• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Ideas for this quest treasure

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Re: Ideas for this quest treasure

Postby cynthialee » November 14th, 2011, 3:07 pm

Enchant Personal Weapon
This book contains a spell that when invoked by a Wizard will transform the Wizards weapon into a formidible weapon. The Hero may roll 3 extra combat dice for melee strikes with this weapon for a duration of turns equal to the roll of 1D3. This weapon may not be passed to Another hero.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Ethica » November 15th, 2011, 9:26 am

Daedalus wrote:Everybody knows the Wizard is weak. Make it a book that breaks the limit of 9 spells, increasing it by 3 more that are derived from a new spell group of your selection. Award it whenever you feel is the right time for a power-up.

This is the best idea, I think that's what I'm going to do.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » November 15th, 2011, 11:37 am

As many cards use the same graphic you could go with a few ideas for the card.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » November 15th, 2011, 2:57 pm

daedalus - I like that idea, too...now that I've had a chance to actually sit and read it and have the brain power
to think about it. Instead of having an advancement system...at least for the wizard, he would just have spell
books that he gains from treasure. Great thought.

You could even allow some books to "power-up" the spells chosen, giving better results from the spells. You know,
more damage or healing...better range or accuracy...stuff like that.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » November 17th, 2011, 4:37 pm

Ya, this could easily be built into an advancement system by awarding a spell-group book after finishing a Quest set- the 1st 14 Quests, KK, and RotWL could each award a second use of an element group. To keep track, turn a card of the spell group 90 degrees or upside-down after one casting, then turn it over after the second casting. The spell groups from WoM could instead be awarded as books for those Quest sets, or they could be saved for the later expansions. OH and WoM are shorter, so they could optionally be combined for a single spell-group book award after completion of both. The BQP, EQP, (and maybe even DC?) could also award a spell-group book each. Of course, home-brew spell groups could be incorporated instead for completion of any Quest set. Also, substantial home-brew Quest sets could also offer a spell-group book award.

To parallel leveling with other Heroes using Gold Coins, the spell group books could be assigned a research cost and purchased at the Wizard's College. This is separate from, but parallels the Armory in purpose and use. Somewhere between 300 and 500 Gold Coins per group, I think. That way the Wizard would have something to spend treasure on other than Mercenaries and (overpriced) Potions. It may be necessary for the Emperor or such to restrict use of the Wizard's College until the appropriate Quest set is completed, as later Quest expansions award quite a lot more gold-coin treasure.

With all this magical levelling going on, maybe the Elf should get a piece of the action at a slower pace and higher cost. After a Quest set is complete the Elf could gain 1 spell instead of a spell group. I feel the Elf spell group makes the most sense for the source of these additional spells, but another spell group may be chosen instead. Three spells of a group must be chosen before another group may be selected from (to prevent cherry-picking). As for cost, maybe 100 to 300 Gold Coins is fair.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Ethica » July 12th, 2012, 5:44 pm

I made some new quest treasures see-
Cloak of Shadows.jpg

Crown of Embers.jpg

Sword of Tenacity 2.jpg

The Dragon Bow.jpg

Overpowered or Pointless?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » July 13th, 2012, 1:48 am

The cloak of shadows may be a little overpowered if a hero may pass through opponents every time.
You could set a limit of one or two monsters per hero's movement that can be passed through.

I really like the dragon bow, though I prefer 2 AD for my bows. But otherwise it's balanced and you can always explain the 3 AD with the "It's a freaking artifact"-reason.

The sword of tenacity leaves it unclear if the monster may defend against the second and third attack.
If it may not, the sword's way overpowered; if it may, I feel play gets prolonged a little too much. Keep in mind, it's every turn.
How about using 3 AD with every black shield counting as two skulls or some other one-roll-solution? That's my personal taste, of course.

The crown of embers is overpowered in its offensive, perfectly balanced in its defensive aspects. For example, 4 extra AD until there is no monster in sight, may be too much (or better said, too long. I mean, 8 AD with the battleaxe for one or two opponents is ok, really).
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby ken » July 13th, 2012, 5:02 am

Just came across this thread. The picture in the first post looks like The Janitors' "Domestos Doomsday Compendium of Spells" to me.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: British English
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » July 13th, 2012, 9:31 am

knightkrawler wrote:The cloak of shadows may be a little overpowered if a hero may pass through opponents every time.
You could set a limit of one or two monsters per hero's movement that can be passed through.

It does make the veil of mist seem a bit crappy. I might change this to a movement improver, say +1 to fixed movements.

knightkrawler wrote:The sword of tenacity leaves it unclear if the monster may defend against the second and third attack.
If it may not, the sword's way overpowered; if it may, I feel play gets prolonged a little too much. Keep in mind, it's every turn.
How about using 3 AD with every black shield counting as two skulls or some other one-roll-solution? That's my personal taste, of course.

Going to change this to only 1 additional attack of 1 combat dice. This makes it more on par with Orcs Bane, but a bit more appealing.

knightkrawler wrote:The crown of embers is overpowered in its offensive, perfectly balanced in its defensive aspects. For example, 4 extra AD until there is no monster in sight, may be too much (or better said, too long. I mean, 8 AD with the battleaxe for one or two opponents is ok, really).

Agree. Will need to rethingk this one.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby shy-design » July 13th, 2012, 10:13 am

Ethica wrote:I have this nice picture for a cool quest treasure but can't think of a decent idea of what it could be. Any suggestions?
Book Card.jpg

or it could be the Necronomicon. Use it to summon the dead to aid you in battle. i.e. roll 1d6. on a 1-2=1 skeleton, 3-4=2 skeletons, 5-6=3 skeletons... just an idea. something a little more dark and twisted muhahaha.

:skeleton: Use the skeleton card to dictate its movement and attack/defense strength... they still roll black shields for defense. :blackshield:

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
shy-design

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cards