• Advertisement

DungeonsDark Artifacts

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

DungeonsDark Artifacts

Postby whitebeard » Monday November 21st, 2016 9:01pm

These artifacts compliment the quest pack located here: http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3223&p=75821#p62353

Here they are so far.
Artifacts.pdf

The PDF is for printing and is >3 Mb so I exported some low res versions for this thread. It goes without saying that NONE of the source art here is my property.

BracerOfFlame.jpg

DreamCatcher.jpg

GenieLamp.jpg

HolySymbol.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by whitebeard on Thursday November 24th, 2016 12:46am, edited 2 times in total.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Ogre
Ogre

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Collection of New Artifacts

Postby whitebeard » Monday November 21st, 2016 9:04pm

Phial.jpg

StoneIdol.jpg

TomeOfEfficiency.jpg

VigorStone.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
whitebeard

Ogre
Ogre

Usergroups:

Postby whitebeard » Monday November 21st, 2016 9:06pm

Dagger.jpg

Toolkit.jpg

Rewards:
whitebeard

Ogre
Ogre

Usergroups:

Postby whitebeard » Monday November 21st, 2016 9:08pm

Amulet1.jpg

Amulet2.jpg

Amulet_EWP.jpg

Rewards:
whitebeard

Ogre
Ogre

Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » Tuesday November 22nd, 2016 11:58pm

I like them, especially the last item that is there for your special quest.

The dream catcher seems to be a bit strong, but ok, needs to be tested before a final conclusion can be drawn. I added the same capability to my wizard, but practically useable is it only if he spends many of his mind points or if he has 8 or 9 base mind points - so you could say, the wizard would use it only after he found the amulet of lore.
Which is, more or less, the same like yours: Use it after you found an item. :)

This restriction led to the non-test until now, here. :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » Wednesday November 23rd, 2016 10:52am

Anderas wrote:The dream catcher seems to be a bit strong, but ok, needs to be tested before a final conclusion can be drawn.

I understand the concern. Sleep seems like such a powerful spell but honestly my group (and I when I've played) have never seen a successful application of the sleep spell!!! It does not help that the elf usually picks the water spells, but more recently the wizard plays with all of the spells.

It is almost a guarantee insta-kill for 1 goblin, Whoo-hoo!
70% of the time it kills one Orc.
58% of the time you can kill a Fimir or Chaos Warrior. But they always seem to make the save.

I really want to see it used when the wizard stumbles into a room full of monsters. Surrounded by 3 goblins? No problem! If this is really the case, then the wizard does not actually kill anyone, he just delays being attacked (maybe) by a single monster.

Perhaps the Dream Catcher should apply to line of sight only? Although some depth in a corridor would be preferred.

I certainly don't want to break the "boss room" with this, maybe other heroes should have to save also if they are inside the area of effect? Perhaps it can apply to some maximum total of monster mind points and must begin with the closest monsters?

The Dream Catcher is a more or less permanent upgrade to the Sleep spell. And I prefer it tis way. Better to have a limmited benefit all the time than a one time "quest breaking" effect.

Other suggestions or preferences?

Rewards:
whitebeard

Ogre
Ogre

Usergroups:

Postby Anderas » Wednesday November 23rd, 2016 12:07pm

No no, i don't think it breaks boss rooms at all.

Sleep rolls against mind points, so you take care that your bosses have 3 or 4 or even more mind points. Problem solved.

It just looks strong, but as said, i still wait for a successful test. :D

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby whitebeard » Wednesday November 23rd, 2016 7:33pm

Anderas wrote:No no, i don't think it breaks boss rooms at all.

Sleep rolls against mind points, so you take care that your bosses have 3 or 4 or even more mind points. Problem solved.

It just looks strong, but as said, i still wait for a successful test. :D

I love the feedback! It really got me thinking about what I really want the improved sleep spell to be about. I want a host of weak minded (and generally weak attacking) monsters to succumb. Rightly turning the wizard into an asset unlike any other hero in these situations.

Given that statement, the following may be better aligned with my intent?
No same room restriction (this is not in the original sleep spell) and instead use distance from target until 9 mind points worth of monsters is exceeded? This will make you avoid a "boss" as well and use it earlier in the dungeon, e.g. immediately when the application is obvious.

here it is (pardon the LaTeX mark-up):
\NewArtifact{Dream Catcher}{DreamCatcher}{This small ornate hoop enhances the bearer's ability to cast the \emph{Sleep} spell. When cast, the \emph{Sleep} spell effects the target and the nearest monsters up to a total of 9 mind points. Alternatively the Dream Catcher may be used to reduce a target's mind points by one while defending the spell.}

I also removed the minimum 1 mind point text and with this change, the single goblin (or giant wolf) will also sleep "forever" (until the heroes have left the dungeon). This would be a waste of the spell (so it is fine with me) and makes the card read better,

Rewards:
whitebeard

Ogre
Ogre

Usergroups:

Re: DungeonsDark Artifacts

Postby Daedalus » Tuesday April 18th, 2017 6:18pm

I've got some more feedback for ya:

Bracer of Flame: It's a niggle, but magic user sounds too D&D. Why not go with HQ's Spellcaster? I'd modify "...shoot small fireballs with the ranged attack strength..." > ...shoot small fireballs at a visible monster with the ranged attack strength... . I'd also add the armband may not be used with other bracers, chain mail, or plate mail.

