• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hero Scions

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Re: Hero Scions

Postby Big Bene » May 7th, 2014, 6:46 am

The GM has the traps on fixed places as written in the quest description (players can check this after the game if they suspect the GM of cheating). The heroes' players don't know the places until they search for traps or are, well, trapped.
When the saboruer places a trap, all players, including the GM, see where it is placed. If the GM plays as "fifth player", i. e. against the heroes (as somebody in here advocates repeatedly), the monsters will never step on them.
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby chaoticprime » May 7th, 2014, 9:05 am

Even still, that gives the fifth player the exact cost of moving onto that square--which was the point. A deterrent. Monsters cannot ever disarm or jump traps. Therefore, a pit trap in a doorway is anti-everything but Heroes, forever.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » May 7th, 2014, 9:07 am

Can I make a suggestion - just to keep with the simplicity and ease of play...
Put the requirements on the character card, and offer tokens of some sort to
the players, so they know which/how many of the requirements they have
met. That way, no one has to try and keep track of it all on paper. They do
something for it, they get the token immediately.

Also - will there be any cross over on scions? For instance, if someone moves up
in one category two or three times, can they move to a different category straight
from there?

Example:
Player 1: A to B to C
Player 2: D to E to F
Will C offer a route to F, or is that completely off limits now?

It might be neat to have some of the higher levels of scions offer pathways to another type of scion. Granted, the
requirements might be more difficult, but it could really add some incentive for a player.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby torilen » May 7th, 2014, 9:08 am

Big Bene - look back at my first comment, on page one. My suggestion would take care of that problem.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » May 7th, 2014, 9:13 am

I think the requirements will be on the backs of the cards. When I run heroquest, the player advances, not the hero. Heroes are just front-ends, and are disposable. You can choose your hero every game, and retain non-starting equipment.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby TMU » May 8th, 2014, 12:26 pm

I like this. A great way to make old quests interesting again :)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Big Bene » May 9th, 2014, 7:14 am

torilen wrote:Big Bene - look back at my first comment, on page one. My suggestion would take care of that problem.

I already noticed that. My comment was only referring to the original rule as presented by Chaotic.
I think your more elaborate approach makes sense, but then again, simplicity is a virtue too.
chaoticprime wrote:Even still, that gives the fifth player the exact cost of moving onto that square--which was the point. A deterrent. Monsters cannot ever disarm or jump traps. Therefore, a pit trap in a doorway is anti-everything but Heroes, forever.
OK, that answers my question. I think however having traps as obstacles only is a bit weak for a developement as costly as this (no battle axe any more - and this to a dwarf!).
Have a look ;)

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Big Bene

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » May 9th, 2014, 7:57 am

If you think about, the entire point of traps is to catch something. Hiding the traps or not is relative to what you're catching. Not all traps are booby-traps (though in HQ they all essentially are). What I'm proposing is more like just throwing a landmine at someone.

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Previous

Return to Heroes