• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Wand of Magic: extra option

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Wand of Magic: extra option

Postby Sotiris » January 20th, 2016, 5:12 am

Image Image
My new unpublished boardgame on Tabletopia free platform:
https://tabletopia.com/games/stellar_omega

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Wand of Magic: extra option

Postby Anderas » January 20th, 2016, 7:29 am

thumbs up for the idea - the only minus is that this chart has to be somewhere on the (already quite full) table.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Count Mohawk » January 20th, 2016, 8:55 am

I wonder if the 'secondary effects' of the Wand of Magic would work better listed as bonuses at the bottom of each affected Spell card? Then you wouldn't need an extra card to be printed to show the Spell Chart.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby slev » January 20th, 2016, 9:23 am

Treasure Hode + Search for Treasure means the Wizard is drawing four cards. Perhaps allowing a search for Treasure instead?

Alternatively, I changed the item (or teh UK equivilent) to give the wizard an extra cast each turn. Thus it has more uses than just casting twice.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
slev

Scout
Scout

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lucasdp » January 20th, 2016, 1:26 pm

I like this idea and I know my Wizard would flip about it! |_P
But I agree with Anderas. Especially since my Wizard will usually spread all his spells in front of him across the table ... There's not much real estate left after that.
Count Mohawk's idea is good, but I'm not too keen on reprinting all my spell cards.
I may just slide this into my house rules document for the time being...
Great idea, Sotiris! |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby lucasdp » January 20th, 2016, 2:41 pm

Ah, wait a minute. Just had a follow-up thought on this. Since movement does not usually count as an action, I think this might limit the Wand of Magic rather than help it. If you moved and cast a spell with the wand, you would only get to use the one spell, the way it is written now...

I guess there's this scenario:
Wizard begins moving, turns a corner and sees a monster. Casts Veil of Mist, then continues movement, passing by the monster.

Ok, that's pretty good. But I have trouble visualizing a scenario in which the Wizard would need to cast Swift Wind of Pass Through Rock in the middle of moving. I would think a hero would know before they moved if they wanted to go extra spaces or to move through walls. In that case, a hero could use the Wand of Magic as intended, casting the appropriate spell and an extra one, and then moving.

I still really like this idea |_P but I will have to mull it over to consider how it will work with my players' style and my current house rules. If you've had a chance to playtest it, Sotiris, I'd love to hear how it went.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie!
lucasdp

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » January 21st, 2016, 4:23 am

lucasdp wrote:If you've had a chance to playtest it, Sotiris, I'd love to hear how it went.

My group haven't found it yet. But i'll introduce this card+chart when they'll find it.

You may cast those spells while moving (it solves many line-of-sight issues & keeps you safe when casting to another hero).
Or when you need to cast a spell and get its effect immediately (courage: discard and attack with +dice).
Or when you want to fight and then cover/protect yourself (attack and then discard Invisibility to disappear or Swift Wind to move away from danger).
Or when you feel lucky right now discard Treasure Hoard and draw 3 cards! :lol:

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby mitchiemasha » January 21st, 2016, 6:11 am

I did comment here but it's gone... Must of not clicked post, whilst in and out.

Anyways. I like the wand but would avoid the word HE in the writing, although it is standard HQ.

I'd simply have it as a cast 2 spells or cast 1 spell inbetween movement, losing the extra card. It's MAM for the Wizard or should I say MSM/MCM/MMM (which ever, lol). An essential feature for a weapon upgrading the Wizzard.

Edit: Cast a spell for no action! this leaves the action open to cast another spell or attack.

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 5th, 2016, 12:46 pm

Anderas wrote:thumbs up for the idea - the only minus is that this chart has to be somewhere on the (already quite full) table.

lucasdp wrote:I like this idea and I know my Wizard would flip about it! |_P
But I agree with Anderas. Especially since my Wizard will usually spread all his spells in front of him across the table ... There's not much real estate left after that.
Count Mohawk's idea is good, but I'm not too keen on reprinting all my spell cards.
I may just slide this into my house rules document for the time being...
Great idea, Sotiris! |_P

An alternative card that condenses the two:

yourcon A
Wand of Magic
yourcon
YC CONTENT-5
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
Y
YC
YC y
This magical wand allows the Elf or Wizard to do one of the following:
Cast two separate and different spells on his turn instead of one single spell,
OR
cast Swift Wind, Pass Through Rock, Veil of Mist, Cloak of Shadows, or Invisibility while moving, cast Courage while attacking, or cast Treasure Hoard while searching for treasure.y
Y
Y
Y
YC

I hope I got the intent correct.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Sotiris » September 5th, 2016, 1:01 pm

Daedalus wrote:I hope I got the intent correct.

Perfect! |_P

I'll upload the new card soon. And print it for my group :D .

Rewards:
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Cards