• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Gaming Tiles/Chits - What would you like to see printed?

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Gaming Tiles/Chits - What would you like to see printed?

Postby sorcerersapprentice » June 26th, 2015, 1:13 am

Hi all. I'm a graphic designer and long-time HQ fan. I'm presently organizing a small venture that aims to publish decks of cards with doors, furniture, spell-tables, tables with food, desks, windows, traps, market stalls, shops, rooftops, taverns, terrains, sacks, barrels and virtually every other RPG item you could imagine - with intent to offer a customizable service to put your own maps, world features etc in the cards - but also offer thousands of different cards in packs that are themed (say, Pirate Ship, Market Bazaar) or mixed so you can get a broad range of cards/tiles to set up a city square or alchemists workshop for instance. Just to clarify, by tile I mean a printed piece of cardboard with an image of say a bookshelf or magical portal or desk, either isometric, or top-down that either lays flat or fits into a stand. Imagine being able to set up an entire city or marketplace in minutes. I'm just curious as to what sort of tiles you'd like to see that you don't have already? Thanks :) SA
Something Wicked This Way Comes...

http://gametilewarehouse.wix.com/rpgtilesupply
sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Gaming Tiles/Chits - What would you like to see printed?

Postby cynthialee » June 27th, 2015, 12:05 pm

You already have a number of my ideas....

So what size are these proposed cards?

I would like to see more than one of the following Bar, Bank, Store, Castle, Keep, Farm ect...

One of the issues I have with many of my tiles sets is the repetition in things.

Double sided tiles can be a good idea, until that moment you need both sides of the tile up for some reason or another.

More tiles ideas:
Trees and bushes, each tile looks different than the others...nothing like looking at a carbon copy forest. BLAH

Homes of various sizes and types.

Swamps.

Gear marker tiles. A set of small 1x1 tiles that have images of adventure gear. And each tile must look different than the other. A set of 6 or 8 should be perfect Why? I require a 'gear drop' for heroes entering combat, or they pay a combat dice penalty due to encumbrance. The gear marker is placed on an adjacent square. If a hero needs something from their gear they must be adjacent to the gear and spend an action to recover the item. When designing them keep in mind that each hero as a class will have different looking piles of stuff.

Dead man markers. Not just a skull and bones. A dead Ork, a dead Man, a dead Elf etc..... And lots of them. Each should be somewhat different than the other. "Oh look all the dead dudes look the same, now which one is the corpse we need to loot again guys?"

Wagons, carts, flying carpets, and Gnome {or Dwarf, I don't know your storyline} built steam powered land wagons.

City park. {lots of statues}

Furniture that is different than the Hero Quest furniture. Couch, loveseat, card table, potbelly stove.

I got more I am sure but the dogs are bugging me to pay attention to them.

:)
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby sorcerersapprentice » June 27th, 2015, 8:07 pm

Hi :) These are all fantastic. Consider them added to my list to be done.

Some notes: The tiles have been designed to fit the scale of most RPG games and their game squares of approximately 1 x 1 inch. Each Gaming Tile Card is 1.25 inches wide x 1.75 inches high (3.1cm x 4.4cm). Some are designed to slot into a card stand as a standing card (i.e a Door, Cupboard, Pillar) and some to lie flat as a classic tile (i.e. traps, carpets, chalk circle, a ring of mushrooms.) A standard table card covers 6 x 1 inch squares with a fraction of room to spare on all sides.

Not all tiles will be double-sided limiting which image can be seen when, I fully understand where you are coming from there and have taken care of that aspect.
Variety in Trees and bushes? got you covered.
Varied Gear Marker tiles, check.
Different furniture, check. Dead bodies, check.

The way I do things, I make at least 12 of each specific tile so that repetition is less likely to occur. This is great Cynthialee, thank you for the ideas, if you have more please feel free to share them, because I will be making them.

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » June 27th, 2015, 9:35 pm

If you hit the big time, consider hiring me as a gaming consultant.
With over 35 years in the Game Master's seat and a Role Playing Game I developed, both attests to my skills.

