• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

My First Card Sets - WH4thEd Spells For All 8 Colleges + Ice

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Re: My First Card Sets - Bright, Amethyst & Celestial spells

Postby mitchiemasha » February 4th, 2016, 2:32 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:Why?
Have you tried printing that card? If it won't fit on the card 'nicely' one simply can't use cards. Even if it did fit, cards are for quick reference, no one wants to read an essay on one during play. If the mechanic takes up too much space it's too complicated, needs to be simplified.

I tried to centrally align each paragraph rather than align the paragraphs with each other. I don't think they're that far out.
if it's not pretty much exact, it's off. What you just said may be your problem, you have them left aligned not central aligned, mixing the 2 is why they look off. What package are you using? I can help you with some alignment tricks.

mitchiemasha wrote:what is 1D3?
That's something I'm going to put with the master rules to save space on the cards. I think the vast, VAST majority of people who will read it will understand what the term means.[/quote]

I searched it and it seems to be a rare kind of die, do you mean 1d4.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby mitchiemasha » February 4th, 2016, 2:48 pm

Gold Bearer wrote:I'm getting fast at this. :)

You might be getting fast but you need to stop rushing and start working toward perfecting them. Some really good ideas, just a few things holding them back.

I just rechecked that wordy card and there's noway that will print. The others are too wordy to, I even got a second opinion and they said they simply wouldn't read them, it would be off putting.

Another comment they made was the text is too close to the bottom of the image.

The text needs to also do
this. As an example, I'm just
going to write a few random
words so you can see exactly
what I mean.

Magical Weapon!

It's all in the representation.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: My 1st Card Sets - Bright, Amethyst, Celestial & Jade sp

Postby mitchiemasha » February 4th, 2016, 3:07 pm

The Emerald Pool

Picture

Cast to Teleport yourself
instantly upto 4d6 from
your current location or
water source

Power 1

Word them from the caster perspective, much better. Suppose repeating the 4d6 would be clearer here, it can be argued either way.

What package are you using? I'm really interested in bringing in the other WH spells into HQ.

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » February 4th, 2016, 6:43 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:Have you tried printing that card? If it won't fit on the card 'nicely' one simply can't use cards. Even if it did fit, cards are for quick reference, no one wants to read an essay on one during play. If the mechanic takes up too much space it's too complicated, needs to be simplified.
Then they wouldn't be the WH spells and it would defeat the whole purpose of doing it. I'm not making spells from scratch, I'm translating existing spells into HQ in a way that's hopefully faithful to the source and balanced. Sometimes I've had to tone stuff down a bit (Earth Blood) but I'm not going outright remove any spell effect. This means that some of the spells are a bit wordy but it's only the odd few, the vast majority are really simple with hardly any text. Look at the official cloak of shadows spell from WoM, that's wordy as well, it's not a problem. If they fit on the cards on the screen then they fit when they're printed. :)

mitchiemasha wrote:if it's not pretty much exact, it's off. What you just said may be your problem, you have them left aligned not central aligned, mixing the 2 is why they look off. What package are you using? I can help you with some alignment tricks.
I'm just using standard microsoft paint and aligning them by hand. It's impossible to do because the text reaches different lengths before starting a new line. You can't possible get it aligned unless you do each line individually. Even if that wouldn't be a total pain in the arse, it would look weird.

mitchiemasha wrote:
Gold Bearer wrote:
mitchiemasha wrote:what is 1D3?
That's something I'm going to put with the master rules to save space on the cards. I think the vast, VAST majority of people who will read it will understand what the term means.
I searched it and it seems to be a rare kind of die, do you mean 1d4.
Oh you were actually asking, sorry. No I don't use anything other than the standard dice. D3 means rolling a D6 and halving it rounding up, 1/2 = 1, 3/4 = 2, 5/6 = 3. I'm going to put that along with a couple of other things with the main rules for using these spells.

mitchiemasha wrote:You might be getting fast but you need to stop rushing and start working toward perfecting them. Some really good ideas, just a few things holding them back.
I'm going to tidy up the whole lot when I've done all eight colleges and join them into one download.

mitchiemasha wrote:I just rechecked that wordy card and there's noway that will print.
Huh? :? It will simply refuse? NO, sharn't!

mitchiemasha wrote:The others are too wordy to, I even got a second opinion and they said they simply wouldn't read them, it would be off putting.
You're talking about the odd few spells. If all, or even most were that long I would understand it but two or three cards out of a set of ten? That's just plain lazy!

mitchiemasha wrote:Another comment they made was the text is too close to the bottom of the image.
Too close for what? Do they have tunnel vision? Tell them to slide the card up the table slightly and they'll be fine.

mitchiemasha wrote:
The text needs to also do
this. As an example, I'm just
going to write a few random
words so you can see exactly
what I mean.

Magical Weapon!

It's all in the representation.
You deliberately picked the words so that all the lines reach very nearly the same point across the page before starting a new line. :) That's cheating! I'm not going to choose the wording based on lining up the text. I do think some of them could do with a rewording but it will only be to make them as clear and concise as possible.

mitchiemasha wrote:
The Emerald Pool

Picture

Cast to Teleport yourself
instantly upto 4d6 from
your current location or
water source

Power 1

Word them from the caster perspective, much better. Suppose repeating the 4d6 would be clearer here, it can be argued either way.
No I actually prefer your version. |_P

Sorry if it sounded like I don't appreciate the feedback. ;) I just don't agree with all of it, but I would like to make them look as nice as possible as long as it's not at the expensive of diluting the spells. |_P
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby mitchiemasha » February 4th, 2016, 9:05 pm

Then they wouldn't be the WH spells and it would defeat the whole purpose of doing it.

