• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Dungeon Encounter cards - A solo / Coop mod

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Re: Dungeon Encounter cards - A solo / Coop mod

Postby Maike05 » Sunday December 27th, 2020 9:32am

Hello,
Here is a quick update and a new design.
Carte Rencontre HQ - Skavens - 01 .png

On the above encounter card, 1 player would face a skaven warriors, 2 players would fight a skaven warrior accompanied by 2 skaven crossbowmen, 3 players would be attacked by a swarm of 4 giant rats and 4 players would battle a Shaman, 2 warriors and an Ogre.

Here is what has changed :
-Normalized all colors to brown: no more black together with brown lines
-The reward box has been removed. It will be replaced by either a Loot deck as suggested by QorDaq (can also be a loot table to your taste).
-The 1-2-3-4 player boxes have been resized to fit the card.
-Added 'ENCOUNTER' text on the bottom as in original HQ card design.
-Filtered through HeroScribe's icons to find a selection of good looking monster icons. As mentionned in the early introductory message, I plan to have support for all base monsters (greenskins, undead, chaos). I added support for range monsters and spellcasters.

I made an alternative classical Brown & White EU design as well:
Carte Rencontre HQ - Skavens - 10 - classic.png

If there is enough demand, I'll try to come up with an original US design as well :)

Here is what is not yet implemented:
-Encounter's difficulty rating system - see below current thoughs / ideas
-Each card should have a unique reference number / identifier
-Card back illustration

If you guys have good ideas - feel free to share them !

Regarding the encounter's difficulty rating system, I'm currently pondering the following ideas:
-Use star rating icons: It is very visual but takes more space. If I use this, it could be placed instead of the 'ENCOUNTER' text.
-Use a WIFI like rating icons: takes less space but does not fit in a fantasy setting
-Use a risk scoring gauge: takes little space and can easily tailored to a fantasy design. It could be placed on the top right corner.
-Maybe don't use an icon system at all (the card is maybe already too crowded ?), but give each card a unique reference - see below

Which one do you think would be most appropriate ? Do you think it is even necessary at all ? What do you think should be the proportion of easy - medium - difficult encounters in the deck ? I have not made proportion rules yet, but I feel I should.

About the unique reference number / identifier, I think the reference number should have : Monster Group - Encounter Level - Number
- A potential design option could for instance be : Eg: EG01 (Encounter Greenskins, EU02 (Encounter Undead), ES05 (Encounter Skaven)
- We could also simply modify the 'ENCOUNTER' text - 'ENCOUNTER - LEVEL 1'

About the card back illustration, I think someone mentionned we could use the wandering monster illustration. I think this is the best idea since it stay true to the original. What do you guys think? :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Previous

Return to Cards