• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Showdown Homebrew: New Spell Colleges

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Re: Showdown Homebrew: New Spell Colleges

Postby Daedalus » September 1st, 2016, 5:17 pm

Showdown35 wrote:...I'm looking for some feedback on the new spells (which are by no means set in stone). I may have missed an exploitable loophole, or misjudged power level on some of them, so let me know what you think:...

I'm game. I can put good work through the ringer in my efforts to help out-- so take any criticisms with a grain of salt. Your cards are excellent!

Courage- I like how the wording handles the spell.

Detect Metal- This spell feels like a long shot to me. There are only 4 of 24 NA Treasure Cards containing gold coins-that's only a 1 in 3 chance of a pay-off with two pulls. If I understand your recasting rule correctly, 1-2 Mind Points are likely to be lost to gain some gold that would probably be gotten by risking another 3 pulls normally. I'd say allow three pulls to bring the average expected MP cost down to 1.

Sword Fling- How about Hurl Blade instead?

Hailstorm- Do you intend that this spell doesn't work in corridors? The Chaos spell Firestorm doesn't, but Chaos Sorcerers are always found in rooms. If you want to give Heroes more flexibility, you could change "...Attack all other Figures in the room with the Caster with 2 Skulls..." > Attack all other Figures in the same room or corridor as the Caster with 2 Skulls.

Teleport- It seems this spell could be used to put a monster in rock for an instant-kill. I'd change "...Target figure instantly teleports a number of spaces away no more than the total dice roll." > Target figure instantly teleports to an empty square a number of spaces away no more than the total dice roll.

Thunderstorm- Same issue as Hailstorm. You could change "All other Figures in the room with the Caster skip their next turn. No Figures can enter or see into the room until the Caster's next turn...." > All other Figures in the room or corridor with the Caster skip their next turn. No Figures can enter or see within until the Caster's next turn.... It's a tighter sqeeze by a letter or two on your margins. Maybe you just prefer a room for the spell anyway?

Lightning Bolt- Without the Lightning Bolt tile to determine who is affected from any direction, a complication is possible. Is the path a line, one-square wide, or in between? If a line, does it merely need to just touch a Figure's square, even if it is a corner point, as with a diagonally cast bolt passing between connected vertices? I'd say yes. If the path is wider, how do you determine where the edges lie? I' d change "...within a straight path..." > within a straight line...

Also, this may be beyond the scope of your spell or game, but would a Wall of Stone or Wall of Ice spell stop it? Again, I'd say yes.

Deflect Spell- Shouldn't the new target of the spell, the Caster, also be in sight to conform to standard LoS rules? Also, the wording didn't click with the first read-through. I'd change "Immediately after an Attack Spell is cast, if the Target is in sight, change the Target to that spell's Caster." > Immediately change the Target of an Attack Spell to the Caster of the Spell if both Figures are in sight.

Rust-I like the change from metal sword to metal weapon.

Summon Orcs- I'd change the flavor text "With a poof, Orcs appear to protect the Spellcaster." > From nowhere, Orcs appear to protect the Spellcaster. or With a thunderclap, Orcs appear to protect the Caster. or Out of shadow, Orcs appear to protect the Caster. or From the shadows, Orcs appear to protect the Caster.

I hope some of these help.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Previous

Return to Cards