• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Equipment

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Equipment

Postby GimmeYerGold » Tuesday February 17th, 2015 6:53pm

Okay here's a fun one: EQUIPMENT.

Lots of stuff here!

Notes:
1) In some respects, I tried to combine the "feel" of the EU (UK?) Armory and the NA armory, especially in regards to the Wizard's options.
2) Tried to keep prices at a level that considers that a hero could buy X or Y, so something that may seem really powerful isn't a crazy price just for the sake of it, because it's one of many options when a Hero has a lump of cash. So they'll have to go without X if they choose Y instead! You get the picture. Also, taking into consideration if a Hero has to start from scratch mid campaign.
3) Added some "advancement" style items, because I wanted to allow the heroes to feel they could increase different stats other than def and attack, but without adding in an actual advancement system. I like equipment-based upgrades. I think the torch and lantern are interesting, as they add movement bonuses at the expense of your shield hand/extra hand to hold a two-handed weapon.
4) included what I considered versions of the most useful potions at more reasonable prices, rather than creating a separate alchemist's shop deck.

If your curious about what the bard and monk are like, I will upload the 2 extra hero types soon, but the bard is right between the elf and the wizard with 2 spell groups, and the monk is a "glass cannon," can hit as hard as a barbarian but has low body points, and wizard restrictions when it comes to armor.

More card sets I'm working on:
[revised] Encounter Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2828
[revised] Artifact Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2826
[revised] Combat Skill Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2823
[revised] Chaos Spell Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2822
[revised] Hero Spell Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2821
[revised] Monster Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2820
[revised] Lone Monster Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2816
[revised] Settlement Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2813
[revised] Treasure Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2812
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GimmeYerGold on Friday February 20th, 2015 7:50pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Equipment

Postby Rook » Tuesday February 17th, 2015 8:21pm

I really like these. Always liked the EU cards, but I do like the mechanic of having the armoury freely available to everyone. May simply need to print multiple decks I guess?

Only piece of critical feedback I can give is that the list of 'cannot be used by' is relatively huge on some of the cards, feeling a touch more like the end of a pharmaceutical commercial where the warning labels seem to outweigh any potential benefit (Like "This may make you feel less pain, but could result in nausea, bleeding gums, heart palpitations, or even death"). Not entirely sure what the solution to that would be either, since it cannot be completely cured by having the monk's limitation listed elsewhere (Since he can still use some weapons, like the dagger), or by having the limitations in a second block of text in an effort to separate them.

Still though, a relatively tiny piece for an overall great set of cards! Thanks for posting these!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Rook
A dense collection of housing

Fimir
Fimir

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » Wednesday February 18th, 2015 12:09pm

Rook wrote:I really like these. Always liked the EU cards, but I do like the mechanic of having the armoury freely available to everyone. May simply need to print multiple decks I guess?

Only piece of critical feedback I can give is that the list of 'cannot be used by' is relatively huge on some of the cards, feeling a touch more like the end of a pharmaceutical commercial where the warning labels seem to outweigh any potential benefit (Like "This may make you feel less pain, but could result in nausea, bleeding gums, heart palpitations, or even death"). Not entirely sure what the solution to that would be either, since it cannot be completely cured by having the monk's limitation listed elsewhere (Since he can still use some weapons, like the dagger), or by having the limitations in a second block of text in an effort to separate them.

Still though, a relatively tiny piece for an overall great set of cards! Thanks for posting these!

Thanks Rook! I really like the NA style armory of the big "menu," and had been working on one for awhile before I blew up the selection of items, would be cool to try and have both if possible--also I now use a tiered system of when items become available for purchase and the cards work better for that, and more modular for anyone's use. My idea is the cards all stay together, and can be referenced if needed--not sure if that's slightly less efficient than a big board, but I found from experience that multiple decks led to way to many cards to sort. Made cleanup/setup after each quest a pain!

This link shows the current breakdown of when items are available, prices, and and who can equip them.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ingle=true

Some of the restrictions were for flavor reasons-- taking your comment into consideration, it does seem excessive on my part to have an item not usable by 3 of my 6 heroes, perhaps 2 is enough for any one item.

I can allow the bard to wear all armor, like the elf--I restricted the monk from using edged weapons for style reason--I'm still on the fence about allowing the monk to use ALL weapons, or allowing the Bard to use ALL weapons. Still trying to make it balanced, but here is an alternative spreadsheet, where the Bard can use more weapons and armor, and the monk can use the battle axe and the horn:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ingle=true

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Rook » Wednesday February 18th, 2015 12:31pm

Oh I do agree on the multiple decks; It's one of those 'in a perfect world' scenarios, but frankly it's why we have pencil and paper to play these games in the first place. :D I was getting carried away thinking of multiple decks, deck boxes for individual characters (So they can sort their equipment from night to night) stacks of Healing Potion cards....

