• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Norse Shaman

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Norse Shaman

Postby gootchute » January 30th, 2014, 11:07 pm

This is a hero I designed recently to replace the Elf. He has his own set of spell cards. He is from Norsca, the frozen land of the north across the Sea of Claws. He may be used in groups that have replaced their Barbarian to keep that Norse flavor, or to double the northern exposure if the barbarian is also in the party!

Image*

He can use any weapons and armor though I usually like the house rule where Elves can't wear plate mail, so I would apply it here as well.

SPELLS (click to expand)

The simplest spell I designed, It is simply an offensive version of Rock Skin. I contemplated making it only work on the Shaman himself, but it seemed to selfish and lacking of tactical options.

This spell simply uses the rules from The Barbarian Quest Pack in interesting ways.

This spell is something completely different, wary Evil Wizard players, or uncreative Heroes can simply us one of the detection spell Future Sight instead.

Of course the Spells of Detection (Wizards of Morcar) and Ice Spells (The Inn) could be substituted or used to enhance the hero.

*Character card made with help from Patrocus' nice little program available here: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=165&t=2227
WHY ARE THESE IMAGES SO SMALL WHEN I LINK THEM IN THE FORUM? IN THE GALLERY THEY ARE THE CORRECT SIZE...

EDIT: Thanks drathe. Worked on the character card but the spell cards I made were too big (used card template on this site, not sure why they are so huge)
Last edited by gootchute on August 16th, 2023, 9:57 am, edited 4 times in total.
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Norse Shaman

Postby drathe » January 31st, 2014, 2:20 am

gootchute wrote:WHY ARE THESE IMAGES SO SMALL WHEN I LINK THEM IN THE FORUM? IN THE GALLERY THEY ARE THE CORRECT SIZE...

They are the same size as the thumbnail images in the album pages. gallery/album.php?album_id=9

If you want to use the medium thumbnail, place the Image-URL code inside IMG tags.

Code: Select all
[img]http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/gallery/image.php?album_id=9&image_id=1057[/img]

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » January 31st, 2014, 2:31 am

I like that guy.
Spells are not overpowered, though I'd prefer to make 6 spells for characters that have their own group and let them pick three out of those before each quest. For the fluff.
Otherwise, the spells are weighted and thematically cohesive.
I like the hand axe being his starting equipment, including the chance to throw it.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » January 31st, 2014, 7:36 am

Good one! A good alternative for the barbarian or even elf I'd say.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby gootchute » January 31st, 2014, 9:18 am

I hope to be using this guy in JasonMCM's upcoming play by post. If the Cast Runes proves to be too specific and hard to use, I may lengthen the window to use the saved dice roll to "whenever" instead of the one turn limit as it stands now.

Zargon/Morcar can make a deck of 6 spells from his three plus three from the Detection or Ice spells for the Shaman to choose from.
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

Postby JasonMCM » January 31st, 2014, 5:01 pm

Additional spell ideas.
Freezing Wind
Target monster you can see takes 1 damage. On a red die roll of 5 or 6 reduce that damage by 1. If the monster takes damage it looses it's next turn.

Ice Spear
3 dice attack on a monster 2 or 3 spaces away from you. The monster defends as normal.

Cunning of the Fox
Until the target hero takes damage he can move, then perform an action, and then finish his move.

Sleep of the Bear
Target hero is restored to full body points but is put to sleep as the sleep spell.

Cry of the Starling
May only be played on a target hero when a monster is placed on the board that the hero can attack. Target hero immediately makes an attack against that monster. Unless the monster is destroyed it doesn't prevent any actions the monster would normally receive such as a wandering monster's free attack.
Do you PBP? I do. See my exploits below.

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby gootchute » June 25th, 2014, 10:21 pm

So after testing this in JasonMCM's PBP game, I have realized that Cast Runes has way to many restrictions to be of any use!

Old Wording:
"The Shaman consults the runes to decipher the twisting winds of fate. Roll 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 combat dice and record the results. Until the Shaman's next turn, this roll may be substituted for any one roll using the same number of combat dice made by any hero or monster the shaman can see."

New Wording:
"The Shaman consults the runes to decipher the twisting winds of fate. Roll 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 combat dice and record the results. This roll may be substituted for any one roll using the same number of combat dice made by any hero or monster in the future. If the roll is not used by the end of the quest it is lost."

It is considerably more useful since it can always be used, but not as powerful as say; Genie, because it still relies on the actual need to alter a roll of the same number dice at some point during the quest. Now it creates a new challenge in it's use. Take the safe route and roll your defense dice in the first turn, or wait until the bag baddie shows up and try rolling his defense/attack!

Also I didn't like the idea of a Norse Warrior Shaman stopping in combat to read runes. I erred on the side of caution when originally designing the spell, and using it has proven to me that I had hamstrung it far too much.

Icy Ground also seemed lack-luster. Does anyone think I should make it last indefinitely instead of one turn?
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

Postby Theopolis » June 26th, 2014, 12:04 am

I like the new wording. For icy ground would it e better to have it usable more than once? You'd have to pick a very important 1x3 square for it to last the whole quest.

I like JasonMCM's suggestions for alternative spells in case icy ground gets the boot. Sleep of the bear is a nice double edge sword.
Theopolis

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby gootchute » June 26th, 2014, 11:00 pm

Theopolis wrote: For icy ground would it e better to have it usable more than once? You'd have to pick a very important 1x3 square for it to last the whole quest.

Yeah but in this regard I think it is similar to the Wall spells or Cloak of Shadows which put things on the board which last (unless destroyed in the case of a wall. When writing it I compared it to Tempest, which makes a monster miss a turn 100% of the time. This could make several monsters miss a turn (depending on board positions) 33% of the time. On paper it balances out, but I think more testing is needed to determine if it is too weak.
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » July 6th, 2014, 1:52 pm

I like the idea of leaving the spell for the whole Quest--if ya got a tile, use it. Perhaps the spell could be made susceptible to fire spells and heat. I don't see it lasting in the dwarven-forge room of KK.

It appears the spell can be cast on water squares. What do you do if the spell covers a pit trap? If not yet sprung, I imagine the spell has no effect on it. If sprung, jumping the pit seems to take the place of checking for slipping on that square. Open interpretation is needed, but that is par for the course when playing HQ, anyway.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Next

Return to Heroes