This is exactly why I'm really interested in the project. I'm not familiar with Warhammer lore much so you're basically doing all the hard work for my set, lol! I've currently been trying to bring Deamon Hunters, Grey knights psychic abilities into Space Hulk so a friend can use his squad. He plays 40k, I don't so it's great to bring the ideas across for the fans. They love seeing something similar.

I'm just using standard microsoft paint and aligning them by hand

You're in for a hard time with paint. Have you looked to see if their are any free photoshop type clones.

Huh? :? It will simply refuse? NO, sharn't!

lol... it'll print ok but it won't be readable. I scaled it down to print size and even on my huge screen it was unreadable (I'm talking 50" front room TV here, it's where I sit doing my work, not at a desk). On paper the text will be too small, especially with a fancy font. Another thing I haven't mentioned yet is how close the text is to the edge of the card. An important issue when it comes to the sexiness of its look, (yes I did just refer to a card in such away).

Too close for what? Do they have tunnel vision?

It's a layout presentation thing, the card would physically look better if the first line of text had more space between it and the bottom of the picture. It's all to do with that Michaelangelo stuff I mentioned earlier.

You deliberately picked the words so that all the lines reach very nearly the same

What I'm showing you there is center alignment, ignore the point I pressed return for the next line. It could of been anywhere, I could of used anywords. I was just lucky that the words were almost the same width for each line.

Sorry if it sounded like I don't appreciate the feedback. ;) I just don't agree with all of it.

I don't mind, I like talking about it. I'm far from right on many things. I don't want to see these cards end up half finished, I want a set for myself. like I said earlier, I love bringing in other elements from different games in the same setting. I'd need to do this for my Spiced Up at some point anyway. Your spell combining from ages ago is in there, 1 big table, A4, with a few changes.

Are these spells originally Warhammer Quest or full table top Warhammer?

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » February 4th, 2016, 9:25 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:You're in for a hard time with paint. Have you looked to see if their are any free photoshop type clones.
No, not yet. I might do that after I've done the last college for the final version.

mitchiemasha wrote:I scaled it down to print size and even on my huge screen it was unreadable (I'm talking 50" front room TV here, it's where I sit doing my work, not at a desk). On paper the text will be too small, especially with a fancy font. Another thing I haven't mentioned yet is how close the text is to the edge of the card. An important issue when it comes to the sexiness of its look, (yes I did just refer to a card in such away).
I looked at them to scale as I was doing them and I thought the smallest text size I used was okay, just. I wouldn't go any smaller though.

mitchiemasha wrote:It's a layout presentation thing, the card would physically look better if the first line of text had more space between it and the bottom of the picture. It's all to do with that Michaelangelo stuff I mentioned earlier.
I'll probably send you a link to a neatened up version when they're done to get your feedback before uploading a final version. I do want them sexy. Sexy is a generic term, lots of things are sexy. ;)

mitchiemasha wrote:What I'm showing you there is center alignment, ignore the point I pressed return for the next line. It could of been anywhere, I could of used anywords. I was just lucky that the words were almost the same width for each line.
I think I'll have to go through them all after I'm happy with the wording to figure out the best place to start new lines for each card. :roll:

mitchiemasha wrote:Your spell combining from ages ago is in there, 1 big table, A4, with a few changes.
I'd like to see what changes you made. Toning down the effectiveness I presume? Interesting (well, not really) story about that. I was looking through my soon to be first ever post on this site when I came up with the idea. Everything else was from years ago. The first idea I had after years of not thinking about and I doubt I'll ever come up with a better house rule.

mitchiemasha wrote:Are these spells originally Warhammer Quest or full table top Warhammer?
Full table top. That's why I was surprised they translate over so well. I've never played WHQ but I don't think it had college spells. AHQ had half of them in the end, totally different to the ones I'm using.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » February 4th, 2016, 9:40 pm

I think I'll have to go through them all after I'm happy with the wording to figure out the best place to start new lines for each card.

It's a lot simpler than that... Actually I just loaded up paint to check and it has no center align option for it's text boxes. Word itself does and most other things.

When you create a word box and have it set center align, it will automatically space the words out for you depending on the size of your text box.

AHQ had half of them in the end, totally different to the ones I'm using.

Does this mean similar name but different effect?

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » February 4th, 2016, 9:48 pm

mitchiemasha wrote:When you create a word box and have it set center align, it will automatically space the words out for you depending on the size of your text box.
You mean write them out in word, screenshot, paste? I might try that but I've got attached to the lettering style in paint.

mitchiemasha wrote:
AHQ had half of them in the end, totally different to the ones I'm using.
Does this mean similar name but different effect?
I've only seen the bright ones because they were part of the standard AHQ and they were entirely different. I think there were twelve and the only one that even had the same name was fireball (the only one I've renamed slightly so far) but I think it had a completely different mechanic. Long time ago though, there must have been similar spells. The only one I can sort of remember at the moment is some sort of key. I can't remember what it did but it was nothing like any of the WH ones.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » February 4th, 2016, 10:29 pm

Here's the spell combining table. Where I left off. It's heavily abbreviated and work still needed.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzUqoU ... sp=sharing

It does have 'originally by Gold Bearer' as it's buried in my word document filled with many ideas and mods for HQ. I've extracted the page as the full doc is in no state to be shared, lol!

Rewards:
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » February 5th, 2016, 8:34 pm

Grey spells, by far the simplest college spell set.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/58fk7 ... _Magic.zip

I had a look at the combined spell changes, I like some of them but I'm not sure if I like them more. Two of them are exactly the same but there's a * by one so you probably know that. I'll comment properly when I've seen the finished version.

Rewards:
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:

PreviousNext

Return to Cards