... and then the reality sets in that I've turned it into Magic: The Gathering, or D&D 4th Ed instead of HeroQuest :lol:

I totally agree with the flavour of limits for certain classes, and shown on the spread sheet it doesn't seem like there really is that many limits. I personally love the old mantra of learning to say 'yes, but...' to my gamers, so I always try to look at designs with that in mind, so perhaps that simply caught me.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Rook
A dense collection of housing

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby cornixt » Wednesday February 18th, 2015 12:37pm

The talismans have a word missing out on their last line "You may only wear one talisman at time"

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
cornixt

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » Wednesday February 18th, 2015 1:11pm

cornixt wrote:The talismans have a word missing out on their last line "You may only wear one talisman at time"

Good eye! Thanks cornixt. I will fix that.

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » Wednesday June 10th, 2015 11:09pm

The Equipment Cards look great. Some feedback:

Axe
    Why did you change this to a 2-handed weapon?
Bomb
    "This bomb can only be thrown in a straight line, as far a the number of squares equal to the roll of one red die....Must be thrown after the die is rolled, no matter the result." By straight line do you mean only vertical or horizontal? If so, I'd change "...thrown in a straight line..." > ...thrown in a horizontal or vertical straight line....

If instead diagonal lines are permitted, there is a complication since two orthogonally-counted paths to a target square are possible. This means short or long throws will often result in two possible target squares. I'd say the actual squares in such cases would be determined randomly. Here's a stab at the wording to clarify this: "This bomb is thrown in a straight line. Roll a red die to determine the distance where it lands. For diagonal lines, randomly determine from which side to orthogonally count. It will explode..." Then again, maybe the players should be trusted to figure out diagonal paths on their own in the name of simplicity.

Another point to consider is the strength of a bomb that automatically does damage. At 75 gold coins, thats a lot of bang for the buck. Compare that to the equivalent cost of three daggers, which only have a chance to hit half of the time and may be defended. I've reworked the bomb as I'd have it. Ignore or adapt as you please.

Bomb

150 gold coins

weapon

This fused bomb is thrown in a straight
    line. Roll a red die to determine the
    distance where it lands. For diagonal
    lines, orthogonally count distance. It
    inflicts 2 Body Points of damage to any
    figures in the square it explodes and
    each adjacent square. All victims
    immediately roll two red dice. For each
    5 or 6 rolled, the damage is reduced by
    1 point. This may only be used once.

Boots of Speed
    As the extra movement die is always useful throughout all Quests, I'd increase the cost to 500 gold coins. This is equal to chain mail, another item potentially useful throughout all Quests. Hell, it's a bargain considering the cost of potions that only grant one-time speed effects. (Okay, I see you've lowered the Potion of Dexterity cost as well, but I'd rather have the boots and potion cost more. :2cents: )

Broadsword
    Increasing the cost to 300 gold coins seems reasonable, considering power creep is so fast in HQ.

Bracers of Defense
    Your Rust spell affects any metal object but artifacts. Since Bracers of Defense aren't affected either, I'd increase the cost to 400 gold coins to account for a magical ability not in the originals. Otherwise, I'd keep the cost at a more affordable 200 gold coins but remove the anti-Rust exception.

Circlet of Safety
    Like the Bracers of Defense, I'd double the cost to 350 gold coins or make it suceptible to a Rust spell.

Cloak of Protection
    The increase in cost is a good idea.

Crossbow
    The higher cost is a good idea

Horn of Blasting
    I think a monster should get to defend against this, either with its Mind Points or two red dice, 5-6. Even then, this may be an overpowered item if its uses aren't limited. Perhaps roll a combat die for each use, it sunders if a black shield is rolled.

Lantern
    I'd reduce "This metal cylinder filled with burning oil may be used in place of a shield, and adds 4 squares to your movement roll while using it." > This metal cylinder filled with burning oil adds 4 squares to your movement roll while using it. I feel the shield reference is unecessary as the lantern is already listed as prohibited for certain weapons. Also, it should be possible to use a lantern and shield together without a weapon, as evidenced on the shield card. [-edit]

Longsword/Mace
    The Mace lacks the Monk restriction, so I think it should be more expensive than the otherwise identical longsword. I'd simply switch the costs, though you could increase the mace cost instead.

Plate Armor
    If a 2 is rolled for movement, subtracting 2 squares results in no move. Is this what you intend? If not, you need to add something like, "You may always move at least 1 square."

