• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Named Characters - The Goblin Shop

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Named Characters - The Goblin Shop

Postby torilen » March 2nd, 2013, 4:06 pm

Tenewick Vagbatcher
Goblin Shop Owner
Move: 5 AD: 3 DD: 4 Body: 3 Mind: 2
Possessions: Mace, Leather Armor, Greater Amulet of Chaos Control

Goblin Guard (4 in all)
Guard for Goblin Shop
Move: 4 AD: 3 DD: 2 Body: 2 Mind: 1

Perilen Sordea
Doomguard Warrior
Move: 4 AD: 2 DD: 6 Body: 3 Mind: 3
Special: Uses a battle axe (reroll each attack twice for success)

Five years ago, Tenewick Vagbatcher happened upon the wagon of a traveling wizard, one whom had, for reason which have never been divulged, died. Within the wizard's wagon, Tenewick found a magical mirror that held a permanent portal to a town which possessed several well-stocked shops. Tenewick also found a follower of Chaos, a Doomguard Warrior, who was just sitting, waiting for the wizard to give him orders. The shrewd goblin discovered that the wizard had a very special amulet that controlled the warrior. It allowed the warrior personal freedom, but saw the wizard as his master in every way, and would obey the wizard's every command. Once Tenewick placed the amulet around his neck, the Doomguard Warrior saw the goblin as his master. Tenewick was delighted.

The goblin, who has a higher-than-average intelligence, quickly thought up a way to make great profit from his new discoveries. He found that the mirror was very easy to move, and so he could go wherever he pleased. He had a small building constructed near a well-known dungeon, placing the mirror in a back room which is hidden by a curtain. Outside the building, Tenewick advertises that any typical, normal piece of equipment, as well as any typical, normal weapon and armor, can be purchased within his shop. In the main room of the building, he also posts the day's "specials", that being any magical weapon, armor, or piece of equipment that might be found within the town's several shops. Tenewick also often posts a list of potions that might be available, though this list changes from day to day, just as the special weapons, armors, and equipment.

Whenever someone comes in to make a purchase, Tenewick takes the order, and then makes his way behind the curtain. He enters the mirror-portal and goes to the proper shop within the town. He makes the needed purchase and takes the item back to the customer at his shop. Tenewick typically charges 10 gold for every 100 gold of the actual purchase. This is his fee for making his customers' lives easier, as he sees it.

In addition to Perilen Sordea, the Doomguard Warrior, Tenewick keeps four goblins warriors under contract to act as guards for his shop. He pays these four goblins 3 gold per week, and lets them keep the possessions of any problems that the guards must take care of, along with the possessions of any problems that the guards might 'create'. Since Perilen sees Tenewick as his master, and follows his commands without question, Tenewick feels no need to offer payment to the man. He does, however, ensure that Perilen's life is very luxurious, as he has come to like the large fellow, coming just short of seeing him as a friend, by now.

Currently, Tenewick is saving up as much of his gold as he can. He hopes that soon he will have enough gold to have another mirror-portal created, allowing him to open a shop in a different location, making his flow of income even greater.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Named Characters - The Goblin Shop

Postby Daedalus » March 5th, 2013, 2:02 am

Great character additions that can drop right in.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 27th, 2018, 1:05 am

So, you place them in a room? Goblin Shop owner, four goblins and a Chaos Warrior, announcing that they sell Items? :D

I think there should be some bounce-back if the Heroes attack. Maybe they take the Chaos Amulett, that Doomguard follows from that minute on - but it has some long lasting side effects. When the Doomguard finally dies from all the traps the hero lets him step on, the effect shifts to the next person: The next owner of that amulet might control the hero. :lol:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » May 27th, 2018, 4:02 am

Great concept. But the heroes will never know the character background I presume? They just see a goblin salesman and his guards?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » May 27th, 2018, 7:02 am

Unless they talk to Tenewick.

Anderas, great idea. I know I didn't put in any ill effects if the heroes attack and take the amulet.
I figured I would let the GM decide on that.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » May 27th, 2018, 7:46 am

torilen wrote:Unless they talk to Tenewick.

Anderas, great idea. I know I didn't put in any ill effects if the heroes attack and take the amulet.
I figured I would let the GM decide on that.

But Tenewick wouldn't revel the secret details of his operation?
Also, the heroes stealing the amulet is one thing. If Tenewik told me everything I would definitely kill him and steal the mirror as well.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby aaronAGN » May 27th, 2018, 9:23 am

Oh man! Those are some fantastic additions! I came up with some NPCs and shopkeepers and such of my own. But NOTHING as detailed as yours. Great job! Puts mine to shame. Time to revamp my NPC set. You've inspired me!
aaronAGN

Storm Master
Storm Master

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » May 27th, 2018, 10:03 am

AaronAGN - glad I could inspire. I love to hear
that.

Goblin king - true, he probably would not. He might
Divuldge a bit by acceident. He is arrogant and flamboyant
And flashy. I will post the intro tonight when I get home.
I am at work right now wirh no way to post it easily.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » May 27th, 2018, 9:33 pm

Here is the information about Tenewick and his shop. The first section might seem a bit lengthy, but it is not,
really. It would add very little in the way of role playing, should anyone wish to use The Goblin Shop as a
regular HQ encounter/setting.

The second part adds more to the role playing, giving the Evil Wizard an idea of how Tenewick and his
minions should be played out.