{shameless self promotion to follow}

http://www.lulu.com/shop/cp-bussell/sag ... 28597.html
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby sorcerersapprentice » June 27th, 2015, 11:27 pm

After my wife, certainly.

the basic concept of my tiles is similar to HQ doors. you stand them up in the card stands to represent an item. Or, like HQ tiles again, you lay them down over areas to transform the terrain. They have a gun-metal grey trim to enable them to more easily blend into what they are lain on - but subsequent tiles will be specialized. Also, that trim can potentially be removed (cut away) if you require a narrower tile. That I will need to check when the prototypes arrive in the next week or two. A HQ tile is approx 2.2 cm sq or 1.1 inch sq. HQ doors always overlapped more than one square because of the wider stands - my tile stands should be smaller than the HQ ones, and make for a more reasonable and scale size door tile.

Room tiles are not a major concern of ours, there are more than enough of those available, what's usually missing is the ability to detail them with a abundance of varied tile types. We're going to fix that.

If you have any feedback on the tiles I have done so far, please let me know. I think I posted the link - but its gametilewarehouse.com

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » June 28th, 2015, 12:28 pm

A Gallows. A Headsmans chopping block. A dude blindfolded at the firing squad line.

TOWNSFOLK! All the basic archetypes of course, but also non standard citizens one may find in a High Fantasy setting.
A wedding scene.

A theater. A coliseum. Sport venues. {Due to a series of events involving a dimensional portal, members of the Mexican army and the denizens of the fantasy world....Baseball is pretty big in my Fantasy game world, despite my personal aversion to the sport. Never should have had the Mexican NPC's try and befriend the Elf village....I expected some weird, but baseball?! Seems the heroes needed a way to bond the two disparate groups and they settled on sports. Baseball was the choice of the Mexican commander.}

Banks. Business office in the style of High Fantasy.

Invasion army tiles with mass formations of soldiers on the march.

A party with people making merry. Maybe an argument in one corner.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » June 30th, 2015, 3:48 pm

I'd say most HQ players are looking for something that has the "HQ look." By this, I mean ideally it should match the art of the gameboard, furniture, and other tile components. From that perspective, it would be cool if your tiles matched the hand-drawn style. I dunno, perhaps pieces photoshopped with a painterly style could do the trick. On the other hand, Hero Quest is a niche market, and you are probably better off sticking with what you like. That is more likely to reach more role players.

Anyway, some tile/cards I think Hero Quest could possibly use:

• pillars--slotted for interlocking might be cool as furniture
  • dias and steps
  • stand-up secret door
  • unsprung trap tiles--it doesn't look safe
  • searched room marker tiles
  • cell bar tiles and cell door
  • levers--both wall and floor mounted tiles
  • stand-up portcullises--both 1 and 2 squares wide
  • stand-up double doors
  • maybe wall-mounted torch tiles
  • wall-mounted chains tiles
  • brazier tiles
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby sorcerersapprentice » July 1st, 2015, 12:48 pm

Thanks for your contribution to the topic Daedulus, I appreciate it. I understand what you mean by the HQ look - I think it would be difficult to create thousands of tiles that referenced that style and perhaps somewhat drab despite best intentions. I certainly do hope though, that my tiles suit not only HQ but a very broad variety of RPG board-game types. That said, I played A LOT of HQ and have done my best to create tiles that will compliment the game.

I've written down your suggestions and will produce those ideas among my tiles, thank you.

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » July 1st, 2015, 1:53 pm

All I care is that things are close enough in scale to use, I don't need on the money. But I play TT RPG most the time and my HQ stuff does double duty for HQ and RPG.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby sorcerersapprentice » July 1st, 2015, 2:34 pm

I think the scale is one of the crucial factors to get right. I intend to offer two sizes of tile; 'micro' tiles 1.25 x 1.75 inch, (3.1 x 4.4 cm) and 'mini' tiles 1.75 x 2.5 inch (4.4 x 6.3 cm). The micro is exactly half the size of the mini. I have a HQ board here in front of me, and each sq is approx 0.8 of an inch or 2.1cm.

In keeping with HQ a bed would be best on a mini tile which fills entirely 6 HQ squares. Whilst a large chest, standing bookshelf, smaller table, set of stairs or door(way) is more suited to a micro tile, which not being square, fills two and overlaps half of another two squares. A lot of RPGs conventionally use a 1 sq inch base for their individual tiles - so scale should match.

I also intend to create individual circular and square chits, which measure .75 inch in diameter (1.9cm) fitting a HQ single tile very nicely. Larger chits, mats, room tiles will be created later.

sorcerersapprentice

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Cards