Well, that's about half and this is running long. I'll take up the rest in another post.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » Thursday June 11th, 2015 5:48pm

Continuing with the comments:

For potions in general, I'm in favor of lessening the discounts (half is the default). However, I don't see a need for you to initially change costs you decided on based on my untested opinions. Rather, look upon each suggestion as an individual fix to be ret-conned later should a play-balance issue develop. Supply and demand simply explains any increase. Another rational could be discounts are provided by a greatful Alchemist indebted to the Heroes or Mentor. This kind of obligation could naturally wane with his/her profits.

Potion of Battle
    For the cost of a dagger that misses half of the time, this potion allows a crossbow to reroll 3 attack dice that is only defended once. I think the cost should at least be tripled to address this disparity. As this potion also alternately allows more Defend Dice (probably) to be rerolled than a Potion of Defense, I feel this potion should be set at 100 gold coins.
Potion of Dexterity
    Due to the rewording, I'd reduce "...OR jump one trap successfully, guaranteed." > ...OR jump one trap successfully. As the versatilitiy of this potion either enhances speed to get that first attack or potentially prevents the loss of a valuable Body Point, I'd double the discounted price to 50 gold coins.
Potion of Fire Rage
    This potion gives twice the value of a 25 gold coin dagger for multiple turns, and the 3+ Attack Dice are only defended once. This kills most monsters before they can retaliate, so a Hero with a high defense will likely get a lot of use out of this one. I'd increase the discounted cost to at least 200 gold coins to balance this advantage.
Potion of Frost Skin
    Through its effects, the benefit of this potion is likely to last multiple turns. That should mean saved Body Points which is worth a bunch. I'd set this potion at 150 gold coins.
Potion of Recall
    This potion allows another healing spell which restores 4 Body Points, the most important resource in the game. This should be limited or Morcar/Zargon will be that much less likely to kill a Hero--this drains tension. I'm for increasing the cost to 200 gold coins. It should saved for emergencies only. A lesser potion that works for Fire and Air spells only could remain cheaper, say 100 gold coins.
Potion of Refreshment
    For me, 1 Body Point is worth 50 gold coins. This potion additionaly restores 1 Mind Point. Mind Points are reduced less often, but they can't be defended with upgrades or magical help--50 gold coins again. I feel that 100 gold coins is about right, as both benefits will often be gained together.

Shortbow
    While I allow a diagonal shot, listing the restriction is a good idea if you don't. I like this card.
Shortsword
    I imagine you have a way of calculating weapon cost that calls for increasing the cost to 200 gold coins. Personally, I think you could leave this orphan of the game weapons alone at 150 gold coins. Nobody's gonna buy it anyway unless their main weapon was destroyed by a Rust spell and they can't afford a better one at the moment. At such times, cheapness is the only benefit of this weapon that I see.
Sling
    I also like this new card, including the homogenous art style drawn by Goblin-King. (I recoginze some others he has done in this set, but the slinger is my favorite.)
Spear
    Your price of 250 gold coins seems reasonable for a diagonal weapon. Unfortunately, I think this will mean the spear will be thrown even less often.
Spiked Club
    No class restrictions with 2 AD--this makes an interesting alternative for the Wizard's Staff. This means a replacement is available if that artifact is lost upon death of a Wizard. Good weapon addition.
Talisman of Lore and Talisman of Might
    Can a Hero carry an unequipped spare talisman of the alternate type? Personally, I'm not in favor of making stat-altering artifacts common upgrades through purchase. Given that bias, I'm in favor of increasing the costs. Offhand, I'd say a more-or-less permenant Mind Point should cost at least 750 gold coins while a similar Body Point should cost no less than 1000 gold coins.
Tool Kit
    I'd move "See rulebook for correct procedure" forward, as it applies only to the original use of the tool kit. I think the preceding sentence regarding the use of marking a trap works better at the end, independent of the "See rulebook..." reference.
Torch
    Does a torch last/burn more than one Quest? If not, you need to add a limit and possibly make it cheaper, say 50 gold coins. Also, I'd change "This wooden rod mounted with burning cloth may be used in place of a shield, and adds 2 squares to your movement roll while using it." > This wooden stick wrapped with burning cloth adds 2 squares to your movement roll while using it.
War Hammer
    I prefer a greatsword over allowing a heavy weapon for the Monk. She already has her spells and powers. This allows the Barbarian a bit of offensive star power over other Heroes if the Dwarf and Elf are also denied its use. :2cents:

Whip
    I don't know how I feel about a whip for a Wizard. I'd restrict it.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Return to Cards