• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

2 New Elf spells

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

2 New Elf spells

Postby mo123813 » June 21st, 2010, 12:29 am

Hello all. I personally think that the spells for the elf quest were rushed. They are okay once you get the hang of them, and can be fun to use, EXCEPT twist wood. So, I decided to make two new spells to replace that horrid so called "spell".

Roar of the bear spirit- The caster roars a powerful strength that knocks everything in it's line of sight to the nearest wall. Discard after use. (Yes, monsters+ heroes might just pile on eachother.)

Nature's acrimony- The spell caster summons forth enraged tree roots from the strongest elf trees. The closest creature must deffend against 2 attack dice. The spell is then discarded.

What do ya think? Can anyone possibly get to make these look like real HQ cards?
Check out my new character: Halfling! I promise you will consider using it!
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=405
Remember, if you run out of dice,
3/4/5 = skulls
1/2 = white shields
6 = black shields
mo123813

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: 2 New Elf spells

Postby drathe » June 21st, 2010, 1:03 am

I believe Twist Wood to be a fine spell. In fact, I've been known to use it as a Chaos Spell against the Heroes from time to time. :twisted:

Questions & Suggestions:
  1. Does Roar of the Bear Spirit do anything other than push Heroes and Monsters away from the caster toward the walls? Such as causing them to miss their next turns, perhaps.
  2. I would make Nature's Acrimony have an attack of 3 Combat Dice, or else add the chance to tangle the Monster if a Black Shield appears on the attack roll, causing the Monster to miss its next turn. I can't see an Elf choosing this as it is. An Elf can always fire a Crossbow for 3 Combat Dice at a ranged target and attack for 3, or 4 Combat Dice in adjacent attacks by the time they would obtain the Elf Spells. Just my two cents.

I can easily make these into cards, provided I had a decent image for them. Even if it's just a pencil drawing. As long as it's good (in the same art style), I can make it appear pretty close to an authentic card.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby mo123813 » June 21st, 2010, 11:01 am

Elves aren't very offensive at all, so I thought roar of the bear spirit shouldn't give the enemy any damage. I'd like to keep it that way.
I do like the idea of them getting tangled for one turn if the elf rolls a black skull! Here are some pictures:
For Nature's Acrimony, please, can you cut the picture out from the actual magic the gathering card? Since the pic by it self is too big. Here is a google image link:
http://www.google.com/images?q=vines+of ... =0&ndsp=20
Roar of the bear spirit: http://www.google.com/images?q=magic%20 ... a=N&tab=fi

Please, cut the picture out of that one as well! (The bear spirit pictures)
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=405
3/4/5 = skulls
1/2 = white shields
6 = black shields
mo123813

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

Postby drathe » June 21st, 2010, 2:28 pm

Full colour images are difficult to convert (Ink/pencil drawings are much easiest). Especially those found on the Internet (as most are 72dpi and solely for screen display). But here are the results:

Image Image

Nature's Acrimony turned out much better as there was a good image of just the picture. Once you've finalised the wording, I'll add that in and link to the full card (shown above are just thumbnails in 72dpi. Full cards will be 300dpi).

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby mo123813 » June 21st, 2010, 2:55 pm

Thanks! I actually really like them both. Okay, Here are my finalized words:

Roar of the bear spirit- The caster roars a powerful strength that knocks everything in it's line of sight to the nearest wall. The affected monsters may only move a maximum of 5 squares on until their next turn due to the pain the roar has caused them.

Nature's Acrimony- The spell caster summons forth enraged tree roots from the strongest elf trees. The closest creature must deffend against 3 attack dice. Also, if a black skull was rolled, the selected creature is tangled into the roots and may not move for 1 turn. The spell is then discarded.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=405
3/4/5 = skulls
1/2 = white shields
6 = black shields
mo123813

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

Postby mo123813 » June 21st, 2010, 6:10 pm

Oh, as a side note, I know I said it already but thanks a whole bunch for taking time out of your life to help me with this. :D
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=405
3/4/5 = skulls
1/2 = white shields
6 = black shields
mo123813

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

Postby drathe » June 21st, 2010, 6:16 pm

A bit of rewording for grammar and HQ consistency, but pretty much the same thing.

You're welcome.

mo123813-elfspell-roar-of-the-bear-spirit.jpg

mo123813-elfspell-natures-acrimony.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mo123813 » June 21st, 2010, 6:30 pm

drathe wrote:A bit of rewording for grammar and HQ consistency, but pretty much the same thing.

You're welcome.

Thanks for the HQ consistency! It makes it even better! It really is awesome....thanks....
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=405
3/4/5 = skulls
1/2 = white shields
6 = black shields
mo123813

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:

Postby Ethica » June 23rd, 2010, 4:25 pm

drathe - I was wondering what functions you used to convert the natures acrimony picture from full colour to nicely clear monochrome?

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby drathe » June 23rd, 2010, 8:04 pm

Ethica wrote:drathe - I was wondering what functions you used to convert the natures acrimony picture from full colour to nicely clear monochrome?

I use a vector tracing program, then import the result in Photoshop to convert the colours. I'll post a basic tutorial on it a little later. If it's been a few days, remind me again. ;)

Rewards:
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Cards