• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Looking for custom Skill Cards

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Looking for custom Skill Cards

Postby Azure » Wednesday October 20th, 2021 11:21am

Hi there fellow HeroQuest and AdvancedHQ players.

Anybody here would have an extensive list of Skills to choose from ?

I downloaded the Enhanced Advanced HeroQuest PDF, I know there are some skill cards in there - but I need more.

I want to provide the players with additional ''options'' for combat and class skills when they complete 3-6-9-12 quests, instead of simply ''attacking'' or ''seaching''.

The goal is to avoid skill trees altogether (or any other complicated skill generator) and create a nice ''pick and choose'' mindset. ( Similar to HADES the action game )

At quest no 3, the player draws 3 cards from the Skill Deck and keeps them all (unless the skill is unrelated to his class - then he gets to draw another one)

At quest 5, they increase their hand to 5 cards. They can replace a card after a quest, but it will come at random in a selection of 3 cards that were drawn from the deck.

Any Skill list available that anybody wants to share ?
Thanks !!
Azure

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Looking for custom Skill Cards

Postby cornixt » Wednesday October 20th, 2021 11:35am

Do you intend these to be once-per-quest skill usages, like spells? It seems to be a lot of skills to get, so they would have to be pretty weak too or they would make the quests too easy.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Kurgan » Wednesday October 20th, 2021 12:02pm

The skills I have are specially tailored to my custom characters (based on legacy of sorasil) and a couple intended just for the bad guys, so may or may not be what you're looking for:

Elementalist skills:
Wall of Flame
Wall of Water
Flame of Healing
Healing Wind
Fear
Rust
Lightning Bolt
Demoralize

Cleric Skills:
Heal Allies
Recovery (Healing)

Paladin Skills:
Holy Flame
Holy Water (generated potion equivalent to a Spell Scroll)

Ranger Skill:
Detect Traps & Secret Doors

Chaos Skills (added to Evil Wizard Deck):
Monster Shield (lesser monster takes the hit intended for designated villain)
Chaotic Defense (designated villain gets to defend with blue dice till end of the quest)

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Kurgan

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby lestodante » Wednesday October 20th, 2021 12:04pm

I am doing a deck where each hero can draw a special ability card after every quest. The hero that accomplished the quest goal will draw 2 cards instead of 1.
Once used, a skill card must be discarded. If not used, the hero can save the skill card for later quests but can still draw one more card after each completed quest but he can't collect more cards than his Mind Points, so he must eventualy discard a previous one.
Some cards lasts for the whole quests, adding a bonus on movement or with searches, other are just special actions that can be used once.
A second deck is available for Magic Skills, available only for Wizard and Elf (or any other spellcaster) while the first deck is available for all heroes (but the wizard will not be able to use some of them).
Some of this abilities are shared with the Temple Deck made by Anderas (search his post) and work in the same way.

Rewards:
Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
lestodante

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » Wednesday October 20th, 2021 3:50pm

My skill cards:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/4HzdryS

Heroes receive 1XP for
-completing a quest
-recovering an artifact
-killing a named monster

When they get enough XP, they go up one battle level and get one of three skills. The backs of my hero cards have the skill choices. You roll 1D6, on a 1 or 2 it’s skill X; on a 3-4 it’s skill Y, and 5-6 it’s skill Z:
https://postimg.cc/gallery/4NMMhsL

I agree it’s more fun to have a different path of progression each time, and this helps. The skills I use are more flavoursome than game-breaking. There’s lots here at the Inn, my favourite one I found was “Titans Toss” where a hero picks up and chicks furniture!

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Azure » Thursday October 21st, 2021 12:38pm

@LESTODANTE
@STIG

Your skills and ideas are great.
I actually re-read something I was looking for in the Advanced HeroQuest PDF document.
When the heroes are at rank 1 (Adventurer/Novice), they have 1 skill card.
At rank 2 (Veteran) they have acces to 3 skill cards. Finally at rank 3 (Champion), they have 6 skill cards.
Each card can be used only once per quests. Sometimes it acts like a battle technique, sometimes it serves to demonstrate marksmanship and re-roll a flunky combat roll and other times it modifies how a spell or movement works.

EDIT : Ranks are earned on a basis of the number of quests completed.
Rank 2 is accessible at 5 quests completed and Rank 3 at 10 quests completed.
Thanks for your ideas, I will use some of them in my campaign.

Stig, I see you got inspired by ShowDownDave35.
Azure

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Return to Cards