• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Evil Wizard Deck

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Evil Wizard Deck

Postby Stig » April 12th, 2017, 4:08 pm

Here's my Evil Wizard Deck, 168 cards in all. I've taken on board awesomeness here and added a lot of stuff too. It's standard HQ size. I've gone for fun and quantity (and therefore variety) over being really tight ruleswise - leaving more in the hands of the EWP.

I use a 10 minute sand-timer. The EWP starts with 0 cards, and gets one every 10 minutes. It REALLY adds to the tension! The EWP can play the cards whenever they choose. The heroes are really under time pressure then, and replicates the fear of loitering too long inside a dungeon.

Here's my dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m4fkz1rb32o3 ... 2wKaa?dl=0

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Evil Wizard Deck

Postby mitchiemasha » April 12th, 2017, 4:29 pm

I use a timer mechanic but with tokens... looking forward to reading through your deck.

The only problem with the EW getting a card every ten minutes is... Stalling Evil Wizard. Deliberately taking longer to reveal rooms or roll the dice. When i wrote my mods, if I was always the EW, there would be no problem, I wouldn't do this. The only other long time HQ player in our group, the manager of the bar, when he plays as the EW, he is ruthless and tries every nasty trick, to cheat and twist, anything to win. He has to kill every one in 1 Quest, every Quest, which is one way to destroy a gaming group.

Rotation mechanic...
At the start of the EW phase, if no monsters where in play that round, pick a token.

This fixes issues of Heroes wasting rounds for high rolls if there are no threats on the board.

The timer mechanic...
30s plus 30s/Hero in play. Increase/decrease accordingly. Pause the timer when revealing a room.

I toyed with using an egg timer, with ideas of flipping it during the EW turn and when reveals a room, this would add more time to the Heroes, the longer the EW took, with the max being the full timer but it was too complicated to write up. And, we never bought one. It will be that way eventually.

Here is the link. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqo ... FhLaG9hS1U with the full description on how to pick a token (card). The Chaos Token Section.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » April 12th, 2017, 5:41 pm

I love this deck! I even see a number that are oddly very similar to many of my own that I posted here on the Inn!
YAY!!!
You have done a much better job. Your cards look sharp.

EWP Cards make the game so much more fun! For the EWP muhahaha
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Jafazo » April 12th, 2017, 8:56 pm

Very nice cards my friend.
Unless you specify your version I'm going by the US rules.
Jafazo

Ogre Champion
Ogre Champion

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » April 20th, 2017, 5:06 pm

Wow, that's a whole lot of Chaos for M/Z! It needn't affect gameplay, but the Spider Swarm card erroneously mentions a swarm of rats appears in the nearest room.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Stig » July 13th, 2017, 8:05 am

cynthialee wrote:I love this deck! I even see a number that are oddly very similar to many of my own that I posted here on the Inn!
YAY!!!
You have done a much better job. Your cards look sharp.

EWP Cards make the game so much more fun! For the EWP muhahaha

Thanks buddy! Your cards are amazing, and yes I did take inspiration from them, I was trying to emulate how fun they are. Cheers to the EWP deck! |_P

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » July 13th, 2017, 8:06 am

Daedalus wrote:Wow, that's a whole lot of Chaos for M/Z! It needn't affect gameplay, but the Spider Swarm card erroneously mentions a swarm of rats appears in the nearest room.

Thanks for pointing that out - if you see anything else that needs correcting please say

Rewards:
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Figomurphy » July 13th, 2017, 8:59 am

These look like great fun. Great job.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges.
Figomurphy

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Stig » May 13th, 2018, 4:29 am

mitchiemasha wrote:The only problem with the EW getting a card every ten minutes is... Stalling Evil Wizard. Deliberately taking longer to reveal rooms or roll the dice. When i wrote my mods, if I was always the EW, there would be no problem, I wouldn't do this. The only other long time HQ player in our group, the manager of the bar, when he plays as the EW, he is ruthless and tries every nasty trick, to cheat and twist, anything to win. He has to kill every one in 1 Quest, every Quest, which is one way to destroy a gaming group.

Well that player doesn't understand the role of a GM. They should go play chess. Maybe they should read this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamemaster

Which includes the quote:

"A good gamemaster draws the players into the adventure, making it enjoyable for everyone."

I hope your gaming group survived and that players returned. It's impossible to design games and mods like this, which add flavour to the game, without requiring sensibility on the part of the the EW player.

Rewards:
Stig

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » May 13th, 2018, 6:37 am

It works but reduces play options greatly. As long as the EWP is me, I would use such a mechanic without problems. :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Cards