• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Modified Equipment Cards + Accompanying Rules

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Modified Equipment Cards + Accompanying Rules

Postby arntisdale » June 14th, 2020, 4:23 pm

Greetings all!
I'm fairly new here, discovering Ye Olde Inn has been like discovering a treasure hoarde of HeroQuest goodness!
Me and my brother got a copy of HeroQuest for Christmas (I think) when we were kids, around 13 years old. Have very fond memories of playing with my brother and aunt. We only had the base game.
I got a copy of the US base game plus Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord recently, and that was the beginning of my new quest to re-discover HeroQuest.
One thing that I remember, playing Zargon as a youngster, was that eventually most of the heroes were running around in plate mail with battle axes and stomping the dungeons quite efficiently, so I'm working on a new equipment set, and some rules that let equipment play a more important, yet at the same time, a more restrictive role in the game. Much, if not all of what I came up with was inspired by something or another that I came across here at the Inn.
I've re-worked the price system considerably, added rules for weapon breakage. I'm trying to make equipment much more important, so that when the barbarian breaks his broadsword on a chaos warrior, he's thankful for the club that he finds in a cabinet in the next room. I'll likely mess with the treasure card set as well.
Anyway, much of this is just wild ideas, completely un-playtested, with my beginning houserule set, which is mostly me thinking on a word document, and copy/pasting things that I found at the Inn that I didn't want to forget.
Anyway, here's two things: the first is my rule modification ramblings, the second is my attempt at a new and glorious equipment deck
EDIT: removed houserules link
equipment: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1guVY39LWgeAHah2c9HrYOpNDGUES04oK?usp=sharing
EDIT: changed the equipment link to the individual png files instead of one monster pdf
Please, constructive criticism is what I need here. Some of my ideas may not work at all, and since I haven't played in so long, it would be helpful to get some insight from those who have been longtime Heroquest players.
There's some images in the cards that I still need to flesh out, and I'm planning on adding some borders at some point.
It's also worth mentioning that I don't have any graphics editing software, I'm using notebook software, which is primarily a teaching tool (I'm a high school math/science/physics teacher). So I'm doing my best with what I have to work with, and what I already know without opening up the can of worms that is photoshop or Adobe illustrator, or whatever else is out there.
I don't have any advanced heroquest either, so I can't use anything from that.
The symbol system I'm using is fairly intuitive (I think), the only one that anyone might confuse is the diagonal icon (diagonal spear) with the unwieldly icon (guy with polearm)
Once again, seeking constructive criticism and insight.
Thanks in advance!!
arntisdale

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Modified Equipment Cards + Accompanying Rules

Postby arntisdale » June 30th, 2020, 3:15 pm

I've updated all of the card images. (see link in 1st post)
All the images should now be fairly consistent.
I've gone to NA-style with no borders.
Please check it out at let me know what you think!
arntisdale

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Postby Palindala » July 8th, 2020, 2:55 am

I like the style of your cards very much! :D

Guess my heroes :dwarf: :elf: :wizard: :barbarian: will still not buy very much of that since your prices are on quite a high level. :roll:
Palindala

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar

Postby arntisdale » July 8th, 2020, 11:33 am

Thank you!
I'm also working on a treasure deck that has a slightly higher reward tier than the standard treasure deck (more dangerous too!). Additionally, there will be a rare 'draw one random equipment' card in the treasure deck (equipment drawn will be limited by price given hero's # quests completed). These two things should keep the income/purchase rate at a level that is worth working toward, but doesn't let heroes steamroll the dungeon by the time they're on the 8th quest and everyone but the wizard has battle axes helmets and platemail. I remember this was an issue with the original NA HeroQuest.
The prices system lets Zargon have a bit more control, you can throw on some bit of equipment as a scripted treasure when you think it's needed, but I like the way the smaller equipment stays fairly affordable while the bigger better things get very expensive.
This is also combined with a weapon breakage system, which I discuss here:
http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=5316
It can be interesting when the elf breaks his shortsword on a fimir, and then tries dual wielding daggers.
The essence of what I'm trying to accomplish with this still under construction system is create a slower crawl to power, ensure heroes always have something to work toward, and keep a fun/challenging setup in place.
arntisdale

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Return to Cards