• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

The game needs more armor options. or better yet: More gear

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Re: The game needs more armor options. or better yet: More g

Postby Gold Bearer » September 11th, 2015, 5:30 am

cynthialee wrote:Wow, this is what I am talking about! {Except I would take away the movement modifiers for the most part.}
Now we just need cards for all these options. :D
Well they're not different armours without the movement restrictions but you could do it a bit differently. -1 to movement, -2, -3, etc or you could cap the maximum movement allowed at 11, 10, 9, etc.

There shouldn't by too many cards because they'd rearly all be available at the same place. Dwarven and Elven stuff would normally just be in dwarven and elven places and even in normal towns I would have all the of the standard ones, just cloth, leather, chain, plate and the full suit. In cities I'd putt the rest in and in capital city type places that would have elven and dwarven districts I'd put the whole lot in, which would help with the feel that you're in a huge city.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Gold Bearer » September 11th, 2015, 10:53 am

Actually with the max movement version it needs to start higher. Chainmail shouldn’t restrict characters that move with two dice because it doesn’t as standard.

Splint: 6
Banded: 9
Chain/Padded: 12
Scale/Studded: 15
Ring/Leather/Cloth: Unlimited

I think that would work well.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:

Postby cynthialee » September 11th, 2015, 11:13 am

it doesn't matter if different armors have the same dice
Just having the basic types through history would be nice. Yes, ring mail and chain mail would have the same basic dice for defend, but they are at least not the same thing over again.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:

Re: The gameneeds more armor options.

Postby Daedalus » October 26th, 2015, 5:50 pm

Anderas wrote:I have a problem if these options mean the Hero maxes out with more than 5 or 6 standard dice, and if the rules are complicated.

For example i would love this kind of shield that has two horns on the top, so it is able to catch blades and disarm your enemy. Alternatively, you could start a feint with your sword and ram the horns into your enemy as long as he was looking at your feint. It was in use, documented so.
However, for these kinds of cool abilities, you'd need fights that last more than one round; a combat system that allows for some fine things like actions from before having effect on the turn after, and in the end it gets complicated and needs too much time. Nevertheless, if someone has ideas for such ideas and tactics, i would love it.

How about this: The shield user may opt to forgo the +1 Defend Die for the shield and instead roll it seperately when defending for a disarm attempt. If the proper defense shield is rolled, the attacking enemy is disarmed and must lose his next action recovering the lost weapon. The feint-attack could work with a similarly seperated Defend Die dedicated for attack.

This can be simplified to just say any superfluous successful Defend Dice are converted to either a disarm or hits against the attacker. This lacks the -1 DD risk penalty from above, however.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » November 2nd, 2015, 6:29 pm

cynthialee wrote:After printing off a bunch of weapon and armor cards and the counting the results I have come to the conclusion that there needs to be more armor options. So any ideas?

Mine:
Hardened Leather Armor
+1 Defend {Against Bludgeoning Weapons this Armor rolls 2 Dice.) Not combinable with Greaves, Bracers, Cloaks, but may be combined with Helmet and Shield.

I'm also partial to leather armor, as it allows an affordable +1DD upgrade early on. This seems like a popular armory addition. To work it in my game, Heroes start with a base 1 Defend Die instead of 2. For starting Heroes the Wizard has Wizard's garb for +1 DD, and maybe the Barbarian has tribal talismans for +1 DD. The Elf and Dwarf can start with leather. I'd like to make a pre Quest one day with no armor to exploit this. Capture scenarios would also make more sense to me if no armor meant just 1 Defend Die.

Another armor type I've worked on is piece armor. I included it mainly for the Barbarian, as I'm bothered by the idea of the northerner walking around in plate mail. Instead, I draw my inspiration from miniatures and art depicting Barbarians outfitted in gladiator-like armor. My current classification is light piece consisting of 1 component (+1DD), medium piece consisting of 3 components (+2DD), and heavy piece consisting of 6 components of armor (+3DD.) Armor components include a pair of greaves, thigh protection, belt armor, one or two armguards, and one or two shoulder pieces. The costs are 250, 675, and 1200. A Barbarian benefits from less movement penalty to slant the choice towards him.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Cards