• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Some card printing advice...

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Some card printing advice...

Postby clmckay » March 22nd, 2014, 11:21 pm

Hello,

Been printing out some cards. I suppose I do it rather wonky...but here's what I've been doing: everything I've printed has been designed so that the paper is printed on both sides, so I've done this. Then I laminate (yes...laminate, but with children that are getting to this age, god I'm getting old, the water resistant effect is wonderful and keeps originals nice and safe). Then cut out with straight cutter thing and use the good ol scissors and corner punch for the rest. This works great for those cards designed for front back printing.

The problem I'm having is with cards that seem to have been designed to print -single sided, then folded over so that you have the front and back. I'm curious how others print these types of cards. The above method fails as when trimmed the card splits into halves. Any suggestions?

Chris

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Some card printing advice...

Postby Sydcomebak » March 23rd, 2014, 12:03 am

depends on the source pdfs or images, where are you getting yours?

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Destroyed a Zombie! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Sydcomebak

Orc
Orc

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » March 23rd, 2014, 1:01 am

http://www.printerstudio.com/

Using this company's service is far cheaper than printing them yourself. I spent over $200 self-printing lesser quality cards than the same amount of them from here for less than thirty.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby clmckay » March 23rd, 2014, 7:23 am

Sydcomebak wrote:depends on the source pdfs or images, where are you getting yours?

All are from this site. The ones I mention that look like they are to be folded over usually are part of the quest packs. I actually think that it's the output from the CardCreator program.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » March 23rd, 2014, 7:30 am

I always print one sided, then glue them together with a bit of glue-stick (pritt), and then cut them out and laminate them as well.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby clmckay » March 23rd, 2014, 7:34 am

chaoticprime wrote:http://www.printerstudio.com/

Using this company's service is far cheaper than printing them yourself. I spent over $200 self-printing lesser quality cards than the same amount of them from here for less than thirty.

Looks interesting...I don't see, in a cursory look over, a way upload to them. Do you use it for custom made cards(what size by the way)? I'd think that would be very convenient for making new cards, but rather hard to recreate from an existing PDF, unless there's a way to upload a file.

Rewards:
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Postby mukami » March 23rd, 2014, 1:07 pm

chaoticprime wrote:http://www.printerstudio.com/

I went this route also, the quality is great and price is reasonable.

As for uploading, it takes a bit of time for first-time users, but it's worth it in the long run.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Killed a mighty Fimir! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mukami

Mummy
Mummy

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » March 23rd, 2014, 3:27 pm

Its very simple. The right-most options on the menu is cards. When you select cards, you're given the option of using blank ones. Select the Blank Bridge cards. To easily strip protection from any PDF, make a shortcut of it and enter is Properties. From there, select and copy the address in the Target field and then paste it into your web browser, which will allow you to print it. You can also use Foxit PDF to open the PDF and then print it out as a new file. Your best bet is to open up the PDFs in Photoshop and create a 2.49"x3.79" background. Use the selection tool to copy finished card faces and then paste them onto the background of the new image. Save as a new file ready to be uploaded.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » March 29th, 2014, 3:02 am

clmckay wrote:The problem I'm having is with cards that seem to have been designed to print -single sided, then folded over so that you have the front and back. I'm curious how others print these types of cards. The above method fails as when trimmed the card splits into halves. Any suggestions?

Chris

Patroclus shows how to make double-backed cards in this thread.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby clmckay » March 30th, 2014, 9:07 pm

chaoticprime wrote:Its very simple. The right-most options on the menu is cards. When you select cards, you're given the option of using blank ones. Select the Blank Bridge cards. To easily strip protection from any PDF, make a shortcut of it and enter is Properties. From there, select and copy the address in the Target field and then paste it into your web browser, which will allow you to print it. You can also use Foxit PDF to open the PDF and then print it out as a new file. Your best bet is to open up the PDFs in Photoshop and create a 2.49"x3.79" background. Use the selection tool to copy finished card faces and then paste them onto the background of the new image. Save as a new file ready to be uploaded.

I've just placed an order through the site you mentioned. We'll see how it goes. I'm sure first time through is pretty much a trial so I only did the 54 card "Bridge" size deck. For the $8 you can't really go wrong.

Out of curiosity, when you've done yours, how does the red line impact the finished product? In the main screen (with all the tiny cards) I see the red line and have bits that cross it, but in the zoomed card (where you can move the image around) I have it inside the white area - there is no red line in that view. So...I'm not sure that I've successfully gotten all of them lined up right if that's a major issue. However, I think that out of the 54 maybe only 4 or 5 have passed the redline in the small preview window.

Chris

Rewards:
clmckay

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:

Next

Return to Cards