Dream catcher: I prefer the original text with a different tweak: "...The Sleep spell may be used on all targets in the room or corridor as the caster, or on a single target where the target's mind points are counted as one fewer (but not less than 1) for the purposes of defending the spell." > ...When cast, Sleep may affect every visible figure in the same room or corridor as the caster, but check only until the spell is broken. Alternatively, a single target must defend against Sleep with one fewer die.

Visible could be left out, but I like the basic limitation in there as an additional nerf. Using figure instead of target allows for the possibility of affecting Heroes and Mercenaries as well.

Genie Lamp: Like.

Holy Symbol: Sounds D&D-ish. How about Sacred Pendant? If you wished, the power could be nerfed by modifying "...All undead in the effected area..." > ...All visible undead in the affected area...

Phial of Healing: I don't feel the phial should work if the spell is cast from another area or even a different Spellcaster. I'd modify: "...This phial allows the capture of an additional one body point healing potion each time the Water of Healing spell is cast. Once filled, the phial may be distributed to and carried by any hero..." > This phial allows you to additionally create a 1 Body Point healing potion each time you cast Water of Healing. The phial may be given to any Hero...

Stone Idol: I like that picture! The power works as a nice buff. Here's some clarified text that excludes Mind Point damage: "...an additional defend die is granted which is lost when a second attack (or event) results in damage to the target." > ...an additional Defend Die is granted until the target suffers 1 Body Point of damage a second time.

Tome of Efficiency: I like it for this reason.

Vigor Stone: I like the limit.

Dagger of Return: I feel like this is two separate artifacts, but it seems to work best that way. Maybe (or not) rename it Dagger of Surprise to account for the bonus attack.

Enchanted Toolkit: I like this limited artifact.

Amulet of Foresight: A multi-stage artifact with an ultimate cost is a great idea! Your card set with the secret M/Z card should make for a fun surprise.

I wanted to monkey around with your idea, and ended up with my own version of the artifact. As a Hero may be permanently lost, I felt the danger should be telegraphed more as a linear threat. That's why I went with a further Mind Point scale. I also wanted to standardize things a bit by putting all the cards in the Hero-player's hands.

Amulet of Foresight

This mysterious amulet speaks to the wearer
in his dreams, granting limited foresight. You
detect all visible traps and always succeed
when jumping them. Between Quests, roll one
red die for each of your Mind Points. If you
roll a 6, reduce your Mind Points by one. You
may only restore your score by not rolling a 6
and discarding this artifact. Should your
score be reduced to 0, you are lost to Chaos.
May not be used with amulets or talismans.
.Amulet of Foresight

The amulet grants additional foresight and
hints at further secrets. After your Mind
Point score is first reduced between Quests,
you gain the power to ignore any Hazard or
Wandering Monster Treasure Cards. This is
in addition to the previous power, conditions,
and restrictions of the amulet.

Amulet of Foresight

The amulet unlocks enhanced foresight with
visions of violence. For each time the amulet
has reduced your Mind Points between
Quests, you gain the power to reroll any of
your Defend Dice once in a Quest. This is in
addition to the previous powers, conditions,
and restrictions of the amulet.

UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: DungeonsDark Artifacts

Postby whitebeard » Thursday April 20th, 2017 9:36pm

Daedalus wrote:I've got some more feedback for ya:

Yeah, you sure do, this is fantastic. Thank you.

On a side note, we pretty much finished the DungeonsDark quest pack before I wrote-up the wizard artifacts. So we now roll dice to randomly assign artifacts to the wizard at the start of the quest. That and we bounce around from my stuff back to Kellar's Keep (which makes no sense) but gives it a cool Conan / Pulp Fiction era feel with "today we find our heroes..." The Wizard is pretty cool to play now and he does have the spell book permanently. We lay out the 6 spell obvious ones, and roll to see which he has, then add the vigor stone and roll again.

Looking at these again after so long, I see where some more things could be better. I'm not a fan of the "Device OF Anything" naming convention. I think it makes magic a commodity instead of rare and wonderful. And to use your words Device of Anything also "sounds too D&D" so we should try not to over use it. "Ring of Return" is HQ so I'm going to leave the dagger as "Dagger of Return" until I hear something definitely better. This is quite popular item in my quests (generated randomly as a "rare weapon". It does break, but one of the heroes is usually carrying it. So giving it a unique name seems silly. "Hey, I found another one of Borin's Daggers!" is not something I ever want to hear at the game table.

I will attempt to re-factor each item in the next posts.

Rewards:
whitebeard

Ogre
Ogre

Usergroups:

Next

Return to Cards