• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Cards for Carlos' Starter Pack

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Cards for Carlos' Starter Pack

Postby Davane » Tuesday November 3rd, 2020 7:56pm

I have started creating and playing HeroQuest on Roll20, and I have been working on creating a hybrid between the UK and US versions of the cards for uploading digital assets.

In creating a new campaign for a friend, where we intend to cover the entire chronology of the official HeroQuest products, I was impressed by Carlo's Starter Pack of Quests and the improved Armour and Weaponsmith. It's a great way to introduce some relatively easy quests before The Gather Storm (Base Game Quests). As part of creating this for Roll20, I created a number of new cards based on items in the improved Armoury. I figured I would share my first attempt at card making with you all here.

The following new Equipment:

New and updated consumables:
These more common items can be purchased between Quests, giving the Heroes something to always spend their money on. Unchanged from Carlos' Starter Pack.

The Boots of Lightfoot:
This Boots of Lightfoot allows the Heroes to move a little faster. Unchanged from Carlos' Starter Pack.

The Large Shield:
The Large Shield allows the character an additional combat die in defence, for those that want to tank. No Body requirement. Otherwise unchanged from Carlos' Starter Pack.

A bunch of new melee weapons:
These allow more melee options, at varying price ranges. The Rapier is a renamed Bastard Sword. There's no Bastard Sword, because the Longsword replaces it. All others, and the effects of the renamed Bastard Sword, are unchanged from Carlos' Starter Pack.

New bows, and ammunition to go with them:
I noticed that the Shortbow and Longbow can be used in melee and in ranged combat, but this didn't seem to overpowered for me. No range limitations. The Bolts and Arrows provide an additional combat die when attacking, but last for one Quest only, giving ranged Heroes something to spend their money on between Quests. The Fire Arrow ONLY adds two additional combat dice to Mummies and is one use only. Yes, that means a Hero with a Longbow and a Fire Arrow can attack a Mummy for FIVE combat dice. But since buying a Holy Water which destroys Mummies costs only 100 gold coins, this doesn't seem overpowered. Everything else unchanged from Carlos' Starter Pack.

Finally, some new artefacts:
These are artefacts, as I don't allow Heroes to buy (or re-buy) artefacts, so anything priced over 1000 gold coins is automatically an artefact. The Ring of Regeneration has been changed - it allows a Hero to skip a turn to regain 1 BP, but can only be used when there isn't a monster present (visible) on the board. It's a very powerful artefact, which is good for those Heroes that simply like to wade in regardless of consequences, normally taking a lot of damage during each fight. Otherwise unchanged from Carlos' Starter Pack.

All in all, I really like Carlos' Starter Pack, and these cards just help bring that extra value to it. Now I just need to create adventures where I can give my new Artefacts to the Heroes, but not until after a good fight!
"The HeroQuest World is loosely based on the Warhammer World which is the copyright of Games Workshop and is used by their permission."

HeroQuest Combined English Edition Rule Book (HQ CERB)
Davane

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Return to Cards