• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Some new wizard spells.

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Some new wizard spells.

Postby JasonMCM » February 8th, 2014, 2:09 am

So after making some Necromancer spells that contained the line: "Do not discard after use." I got to thinking, that the wizard should have some spells like that and thus the Arcane spell school was born.

Arcane Arrow: Make a 1 combat die attack against any 1 enemy that you can see. That enemy defends as normal. Do not discard this spell after use.
Arcane Armor: Target hero rolls 1 additional combat die the next time he defends. This spell ends at the end of the wizard's next turn regardless if any defense rolls were made. Do not discard this spell after use.
Arcane Speed: Target hero rolls 1 additional red die the next time he moves. This spell ends at the end of the wizard's next turn regardless if any movement dice were rolled. Do not discard this spell after use.
Arcane Mending: Restore up to 2 lost Body Points to target hero, but only if they were lost since the beginning of the Evil Wizard's last turn. Do not discard this spell after use.

I intentionally made them weaker than the other spells, but since they can be played multiple times they may actually see some use. What do you all think?
Last edited by JasonMCM on February 8th, 2014, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you PBP? I do. See my exploits below.

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Some new wizard spells.

Postby Sjeng » February 8th, 2014, 3:36 am

There are some who call me... Tim?
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby The Road Warrior » February 8th, 2014, 9:11 am

JasonMCM wrote:Arcane Mending: Restore up to 2 lost Body Points to target hero, but only if they were lost since the beginning of the Evil Wizard's last turn. Do not discard this spell after use.

Sorry, but I think Arcane mending is a very bad idea. :(
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby JasonMCM » February 8th, 2014, 11:57 am

Too powerful? I thought it might be. Would dropping it to 1 BP of healing make it a better idea? Or should I scrap it all together and come up with another one?

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie!
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby The Road Warrior » February 8th, 2014, 12:34 pm

JasonMCM wrote:Too powerful? I thought it might be. Would dropping it to 1 BP of healing make it a better idea? Or should I scrap it all together and come up with another one?

It's up to you. I just think giving the Heroes an unlimited supply of BP is a bad idea.
Join in the community project.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
The Road Warrior

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » February 8th, 2014, 12:58 pm

The Evil Wizard player would have to hit the wizard four times with 3 BP or more. The most attack dice he usually gets is 4 from a chaos warrior.
Even if lowering to 1 bp mending, I fully agree with RW here. Four 2-bp hits would be necessary.
Way, way overpowered.

The wizard would basically become the second tank in the group, the first being the dwarf, drawing monster attacks, but negating virtually all damage, making the heroes... well, invincible, cause when he is not attacked, he uses a different spell to attack the monster not attacking him.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby JasonMCM » February 8th, 2014, 1:49 pm

Very good points. I have replaced it in the original post with Arcane Speed. [+1 red die for one hero for one move.]

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » March 4th, 2014, 3:50 am

Spanishquest is also adding spells that aren't discarded, one for each spell group, if I recall correctly. The Wiz needs something.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby JasonMCM » March 4th, 2014, 4:19 am

Daedalus wrote:Spanishquest is also adding spells that aren't discarded, one for each spell group, if I recall correctly. The Wiz needs something.

Oh... well in that case I burn this Idea with a flamethrower and pretend it never happened. I want nothing to do with that steaming pile of lemony goodness.

Just Kidding.... mostly

Amy the Amazon
Interactive HeroQuest
Sir. Jason the Champion
Trapped in the Dark
Swiftfoot the Elf
The Dark Company
Zargon the Evil Wizard
Core Quests Redone

Rewards:
JasonMCM

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby arntisdale » June 26th, 2021, 2:36 pm

JasonMCM wrote:So after making some Necromancer spells that contained the line: "Do not discard after use." I got to thinking, that the wizard should have some spells like that and thus the Arcane spell school was born.

Arcane Arrow: Make a 1 combat die attack against any 1 enemy that you can see. That enemy defends as normal. Do not discard this spell after use.
Arcane Armor: Target hero rolls 1 additional combat die the next time he defends. This spell ends at the end of the wizard's next turn regardless if any defense rolls were made. Do not discard this spell after use.
Arcane Speed: Target hero rolls 1 additional red die the next time he moves. This spell ends at the end of the wizard's next turn regardless if any movement dice were rolled. Do not discard this spell after use.
Arcane Mending: Restore up to 2 lost Body Points to target hero, but only if they were lost since the beginning of the Evil Wizard's last turn. Do not discard this spell after use.

I intentionally made them weaker than the other spells, but since they can be played multiple times they may actually see some use. What do you all think?

I do like this idea a lot, this is how I would change it to fit my own preferences:
Arcane Bolt: Same as original, but in my mind the 'bolt' has kind of a magic missile appearance, but an arcane 'arrow' looks like an arrow.
Arcane Shield: Same as original, but self only, and the spell would continue to function until a hit got through breaking the shield, or the end of wizard's next turn. Once again, in my mind, the wizard holding a magical shield in front of him just seems cooler to me.
Arcane Speed: Would change to self only, and instead of adding 1d6, I'd nerf it down to add 1d6, and then pick the highest two, no change to duration

No Arcane Healing, as was discussed previously.

This Arcane Spell group does seem like it would make a beautiful 3-spell addition to the Wizard! I really like the the idea of giving him access to a set of spells that never wears out, but is counterbalanced by being not too impressive.
arntisdale

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:

Return to Cards