamers).
Here are my simple 5 heroes:
and the rules we're going to follow (except the creation character part): viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2057
Any opinions?
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: campaign with 5 heroes

Postby Teldurn » June 3rd, 2014, 9:51 am

I have an idea of what I would do if I were you, but it hinges on the concept that you are allowing the heroes to choose to use the additional WoM spell sets.

• Wizard - same as the original
  • Dwarf - no innate disarm ability but gains permanent +1 defend dice
  • Barbarian - start with short sword, but gains permanent +1 attack dice
  • Elf - exactly as you describe (2 spell sets, no battle axe/plate, etc.)
  • Rogue - Same as original Elf (the chosen spell set must be something that Wizard and Elf have not picked, and only 3 cards if the set has more than 3), but also gains innate disarm ability.
This assures niche protection for every party member, something that each person is better at than everyone else, with little overlap. The barbarian will always hit harder than everyone else even when equally equipped, the dwarf will always be tougher, the wizard always has the most spells, the elf is a best-of-both-worlds, and the rogue can disarm.
War is not the answer...unless the question is, 'What is not the answer?'

Check out Broadsword, a love letter to 90s dungeon crawling board games.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie!Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » June 3rd, 2014, 10:59 am

Teldurn wrote:[*] Dwarf - no innate disarm ability but gains permanent +1 defend dice
[*] Barbarian - start with short sword, but gains permanent +1 attack dice
Barbarian - Attacks on black shields in melee.
Dwarf - Defends on black shields.

How about a new artifact that allows one of the spell casters (maybe wizard only) to get an extra spell set so that they're all used, and maybe another one later on that allows them to use the three choas sorcerer spells from ATOH but risks draining their BP or MP whenever they cast one of them.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Guybrush Threepwood » June 3rd, 2014, 12:57 pm

What about the monsters? A hero more or less does quite make a difference in my experience.
Guybrush Threepwood

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: Deutsch
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » June 3rd, 2014, 1:38 pm

Guybrush Threepwood wrote:What about the monsters? A hero more or less does quite make a difference in my experience.

I believe that "Chaos tokens" and "Search" rules will balance it against 5 heroes. Check here for more details: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2057

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » June 3rd, 2014, 4:44 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:Barbarian - Attacks on black shields in melee.

Maybe my brain isn't functioning correctly, but wouldn't both those changes make both of them much, much weaker?

Unless you mean black shields in addition to whatever else, like Barbarian :blackshield: + :skull: on attack? And similar for Dwarf for defend?

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » June 3rd, 2014, 5:49 pm

Teldurn wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:Barbarian - Attacks on black shields in melee.

Maybe my brain isn't functioning correctly, but wouldn't both those changes make both of them much, much weaker?

Unless you mean black shields in addition to whatever else, like Barbarian :blackshield: + :skull: on attack? And similar for Dwarf for defend?
Yea, sorry, should have made that clearer. I think it's a nicer rule because it's a bit more interesting and it doesn't contradict what the equipment says. It also becomes more useful as they progress because it makes more of a difference the more dice are rolled.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Teldurn » June 3rd, 2014, 10:19 pm

Okay yeah. In that case, it's a very simple and very effective house rule. I really like it!

Rewards:
Teldurn

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sotiris » June 4th, 2014, 3:16 am

I read some nice rules here and you remind me some older thoughts/problems i had in the past with the original heroes..
I'm still thinking your options guys, i haven't decided yet.

Rewards:
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Gold Bearer » June 4th, 2014, 11:00 am

Actually if you're using those rules I'd give the wizard the fourth spell set as standard, or he'll be quite a bit weaker than the others. I'd make a wizard only artifact for the three chaos sorcerer spells that can (or does) cost him MP when he casts them. I think they need the upgrades to match your elf, an extra spell set at the cost of -1BP/+1MP and unable to use the battle axe and plate armour that have major penalties anyway.

The wizard picks a spell set, the elf picks one, the rogue picks one, the wizard picks one, the elf picks one and the wizard gets the other two. I bet the wizard will end up with earth, fire, protection and detection, the elf will have water and darkness and the rogue will have air.

But then you're going to have an extra hero and they'll be improved over the standard ones, so you could give them the abilities that Berien came up with from this thread: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2351 and/or the increased BPs that I'm going to use: Orcs/Zombies 2BP, Fimirs/Mummies 3BP, Chaos Warriors 4BP, Gargoyles 5BP.

I'd also be tempted to add +1 movement (squares, not dice) for the elf and -1 for the dwarf.
Last edited by Gold Bearer on June 5th, 2014, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Heroes