• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Help making UK card sets!

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Help making UK card sets!

Postby khimbar » July 22nd, 2019, 2:18 pm

Hello all,

I'm planning on making a UK version of HeroQuest for a gift for someone and also one for me to play so I don't have to venture into my loft to get my one down. Also I don't trust my 3 year old with the original, yet...

With this in mind I need some help re the cards.

I've seen the available PDFs but when I can't for the life of me get them aligned properly. And when I make cards I tend to use a different method, aligning 4 to a page and folding them over some card stock, something I learned from Boardgamegeek.

What I'm looking for then is good quality scans of the UK base set, if anyone can point me to them. Or if anyone has done them already on a centre fold layout?

Thanks in advance.
khimbar

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Help making UK card sets!

Postby khimbar » July 28th, 2019, 11:06 am

Is anyone able to help?

I would like the EU/UK treasure base set cards if anyone has them?

Thanks.
khimbar

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Anderas » July 28th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Depends on your printer.
If you turn off any alignment and positioning automatic you can find, it should work fine

Else go for NA cards. They have no borders and are a little bit easier to align, or rather, bad production won't spring to your eye so readily.

Else go for card sleeves. You'd need to print only the front, as the back is not visible in most sleeves.

Else go to the professional printer service. They are rather fast, cheap and you have real game cards in your hands.

Else try the search function in this forum

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby khimbar » July 28th, 2019, 1:39 pm

Anderas wrote:Depends on your printer.
If you turn off any alignment and positioning automatic you can find, it should work fine

It doesn't, and I use a better method.

Else go for NA cards. They have no borders and are a little bit easier to align, or rather, bad production won't spring to your eye so readily.

I'm specifically making a UK version as a present.

Else go for card sleeves. You'd need to print only the front, as the back is not visible in most sleeves.

It's easy to print backs with the 4 a page method and sleeves disguise the linen finish.

Else go to the professional printer service. They are rather fast, cheap and you have real game cards in your hands.

I can make nice cards with linen paper and card core.

Else try the search function in this forum

I have searched, there are no active links to the card scans. And the pdfs don't let you copy the images out. Unless you know something I don't and don't want to share.

khimbar

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Decipher » July 28th, 2019, 3:35 pm

I mentioned in another post that I have the US version of all the cards ready for print at 300 dpi which most professional printers print at. I also have them sized at a standard 2.5 X 3.5 playing card size. I haven't messed with the UK version but I'm off the next two days, I'd be willing to do the same for you guys then share them here.

Shouldn't take more than 5 or 6 hours to do all the cards.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby khimbar » July 28th, 2019, 3:43 pm

That would be incredible thank you. I'm off to my loft tomorrow to see how accessible mine is but that would be so cool if you have good scans.

Poker size might be a nice upgrade actually...
khimbar

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Decipher » July 28th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Yeah, it feels more natural poker size. Definitely an upgrade. I'll try to knock some cards out tonight after work.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Decipher

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby khimbar » July 28th, 2019, 3:55 pm

Decipher wrote:Yeah, it feels more natural poker size. Definitely an upgrade. I'll try to knock some cards out tonight after work.

I've pnp'd many free games and agree, poker size is my go to scale. WIth this being a gift I was trying to keep it as original as possible but if they're all the same scale I could be convinced to upscale.
khimbar

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Postby Anderas » July 28th, 2019, 11:45 pm

khimbar wrote:[b]I have searched, there are no active links to the card scans. And the pdfs don't let you copy the images out. Unless you know something I don't and don't want to share.

Are you trying to provoke me into sharing these? :mrgreen:

They are close to the originals, but they are not the originals. Notably, you will find roughly 9 spells per group. :D
It's EU style card fronts,
Poker format (2.5 x 3.5 inch)
300 dpi,
with extra large border so that the professional printer can cut 3 mm all around

I don't have card backs in Poker format, sorry. This is because I do generate those cards dynamically on from a google sheetwith freely choosable format. This is less easy for the card backs.

Monsters are a different story entirely, I do have them in poker format only, and it is eu-style-ish. I made a slight adaptation for readability only.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby khimbar » July 29th, 2019, 4:11 am

Thank you! I'll have a look. :))
khimbar

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:

Next

Return to Cards