• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Anti-Heroes (Revenant, Rogue, Witch)

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Anti-Heroes (Revenant, Rogue, Witch)

Postby mikemacdee » May 28th, 2013, 8:42 pm

I revisited my old classes and chose the ones I liked best (which were also the most easily refined) and ended up with a nice selection of anti-heroes: the Revenant, Rogue, and Witch to replace the Barbarian, Elf, and Wizard respectively. Don't have anything for the Dwarf, unfortunately.

UPDATE: This thread has sorta exploded into a discussion about undead in general, so if anyone uses these heroes and wants to leave feedback, just PM me.

Version 2 Revenant, who now can return from death, albeit weaker.

Yeah, everyone's made a rogue before. I think mine has a good balance, though, between combat weakness and overall usefulness in a dungeon.

Super handy to have around, so long as her brains hold out.

Give 'em a whirl and see if they work for you!
Last edited by mikemacdee on May 30th, 2013, 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game.
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Anti-Heroes (Revenant, Rogue, Witch)

Postby chaoticprime » May 28th, 2013, 9:39 pm

These are cool. Although, I would choose something better than 'rogue,' as it actually refers to an idle beggar. Such kind would often pretend to be educated men to deceive others. Rogue has everything to do with deception, and not disarming traps. I hate D&D's third edition for spreading misuse of words like rogue and arcane.

Thief or even Brava (female form of Bravo) would be more appropriate. A Bravo is a a desperado or hired killer/fighter, specifically motivated by wealth or favors.

Of course, HeroQuest already uses terms like longsword, broadsword and chainmail (all three modern misnomers) to describe the bastard sword, arming sword, and mail hauberk, respectively. So, whatever.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mikemacdee » May 28th, 2013, 10:21 pm

chaoticprime wrote:it actually refers to an idle beggar.

That's oversimplifying it a little, isn't it? I've seen it as a term for "beggar" but mostly as a term for any independent outcast. That definition makes more sense with how often it's used to refer to something that's "gone rogue," like a rogue agent or battalion or missile: it's strayed from its designated path and started doing its own thing, probably for the worse.

That's probably why D&D classified so many different castes as "rogue": the sort of person who would live a life of thievery would hardly be a humble conformist.

Meanwhile they go and do the opposite with spellcasters, making each synonym for "wizard" its own classification (though I'm not complaining).

Rewards:
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » May 28th, 2013, 11:06 pm

mikemacdee wrote:
chaoticprime wrote:it actually refers to an idle beggar.

That's oversimplifying it a little, isn't it? I've seen it as a term for "beggar" but mostly as a term for any independent outcast. That definition makes more sense with how often it's used to refer to something that's "gone rogue," like a rogue agent or battalion or missile: it's strayed from its designated path and started doing its own thing, probably for the worse.

That's probably why D&D classified so many different castes as "rogue": the sort of person who would live a life of thievery would hardly be a humble conformist.

Meanwhile they go and do the opposite with spellcasters, making each synonym for "wizard" its own classification (though I'm not complaining).

Yes, like classifying arcane and divine magic. Divinity and Magic are largely the same thing, though one attributes wonders having come from gods, the other from someplace nobody knows. Arcane just means something is shut up inside a closed box--an ark.

Being called a rogue certainly correlates with thievery, but does not actually describe someone of the skillset in question. Just as the above example with the "rogue missile," because missiles can go rogue does not mean you should call them rogues instead of missiles.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby mikemacdee » May 28th, 2013, 11:30 pm

It just strikes me as a broad term, like "warrior" which would encompass knight, barbarian, etc.

Rewards:
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby chaoticprime » May 29th, 2013, 12:46 am

Rogue also describes Barbarians as much as Warrior does. That is probably why the character type was called a Thief, from 1979 til 2001, in Dungeons & Dragons. The very notion that one member of a cooperative party is called a rogue, in the sense as being dysfunctional or outcast, is absurd. Barbarian, Elf, Dwarf, Wizard, Revenant and Witch all describe the backgrounds of warriors. Further specification could then label them as fighters or magic-users, based on the particular training for each. Rogue does not imply being an outcast, it implies an uncertain origin. The word picaroon was used to describe the archetypical adventure types like swashbuckler, pirate, etc. It root, picaro, was basically the Spanish equivalent of rogue, however with emphasis that background was not important. A picaresque hero is one like Sinbad, that should logically be an Arab, but is usually portrayed as a white male. Picaresque and roguish are basically the same thing. But, as I stated earlier, its a corollary. D&D began using rogue to describe thieves, because thieves had been described as roguish before hand, and presumably because they thought rogue sounded cool.

Here is Gygax's take on it.
http://www.dyingearth.com/files/GARY%20 ... 0VANCE.pdf

Rewards:
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » May 29th, 2013, 3:32 am

I like your anti-heroes. I do, because you didn't overpower them as many of us do with custom heroes.
Advantages are weighed down appropriately by loosening the MP + BP = 10 formula.

But for the Revenant I don't see how he takes damage more than others and is more easily affected by spells other than his BP and MP, respectively.
I understand he's the substitute for the Barbarian, so there have to be written down advantages for his -1 AD and -1 BP.
It occurs to me that any physical damage by a monster attack (not by a trap or spell) could be halved (rounded up), for example.
That's one possibility to make your comment of him "taking a lot of damage" tangible.

But I'm sure you have something different in mind...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby mikemacdee » May 29th, 2013, 4:01 am

chaoticprime wrote:A Bravo is a a desperado or hired killer/fighter, specifically motivated by wealth or favors.

Do you have a link to more info on this? I try to make unusual custom classes and am indeed interested in a less cliche class name in any case.

knightkrawler wrote:I like your anti-heroes. I do, because you didn't overpower them as many of us do with custom heroes.

Myself included. *cough*

knightkrawler wrote:But for the Revenant I don't see how he takes damage more than others and is more easily affected by spells other than his BP and MP, respectively.
I understand he's the substitute for the Barbarian, so there have to be written down advantages for his -1 AD and -1 BP.

You're pretty much right: it explains his high BP and low MP. The "poisons and diseases" thing is the main special thing because dungeon-makers can put all kinds of traps and hazards in their quests, like poison needles, poison gas, sewer sludge that damages you to walk through...though I could give him further thought.

Maybe when he dies, he rolls a red die and returns to life in that many rounds (unless all other heroes are down as well) with his max BP reduced by 3? It'd be much more befitting of a revenant (it's French for "return" or something anyway). What do you think?

Rewards:
mikemacdee

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » May 29th, 2013, 5:53 am

I don't know. Revenant means "He who has come back", so basically it's another word for Zombie, but there's no need to fiddle around with words here.
If you're gonna have an undead for a hero, a term which is different from monsters is needed. Revenant is perfect.

Here's another idea: After he suffers the loss of BP, he gets to roll 1 combat die. With a skull he immediately regains 1 BP.
That's kind of how I handle the regeneration power of trolls, though they don't need to roll a die; rather than that, troll regeneration is automatic, so heroes have to hit him with at least 2 BP to hurt him. But that would be much too powerful for a hero.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » May 29th, 2013, 6:38 am

chaoticprime wrote:I would choose something better than 'rogue,' as it actually refers to an idle beggar. Such kind would often pretend to be educated men to deceive others. Rogue has everything to do with deception, and not disarming traps. I hate D&D's third edition for spreading misuse of words like rogue and arcane.

I always though Rogues were like thieves, hiding in shadows. Like Morik the Rogue from the Drizzt books.
But I guess in the fantasy world there are many words we would use differently in real life, that's why it's fantasy, right? ;)

Nice heroes!
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Next

Return to Heroes