• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Treasure

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Re: GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Treasure

Postby cynthialee » February 19th, 2015, 2:50 pm

I tend to stack the treasure deck prior to game and the addition of any treasure cards is a bonus. Some cards do not make it into the deck if I feel it is not appropriate to the dungeon and some extra cards may be added in on occasion.
Why do I do this? Game balance and the desire to tailor my dungeons so they are more in tune with my take on heroic questing in a High Fantasy realm.
Also I do not like it when the players pull every hazard and wandering monster card in the deck due to the vagaries of fate, nor do I like it when they keep pulling treasure after treasure and not a single hazard comes up due to them all ending on the bottom some how.

I would really like to have all the equipment cards done up with treasure card backs so I could slip an upgrade into the deck when it seems apropos.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby GimmeYerGold » February 19th, 2015, 5:28 pm

cynthialee wrote:I tend to stack the treasure deck prior to game and the addition of any treasure cards is a bonus. Some cards do not make it into the deck if I feel it is not appropriate to the dungeon and some extra cards may be added in on occasion.
Why do I do this? Game balance and the desire to tailor my dungeons so they are more in tune with my take on heroic questing in a High Fantasy realm.
Also I do not like it when the players pull every hazard and wandering monster card in the deck due to the vagaries of fate, nor do I like it when they keep pulling treasure after treasure and not a single hazard comes up due to them all ending on the bottom some how.

I would really like to have all the equipment cards done up with treasure card backs so I could slip an upgrade into the deck when it seems apropos.

A "living, organic" treasure deck like that is a cool idea! For the equipment-in-the-treasure-deck idea you have, you could have those equipment treasure card(s) request you draw a random card from the equipment deck. Furthermore you could limit that equipment deck to a certain range of items to suit your taste.

( :2cents: One reason I recommend something like this so that the equipment deck can serve two-fold, rather than a separate card for the same item. I'm recovering from an overdose of card madness from my last custom print run :p )

A mechanic like this is precedent in the KK and RotWL expansion packs when it requests you draw a random spell scroll during a special treasure find, and a similar mechanic is at play in Sjeng's treasure deck, that has a separate potion and spell scroll deck to draw from when you find the appropriate card.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » June 12th, 2015, 9:06 pm

I've got a bit of feedback:

Hazard
    Maybe I'm just nit-picky, but "a hidden arrow shoots from a turret" doesn't work for me. Turrets make me think of tower-like features on the outside of castles or modern weaponry.

Wandering Monster
    The Goblin image is perfect, much better than the original card art. :cookie:
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Previous

Return to Cards