• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Elf Skill Cards

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Re: Elf Skill Cards

Postby Goblin-King » November 14th, 2013, 9:59 am

Tott wrote:i really like these but i dont think the sneaky ones are really suitable for the elf, hes supposed to be more of a noble wood elf, all nature loving and stuff. really great for a thief or assassin character though!

I tend to agree with this.
Nothing wrong with these at all, but not that Elf-like.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby torilen » November 14th, 2013, 10:14 am

Doing great, gimmeyergold - I like the elf cards a lot.

I'm not sure I would use all of the cards you've made so far personally, but you've been
giving me some great ideas. The use of cards like this allows for a wide variance of
character types, without adding to the rules at all. Example - your sneak in shadows -
as someone already stated, this would create a thief type character out of the elf.
Add it with the stab from shadows (is that right?) and you have an assassin.

I think if I were to implement something like this, I would allow a player to get
multiples of the cards, so they can use them more than once per quest, and possibly
have an advanced version of some, like the stab from shadows, so it causes more damage
if used properly (maybe the player could use two or three at once to cause more damage?)

These really are good though. Can't wait to see more.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 14th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Tott wrote:i really like these but i dont think the sneaky ones are really suitable for the elf, hes supposed to be more of a noble wood elf, all nature loving and stuff. really great for a thief or assassin character though!

I don't see him like that at all. All joking about the pansy Elf aside, for me he's always been a rogue. The posture, the sword, the look in his face, the sword, that's practicality and opportunism for you right there. For me, he hasn't even been a Wood Elf (note the absence of bow, spear, cloak & hood, or anything Wood Elf cliché), but more the urban dwelling Half Elf type (note the simple street/town clothes and the color depiction thereof).
He's not evil by any means and no Dark Elf, but Mentor chose him for his sneakiness. Look at the rest of the group and tell me what's missing for a well-balanced adventure group without that character.

Point being: I like the cards for the character depicted.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » November 14th, 2013, 4:08 pm

knightkrawler wrote:The posture, the sword, the look in his face, the sword

Don't forget the sword.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » November 14th, 2013, 4:28 pm

Yeah, the sword is important. It has a point, so to speak.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Tott » November 15th, 2013, 8:19 am

theres a sword?

dont get me wrong, i love the cards, i just wouldn't associate it with the elf in HQ, ive always seen him as a sword and sorcery guy. one hand free for spellcasting, the other with a strange pointy thing. probably a really big knitting needle.
Tott

Necromancer
Necromancer

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » November 30th, 2013, 3:03 am

I like them. My own opinion regarding the Sneak in Shadows card is moving invisible is enough. I'd remove the ability to not trigger traps. That is equivilent to granting a bonus search for traps action and allowing an automatic jump. If an Elf with this skill ends his move on a square containing a trap, then what do you do when another Hero passes through that square?

I'm in agreement with Tott that the Elf is a Wood Elf. The Elf Spell cards picture him in a forest. He hails from Athelorn, which is linguistically related to the Loren Forest realm of the Wood Elves in the Warhammer Old World. (Blood Bowl also has a Wood Elf team named the Athelorn Avengers.)

Still, there is plenty of room to allow an Elf with stealth skills. Another set of Wood Elf skills could be developed seperately by anyone who wished it.

chaoticprime wrote:I don't like these. Not sure why. Its not the quality. Maybe its because they're antithetical to my style of dominion. I intend to make some of these fur-real and test them out. I am setting up a weekly pick up game of HQ at a local gamestore starting tomorrow.

Don't forget GimmeYerGold said these power up cards are meant to be balanced with similar monster cards (and monsters defending with white shields). It will be harder for you to achieve your more competive game without the other mods. Still, go for it and see what happens. The more playtesting the cards get, the better.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby GimmeYerGold » December 3rd, 2013, 5:38 pm

Cool, thanks for the feedback! :) I removed the trap bonus. That would create some complicated situations...

Also, I've instated a rule where you may only select one "skill action" card at random per quest. As you complete more quests, you may select more, but always at random. This forces the players to work together more, as intended.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
GimmeYerGold

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Previous

Return to Cards