• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Evil Wizard Deck

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Re: Evil Wizard Deck

Postby torilen » June 7th, 2016, 9:30 am

Too bad we can't have moving pictures like in Harry Potter - that Let It Snow card would be the bomb.
That's my two cents after being awake for 30+ hours and having little connection with the forum
lately. I'm still here...really...just busy.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby The Admiral » January 10th, 2017, 10:32 am

I have really enjoyed using the EW cards, and they are a permanent fixture in my quests now. I have toned them down a bit though as to how many are drawn and can be kept in hand in relation to the size of the party. This is what I do:

At the start of each EW player turn the EW player draws a token for every Hero in play. If the EW player has 16 or more tokens he must exchange 16 tokens for 1 EW card. excess tokens are retained. The maximum number of cards the EW player may hold at any time is equal to the number of tokens he is drawing. So for example, if there are 4 heroes the EW player would draw 4 tokens per turn and would therefore get an EW card every fourth turn. The EW player could hold up to 4 cards in his/her hand. If the EW player has more cards than allowed, either from drawing or Heroes dying, then excess cards of his/her choice must be immediately discarded.

Henchmen count as Heroes for token drawing purposes as follows: 1-2 = None, 3-6 = 1, 7-10 = 2, 11-14 = 3 etc.

I find the EW cards really move the game along. There is now a real reason for trying to push on. Sure, you can still take your time and be more cautious if you like, but it will come at a price.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
The Admiral

Halberdier
Halberdier

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby cynthialee » January 10th, 2017, 1:49 pm

These various cards have really changed things. Players are far less likely to milk the clock and take their time. The cards have some really nasty surprises and the players want to finish the quest before I have a chance to really dig into the deck and save up some hum dingers for them.

{my favorite card is the New Spears card. All minions get diagonal attacks for the remainder of the quest.}
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
~Sun Tsu The art of War~

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
cynthialee

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Anderas » September 2nd, 2017, 6:09 am

cynthialee wrote:Had fun with my EWP cards yesterday.
Best moment was when I played a healing potion on a boss fight. Healed all the damage the dude took and the players gave a collective groan and the Barbarian was sure they were going to die.
Came within a point of killing him and the Dwarf that fight. Good times. The collective gasp and groan of the players was music to my ears. And when the boss died the cheer around the table was a genuine cheer of delight. Danger had been escaped.

To achieve a genuine cheer of delight is the best you can do as EWP! :)

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Postby Stoner81 » July 27th, 2018, 6:54 pm

Complete thread necro but I just wanted to say thank you to all who posted their ideas, I have pinched pretty much everything :D

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.

PS - Mine are not called Evil Wizard "cards" since I have no cards, instead they are in a table called "A Simple Series of Unfortunate Events" :D
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » July 30th, 2018, 2:37 pm

Stoner81 wrote:PS - Mine are not called Evil Wizard "cards" since I have no cards, instead they are in a table called "A Simple Series of Unfortunate Events" :D

Wait how do you play without the cards? If you've discussed this on a separate thread, could you drop me a link for it since I must've totally missed it :D
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Stoner81 » July 31st, 2018, 8:16 am

TMU wrote:
Stoner81 wrote:PS - Mine are not called Evil Wizard "cards" since I have no cards, instead they are in a table called "A Simple Series of Unfortunate Events" :D

Wait how do you play without the cards? If you've discussed this on a separate thread, could you drop me a link for it since I must've totally missed it :D

Pretty much everything is in a table of some sort which can be rolled on to generate a result. For everything else it gets written on the character sheet. I did it this way to save me printing everything which I don't have the means to do.

Check the link in my signature it contains my rule book and quest book using this system (still a work in progress).

|_P |_P |_P |_P

Stoner81.
Stoner81

Necromancer
Necromancer

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby TMU » July 31st, 2018, 8:32 am

I see, I'll have a look into it. Thanks! |_P
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Maalicia_Ironhoof » May 23rd, 2023, 6:52 am

Digging up this oldie! Does anyone know the sources for the images used in these - particularly what became Sjeng's evil wizard deck? I'm doing a remastered vector based deck and am not having the greatest time fixing these old blurry images up :/
Last edited by Maalicia_Ironhoof on May 24th, 2023, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradley Boruch / Maalicia Ironhoof (Previously Cyber333)
Fixing Avalon Hill's Rules and Quest Books by Maalicia Ironhoof
Maalicia_Ironhoof

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:

Postby Kurgan » May 23rd, 2023, 7:29 pm

torilen wrote:Too bad we can't have moving pictures like in Harry Potter - that Let It Snow card would be the bomb.
That's my two cents after being awake for 30+ hours and having little connection with the forum
lately. I'm still here...really...just busy.

Such a thing does at last exist... at least MakePlayingCards.com has "Lenticular" poker cards template you can use to make your own cards... that have a generic pattern on one side and the other is a laminated side with a scanline grid and it has two (or 3 I think) images, that are viewable as you tilt the card different degrees. They are a bit more expensive than other fancy playing cards...

Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie!
Channeler
Kurgan

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Scribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberChampion Group Member

PreviousNext