• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Hero: Trollslayer

Discuss the creation of new Heroes and share Heroes you've created.

Hero: Trollslayer

Postby Sjeng » January 7th, 2013, 3:07 pm

So, as I was browsing the forum, someone mentioned Kili Thekkrsson, a new hero from the Halls of Durrag Dol quest. So, I decided to make him a card:

Hero_Kili_Trollslayer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Hero: Trollslayer

Postby torilen » January 7th, 2013, 6:23 pm

If I might make some comments - this seems a bit overpowered and/or not quite balanced.
I don't remember if anyone else agreed with this analysis, but if you look at the original
heroes - their statistics (body and mind points) added up to 10, no more, no less...and
all heroes had at least 2 DD, WITHOUT armor.

Also, allowing this hero to automatically disarm traps and/or remove traps displaces the
need for the dwarf, without giving this hero much difference between itself and the dwarf.
And there is little to mention for the name in any of the statistical part of the hero
(i.e. why is it called trollslayer?)

Just some thoughts.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » January 8th, 2013, 2:03 am

I know, but his stats are like this in the magazine quest, I simply copied them. He does replace the regular Dwarf, so you never play them both.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Fullork345 » January 9th, 2013, 7:47 pm

I was the one who made that thread, perhaps I should have made it here.

He's written in the uk rules where the dwarf would automaticly disarm a trap. basicly he starts with less DD, has a base of 3 AD like the barb, but can't use crossbows or plate armor.

I was trying to get some ideas on how to turn him into a US version.
Fullork345

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Seb » January 12th, 2013, 1:25 am

Where did you find the great artwork for him? Very nice piece.

- Seb

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » January 12th, 2013, 6:23 am

just googled dwarven trollslayer :)

Rewards:
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Seb » January 12th, 2013, 6:59 pm

Get out.. I did similar and didnt come across this image hahah. The vagaries of search engines! :D

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Seb

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ScooterinAB » April 18th, 2013, 7:24 pm

I believe the original working is that you disarm as a Dwarf. In the US version, that means disarming on a roll of anything but a black shield.

I do agree, though, that the Dwarf and Trollslayer (as originally printed) don't differ enough. I'd consider some kind of berserk ability (optional extra attack die, but loses a body point on a black shield) or something. Of course, this creates a slippery slope of wanting special rules for characters, or complicating gameplay (like the Rogue character).

As for the defense problem, this highlights a greater issue (at least for me) about equipment and magic. If there were more treasures and artifacts to the Trollslayer's low defense, I think he'd be a really interesting character. Trollslayers don't wear armor, but I recall that they have other options available.
ScooterinAB

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 21st, 2013, 11:50 am

I some of us agree that an alternate Trollslayer similar to your suggestions would be worthwhile. Check out this Halls of Durrag-Dol thread that includes such a card.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Heroes