UPON ENTERING THE GOBLIN SHOP
A fifth goblin stands behind the counter, and eyes you greedily as you enter the shop. This goblin, unlike his companions,
has a bright glimmer in his eyes, almost as if he is quite intelligent and clever. Standing at almost four feet tall, he looks
quite fancy, wearing a brown linen shirt and a green leather vest - a vest that matches the green leather, wide-brimmed
hat that hangs on a hook on the wall behind him, a hat which has large white feather sticking out from the side.

This goblin, most likely Tenewick Vagbatcher, the owner of the shop, walks out from behind the counter as you enter,
spreading his arms out wide a grinning, yellow and crooked teeth hanging in his mouth. You see rings on both hands, and
now notice a pendent with a red gem hanging around his neck. Gold rings, one in each ear and one in his nose, glimmer
as much as the rings on his hands. His brown linen pants are as clean as the shirt, and his black knee-high boots shine brightly.

“Welcome, friends, welcome. Welcome to my “Shop of Desires”. The goblin says loudly in a low, gravely voice, chuckling
lightly. “I am Tenewick Vagbatcher, proud proprietor of this elegant establishment, and I will happily sell you almost anything
you might want or need.” He bows lowly as he finishes, then stands up straight again, the grin on his face even wider than
before. He spins around slowly, point a long, clawed finger at the walls and tables as he does so.

“Please, look around and see if anything strikes your fancy. And please take a look at the board on the wall behind the counter
for my Specials of the Day. I will let you browse, but let me know immediately when you decide what you want.” With that,
Tenewick walks back over to the right side of the counter and stands beside the mail-suited guard. He continues to watch you
hawkishly, however.

HOW TO PLAY TENEWICK
Tenewick Vagbatcher may be more intelligent than most goblins and more ambitious than most goblins, but he is, in the end,
a goblin. He is conniving. He is deceitful. He is cowardly. Tenewick will try to sell anything and everything to those who enter
his shop, and will haggle over the price for everything. He will attempt to tell his customers that the place from which he gets
his supplies charges more than other places for the same items, and he has gotten very good at lying about this. He is adamant,
however, about his “finder’s fee” of 10 gold per 100 gold of an item’s price. If any customer manages to haggle well enough with
Tenewick that he is barely going to break even between the money he must pay for an item and the money he will get from the
customer, he will throw a complete fit, ranting and raving about how horrible the customer is, how greedy the customer is, and
will threaten to have his guards throw the customer out - after they rough him or her up first, of course.

Tenewick is just a few inches under four feet tall, has the typical leathery green skin of a goblin, and has a low, gravely voice. Unlike
most goblins, he takes pride in how he looks, and so washes a few times a week and makes sure that his clothing - typically a brown
linen shirt, brown linen pants, a green leather vest, and black leather boots - are clean and relatively stain-free. He typically wears
two rings on each hand, a pendant with a ruby gem, and a gold ring in each ear, as well as one in his nose. If he is seen outside of his
shop, he usually wears a wide-brimmed, green leather hat with a white feather sticking out of the left side.

If Tenewick thinks that trouble is going to start, he will immediately call out to his guards to take over in the situation; he will not wait
for trouble to actually begin. The 4 goblin guards will close in on whoever Tenewick say is the trouble maker, spears held out at and the
ready. Meanwhile, Perilen will close in from the counter and try to force the troublemaker toward the door, allowing the goblin guards
to stay on the flanks and keep the troublemaker from making a break to the side. Tenewick will stay behind the counter (or will move to
behind the counter if he had come out front to speak with a customer). He will have his mace, which normally hangs off a belt at his waist,
in hand and at the ready, just in case his guards cannot handle the situation entirely. Once a troublemaker has been forced out the door and
a few dozen yards away from the building, Tenewick will come outside and shout at the troublemaker, typically calling the individual
horrible names and threatening to kill them on sight should they ever come to his shop again.

This threat is more bluster and bluff than anything else, as a few “troublemakers” have found. Several individuals who had been kicked out
for haggling a bit too much returned a few weeks after the incident and found Tenewick in his usual charming mood. One or two, however,
tried to return and have not been seen again. It should be noted that newly torn up patches of ground were seen in the woods behind the
building a few days after those individuals disappeared, but no one pressed any sort of investigation. Most likely, no one would have been
able to do anything to Tenewick anyhow, as his building stands outside the jurisdiction of any nearby villages or towns, and a handful of
“troublemakers” disappearing is not enough to catch the attention of higher officials.

It is worth taking note that Tenewick does not really like his shop to be called The Goblin Shop. He knows that the majority of visitors will
call it that, and admits that it has a quality that allows customers to remember him and his shop, but he still finds it somewhat insulting.
The sign standing outside of the building says “Tenewick’s Shop of Desires”, and he strongly prefers that people use that name.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Goblin-King » May 28th, 2018, 2:54 am

It is worth taking note that Tenewick does not really like his shop to be called The Goblin Shop. He knows that the majority of visitors will
call it that, and admits that it has a quality that allows customers to remember him and his shop, but he still finds it somewhat insulting.
The sign standing outside of the building says “Tenewick’s Shop of Desires”, and he strongly prefers that people use that name.

*Looks at topic*

ooh...

*inhales through teeth* :bites-lip:

Rewards:
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Heroes