• Advertisement

GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Artifacts

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Re: GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Artifacts

Postby Count Mohawk » Tuesday February 24th, 2015 10:15am

Gold Bearer wrote:
cynthialee wrote:IDK about that....I got like 12 attack dice that think that Dwarf is diner in less than 3 melee rounds.
The dragon slayer sword kills any dragon that it wounds. :p

That would be rather anticlimactic. Although, if you assume 5 attack vs ~15 defend, the odds of even wounding a Dragon are probably relatively low per swing. (Look what you've gone and done, now I have to update my Excel tables to account for monsters with over 10 Attack and Defend dice. :gargoyle: )

Edit: 5 attack vs 15 defend leads to no damage only 44.5% of the time. That's somewhat depressing.
Last edited by Count Mohawk on Tuesday February 24th, 2015 10:51am, edited 1 time in total.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby GimmeYerGold » Tuesday February 24th, 2015 10:22am

Wow! A lot of opinions on dragons! I don't mind discussing this dragon stuff in another thread, but it's gotten far off topic for this thread :)

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » Tuesday February 24th, 2015 12:28pm

Gold Bearer wrote:
cynthialee wrote:IDK about that....I got like 12 attack dice that think that Dwarf is diner in less than 3 melee rounds.
The dragon slayer sword kills any dragon that it wounds. :p

a 1 hit kill on a beast 5x the size of a grown man is cheese

Now don't let that confuse you, I have nothing against one hit kills on human sized targets like heroes and orks.
Last edited by Daedalus on Thursday June 18th, 2015 12:23am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: double post
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » Tuesday February 24th, 2015 6:47pm

I'm making it up as I go along. :) I just wanted to :p
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2454

Wanna learn martial arts? Check out my youtube channel, tutorials coming soon. By far my most popular video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie6BkN-3E

Gateway to higher dimensions - DMT, Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtT6Xkk-kzk

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Thursday June 18th, 2015 6:34pm

The dragon mercifully went back to sleep, so now back on topic for some feedback (and then back to sleep):

Astral Projection
    Does this scroll allow a Wizard to attack with a Barbarian figure, using his broadsword? Same the other way round: can a Barbarian with this scroll attack with a Wizard figure that was given/possesses a broadsword?

Perhaps change "...you may immediately move and attack using their figure." > ...you may immediately move and attack using their figure and weapon restrictions or ...you may immediately move and attack using their figure but your own weapon restrictions.
Borin's Armor
    I like the may not be combined with restriction. That means it may be combined with a helmet, which suits me (and the wearer) fine.
Magical Throwing Dagger
    I'd change "...when thrown at any figure you can "see," however, you cannot throw the magical throwing dagger at a figure that is adjacent to you, or directly diagonal to you." > ...when thrown at any figure you can "see." However, you cannot throw the magical throwing dagger at a figure that is adjacent to you, or directly diagonal to you.
Rabbit Boots
    From the RotWL artifact card: "To jump over 1 discovered trap per turn,..."
    This open wording allows a jump over one searched-and-discovered trap or sprung-and-discovered pit trap . A sprung falling block trap may not be jumped as it is "a permanent block in the game," while a sprung spear trap may not be jumped as it is removed from the game (NA,) or has no further effect (EU).

From your card: "You may jump over one searched-for-and-found (but unsprung) trap per turn."
    Your revision allows a jump over one searched-for-and-found trap only if it is unsprung. This excludes sprung pit traps. Sprung falling block traps and spear traps don't apply, same as with the original card.

Why did you change Rabbit Boots not to work for a sprung pit trap? Shouldn't all possible trap jumps be covered?
Ring of Return
    Short fix: change "see," > "see" Optional rewording: "When invoked, this magical ring will return you, all friendly figures in the same room or corridor as you, and all friendly figures you can "see," to the starting point of the Quest...." > When invoked, this magical ring will return you and all friendly figures you can "see" or are in the same room or corridor as you to the starting point of the Quest....
Rock Skin
    While I like 2 extra Defend Dice, I have the same concern for this scroll as the EU-style Earth spell. If the two are both cast on the same Hero, that's 4 extra Defend Dice. A Hero could easily reach 9 Defend Dice, making things dull for Morcar/Zargon as his monsters uselessly flail away at the tank. The EU expansions weren't concerned with this as they lacked scroll spells and the Spell Ring. I'd add: May not be combined with another Rock Skin spell.
Sleep
    I'd change "...If a 6 is rolled, or the figure is attacked, the spell is broken...." > ...If a 6 is rolled or the figure is attacked, the spell is broken....
Spell Ring
    "May not be used with a spell scroll" is a sensible clarification, while prohibiting combination with the Potion of Recall is probably prudent.
Unicorn
    I'd change "This spell conjures up a Unicorn who can heal body and mind." > This spell conjures up a Unicorn which [or that] can heal body and mind. The unicorn doesn't have a name or known sex, so it's safe to say it isn't personified.
Wand of Magic
    I'd change "...cast two separate and different spells or spell scrolls on their turn instead of one single spell or spell scroll." > ...cast two separate and different spells or scroll spells on their turn instead of one single spell or scroll spell. A spell scroll is the artifact used, like the Wand of Magic. The spell contained within is the thing cast, as evidenced by their introductory wording (ex. This spell may be cast on a monster....) That's how I see it, anyway.
Wand of Recall
    Nice reuse of the EU image and title with a new ability. (Good idea, Sjeng.)

This is a great looking set of cards. KK and RotWL called for spell scrolls to be chosen randomly, recorded, and returned to a deck. Do you plan the same, or are they to be kept until used? Since a few are unique to spell scrolls, I'd think a player would want to keep the card close. That would mean a spell scroll in a Hero's possession wouldn't be available for drawing randomly until it was cast. Or is there another plan?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » Friday June 19th, 2015 12:40pm

Thanks so much for reviewing all these cards, Daedalus! I know how much time it takes to read through this hug pile of cards :T

I've been currently revising the whole set, and your feedback is spot-on! I'm taking your advice to heart here, and trimming down the number of cards drastically to EZ-fix some of the more convoluted issues, (in fact, doing away with my clunky skill system, and opting for the easier option of granting certain heroes beneficial starting equipment, instead)

Ultimately my goal is a "best of" both the UK and NA cards, with some homebrew thrown in, that's optimized for simple and quick set up, like the spirit of the first core set.

Thanks again, D! |_P

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby tallyho » Wednesday December 27th, 2017 2:15pm

4) Turned an old dwarf skill into a firearm-type artifact. powerful, but injures hero.

This is how i think it could be, fire-type artifact.
I borrowed yor card art on this one.

KruttvåpenCardTemplate6.png

Made a New post regarding this card here;
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4065
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TakeAway
tallyho

Mummy
Mummy

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Cards