• Advertisement
HeroGM Advanced Soundboard

Dive into the dimension of dynamic sound with Hero GM!
Free version available! Save 10% on full version with offer code "yeoldeinn"

GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Treasure

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Treasure

Postby GimmeYerGold » Monday February 16th, 2015 12:35pm

Well, that post title was a mouthful!

I wanted to share the latest revision of my cards with y'all, so I'll start first a preview of the Treasure Cards!

PDF attached below.

Notes:

1) I tried to add more variety in the images presented for each treasure "type," even with the wandering monsters. I chose 50 cards as a sort of "double" to the amount of cards in the UK system treasure set.

2) Changed "dust of disappearance" to "vanishing dust" for sake of room on the cards and character sheet. Removed certain potions that I felt had a too-specific usage, and might sit around collecting dust (no pun intended) before their use.

3) The odds of "good" vs "bad" treasures are on par with the NA system treasure deck, about 58% chance of a "good" treasure from a full deck.

4) Total, there are about 545 gold coins in this deck. I typically play with 6 players, so that divides to about 91 gold coins a Hero, on par with the gold-per-Hero average in the UK deck, however, even with 4 Heroes you'd have to do a bit of painful digging to fully exploit the total gold in this deck.

5) I removed words that refer to specific locations in an indoor setting, like "corner" or "shelf," because I wanted the treasure cards to function as modular as possible, for instance, in case a quest takes place in the forest, and treasure searches are still taking place.

I have more preview sets I'll be sharing this week, probably 2 sets a day. Thought it would be better to do one at a time rather than dumping them all in one post.

Thanks for the time looking over this little project, as always! |_P

More card sets I'm working on:
[revised] Encounter Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2828
[revised] Artifact Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2826
[revised] Combat Skill Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2823
[revised] Chaos Spell Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2822
[revised] Hero Spell Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2821
[revised] Monster Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2820
[revised] Equipment Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2818
[revised] Lone Monster Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2816
[revised] Settlement Cards here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2813
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GimmeYerGold on Friday February 20th, 2015 7:48pm, edited 5 times in total.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: GimmeYerGold's [revised] Custom Cards Preview: Treasure

Postby Anderas » Monday February 16th, 2015 12:43pm

I like some of the non-standard pictures! Thanks a lot. You're making them yourself, right?

I don't understand the Corpse, though. What use does it have?
Did i understand correctly, you don't like the mixing of cards after a wandering monster?

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Yeti
Yeti

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » Monday February 16th, 2015 12:57pm

Anderas wrote:I like some of the non-standard pictures! Thanks a lot. You're making them yourself, right?

I don't understand the Corpse, though. What use does it have?
Did i understand correctly, you don't like the mixing of cards after a wandering monster?

I haven't made the pictures myself, if that's what you're asking. Countless hours searching for Gary Chalk art! Admittedly, I could have drawn my own in that time, but I do like his style very much :)

The corpse card is meant to give you the choice of accepting a harmless yet unfruitful treasure search, or taking another chance to draw a second card that could be good or bad. So, it's like a "nothing" card, but you can take a gamble and draw again. Does that come across?

I don't mind shuffling cards at all. I think it's good in fact. I think the rule we try to remember is that one a good card is drawn, and not returned to the deck, then we shuffle the whole deck.

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Rook » Monday February 16th, 2015 10:36pm

A sharp looking set of cards! They look terrific!

I personally like the mechanic of the Casket and Corpse, gives the GM a chance to remind players that they can, in essence, 'roll again' if they are feeling lucky... or if the treasure pile is starting to get a bit sparse towards the end of a quest they can count themselves lucky and move on.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Rook
A dense collection of housing

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » Tuesday February 17th, 2015 3:57pm

Rook wrote:A sharp looking set of cards! They look terrific!

I personally like the mechanic of the Casket and Corpse, gives the GM a chance to remind players that they can, in essence, 'roll again' if they are feeling lucky... or if the treasure pile is starting to get a bit sparse towards the end of a quest they can count themselves lucky and move on.

Thanks Rook! Glad you like the cards! I added a bit of clarification on the cask and corpse cards to address any confusion mentioned above by Anderas, to make it communicate this take-a-chance-reminder feeling you put so well into words, as that was the intention of the cards.

Something like: "If you wish to search the __________, draw another card after returning this card to the bottom of the deck, if you do not, merely return this card to the bottom of the deck."

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Rook » Tuesday February 17th, 2015 8:01pm

Checked the re-work and it works for me!

Nicely done 8-)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Rook
A dense collection of housing

Fimir
Fimir

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » Tuesday February 17th, 2015 9:41pm

Nice job. I like the casket and corpse.
I like that you made things a little more "modular", as you put it.

Personally, I like the idea of having special card sets for various settings and terrain and such,
but I know that becomes a lot to keep up with and lose, and can bog things down. Just my personal
preference. I think the generic works better for more people, though.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » Wednesday February 18th, 2015 1:56pm

torilen wrote:Nice job. I like the casket and corpse.
I like that you made things a little more "modular", as you put it.

Personally, I like the idea of having special card sets for various settings and terrain and such,
but I know that becomes a lot to keep up with and lose, and can bog things down. Just my personal
preference. I think the generic works better for more people, though.

Thanks Torilen! I feel ya, I think there is some excellent area-specific flavor text, especially in the UK treasure cards--features like that help to flesh out the dungeon map, even beyond the furniture accessories.

HQ has a lot of great tangible features, but the writing I've always thought is really something that ties it all together very nicely.

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » Wednesday February 18th, 2015 5:16pm

I really like these cards. It looks like you've put a lot of effort into them. The new cards you have added fit in seamlessly with the original gold/trap/wandering monster cards. I also really like the corpse and casket idea. It's also nice to see things like the crown and mutton!! (I'm still laughing about that one!)

torilen wrote:Personally, I like the idea of having special card sets for various settings and terrain and such,
preference.

I wouldn't mind having two or three different treasure decks for different environments. Maybe 'Crypt Treasure', 'Orc's Lair Treasure' and 'Chaos Fortress Treasure' would do?
I think there are some decks like this on the cards download page.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby GimmeYerGold » Thursday February 19th, 2015 2:12pm

The Road Warrior wrote:I really like these cards. It looks like you've put a lot of effort into them. The new cards you have added fit in seamlessly with the original gold/trap/wandering monster cards. I also really like the corpse and casket idea. It's also nice to see things like the crown and mutton!! (I'm still laughing about that one!)

Ha! Glad you liked those, Road Warrior! Just saying "mutton" makes me think of the trolls in the Hobbit, "Nothin' but mutton to eat!"

torilen wrote:Personally, I like the idea of having special card sets for various settings and terrain and such,
preference.

The Road Warrior wrote:I wouldn't mind having two or three different treasure decks for different environments. Maybe 'Crypt Treasure', 'Orc's Lair Treasure' and 'Chaos Fortress Treasure' would do?
I think there are some decks like this on the cards download page.

I could see generating a Mad Libs style fill in the blanks for cards like those, where "LOCATION" etc. is filled in with the appropriate description. "A pile of old bones," or "among the remains of a dead knight," for Crypt Treasure, there are several cards in the system that mention soiled blankets, and old furs, basically, anything gross and smelly would go with the Orc's Lair, and for Chaos Fortress? I guess a little bit of both, with some sinister evil magic stuff thrown in. Before you know it, you're immersed in your setting.

Rewards:
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Cards