• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Evil Wizard Deck

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Evil Wizard Deck

Postby chaoticprime » October 11th, 2013, 9:54 pm

I made these cards to make Heroquest more fun. Mostly more fun for the Evil Wizard player, but also for masochistic heroes (the best kind). I will be releasing these a page at a time, as I finish designing and then making them.

I put some effort into giving the descriptions both the brevity and lingual-style used by the game system, but otherwise unequivocal demands required some changes to the style-guide. Inspiration for these was drawn from the Doom board-game, Descent and the similarly fan-bade and optional Hero and Evil Wizard Combat Card decks found hereabouts and elsewhere.

RULES for PLAY

> The Evil Wizard player begins each Quest by drawing three Evil Wizard cards at random.
> Played cards are discarded face-up in the Evil Wizard deck discard pile.
> The Evil Wizard may play as many cards on his, or the Heroes', turn if the requirements listed on the card are being met.
> At the start of his turn, the Evil Wizard player may draw one Evil Wizard card only if there are no revealed monsters on the board.
> If the player forgets to draw a card, he may not interrupt ongoing play to do so.
> Playing a card must occur exactly when its requirements are met. Once anything else has taken effect, the opportunity is lost.
> When the last card gets drawn from the Evil Wizard deck, shuffle the discard pile and start back at the top again.
> Interrupt Heroes' turns by saying, "However!"
> The Evil Wizard is obliged to read aloud the appropriate portion of each card. However, if a player requests more information, or to see the card itself, kill them.

CARD CLARIFICATIONS
> Any contextual reference pointing to Heroes also points to Men-at-Arms hired by the Heroes.
> If the requirements of a card describe any one Hero or monster, subsequent references of "the Hero" or "the Monster" refer to these specifically.
> Cards that play 'immediately' interpose between one event and another, and will describe that with "before, after or during."

Card Backs
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1tmtukqx1eju ... 20Back.pdf

Card Set I
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwsrfwjvajx48 ... ds%20I.pdf
They have been aligned so that they should print double-sided on 8.5" x 11" paper if you don't mess around with the alignment.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Evil Wizard Deck

Postby knightkrawler » October 12th, 2013, 8:22 am

Not bad at all. Keep at it.
I also thought about making a "hazard deck" very similar to the Descent Overlord-cards.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » October 12th, 2013, 11:05 am

Great cards, Chaotic Prime. I also have worked up such a deck with somewhat different rules, but I haven't gotten around to assembling the images and text in card format. This makes me want to have a go at it, because yours look great. I love Morcar on the card backs, and may need to steal this in some form. Is this okay with you if I give credit for the image?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » October 12th, 2013, 11:52 am

Daedalus wrote:Great cards, Chaotic Prime. I also have worked up such a deck with somewhat different rules, but I haven't gotten around to assembling the images and text in card format. This makes me want to have a go at it, because yours look great. I love Morcar on the card backs, and may need to steal this in some form. Is this okay with you if I give credit for the image?

By all means, please use them. I could have thought up better names for the cards, but I didn't.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby mako-heart » October 12th, 2013, 12:28 pm

Sweet job CP !! i really like the undead hero card that is a rad concept!! They are all masterfully done :D
ALL YOUR WALL SPELL BASES ARE BELONG TO US!!!

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
mako-heart

High Mage
High Mage

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby sajungzak » October 12th, 2013, 12:29 pm

These cards look great! I'd like to hear about a play test, though. Mainly to make sure Zargon isn't too powerful. Maybe they should be introduced partway through The Gathering Storm (or System Quests, Base Quests whatever you call it), after the Hero's have gotten a chance to gather some potions.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby knightkrawler » October 12th, 2013, 1:53 pm

sajungzak wrote:To make sure Zargon isn't too powerful.

... :? ... Explain.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » October 12th, 2013, 2:05 pm

These are great! I love them! I was also following the Hazard deck topic, and up until now I've always liked the idea of the evil player getting to draw a card when there are no monsters on the board, with good, bad or neutral results for the players, but this is also a very creative way to spice the game up.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby sajungzak » October 12th, 2013, 2:31 pm

I'm considering it for my novice group. I wouldn't want it to be too hard for the heroes when they are just starting out.
this is where I've been posting my painting progress so far:
http://www.facebook.com/zachary.lewis.96

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie!
sajungzak

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Beefcake » October 12th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Very cool. Not over-powered which is good but some of them become more difficult with the more difficult monsters you encounter

Rewards:
Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Beefcake

Forum Language: British English
Hero:

Next

Return to Cards