• Advertisement

MoJones304's Treasure Deck

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

MoJones304's Treasure Deck

Postby MoJones304 » Friday October 20th, 2017 11:04pm

Here are the variety of cards that are in my Treasure Deck.
1929192819271926192219231924192519211920191919181914191519161917191319121911191019091908
MoJones304

Goblin
Goblin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: MoJones304's Treasure Deck

Postby Pancho » Tuesday October 24th, 2017 10:10am

There are some really great ideas here, thanks for sharing.

For a while now I've been thinking about adding another 5 treasure cards to my deck for some of the later advanced quest packs, in the same way that The Wizards of Morcar added 5 cards for that expansion. I'm going to stick at just 5 cards as I don't want to go crazy and unbalance things, but I want these cards to be really interesting and unique.

I am going to take your the Potion of Tainted Healing and Wandering Monster Alarm (I love both of these concepts), as well as GimmeyerGold's brilliant Dazzling Gem Stone (which is worth a lot of money but can cause heroes that fail a mind based roll to just stand around staring at it!!!!) and one of the Hazard cards that causes the loss of a mind point.
For the 5th card I might go with the Travelling Merchant.

Thanks again.
Pancho

Zombie
Zombie

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:

Postby MoJones304 » Friday October 27th, 2017 5:29pm

Thanks for the feedback. In the original treasure deck there were 24 cards, 14 good and 10 bad. My new deck has a total of 45 cards, with 30 good and 15 bad. The probability of good cards have gone up to help encourage searching for treasure, but the less often drawn bad cards have higher possible consequences. You can see in my Rulebook that in order to search for treasure you have to roll one combat dice. If a black shield is rolled you stumble onto the nearest trap in your room or corridor. My players are now really nervous about searching for treasure when their health is low, but they can't help themselves because of the payoff. Fun to watch them squirm.
MoJones304

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Pancho » Saturday October 28th, 2017 9:28am

Oops I just checked and I have 8 new treasure cards in my Wizards of Morcar expansion, not 5 (there are two copies of 'magical trap' so that makes 7 unique cards.

In that case I might make up to 8 new cards to add into the later quest packs.

I'm not sure how I feel about making heroes test for traps before they take a treasure card. Doesn't it slow the game down as players take too long to decide? and in any case the threat of traps is already implicit in the treasure card deck itself.
Pancho

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:

Postby MoJones304 » Saturday October 28th, 2017 10:14pm

Sorry for the confusion. That was an error on my part. They only have to roll before checking for traps, not treasure. Otherwise, they will go around everywhere checking every little thing for traps before moving ahead. That does two things: slows the game down and essentially eliminates the possibility of them stumbling onto a trap. My players have learned to be extra careful before doing anything. Adding a possible hazard to the act of searching for traps has tempted them to move forward at times without searching for traps. It's been a successful addition.
MoJones304

Goblin
Goblin

Hero:

Postby Pancho » Sunday October 29th, 2017 4:37am

Ah I understand now.
You've basically made traps more of a feature in your dungeons, and your quests that little bit more difficult.
Sounds vicious!
Pancho

Zombie
Zombie

Hero:

Return to Cards