• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Spearman's Shield

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Spearman's Shield

Postby Templar » May 2nd, 2013, 10:09 am

New idea for a shield:
Spearmans shield.JPG

Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you have to ask, you're streets behind..." - Pierce Hawthorn

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Spearman's Shield

Postby Goblin-King » May 2nd, 2013, 1:29 pm

I like it. It adds a lot of strategy in how to avoid being caught in the range of a free attack.
The user becomes a very unattractive target for the monsters. Yet it doesn't become too overpowered as you have to use the spear to attack.

This is new content done right! It doesn't really scale up the game, but simply adds an interesting alternative to just pursuing the highest amount of attack dice. Well done.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » May 2nd, 2013, 1:51 pm

I second that.
Well done, not overpowered (only 2 AD), but a whole new strategic outlook...
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Templar » May 5th, 2013, 3:10 pm

Thanks guys |_P
Glad you liked it!

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange.
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 6th, 2013, 8:51 pm

Do you intend that the attack in Zargon's/Morcar's turn be an early attack or an extra attack? By this I mean will the wielder get an attack on his turn as well, or is his only attack moved forward to Zargon's/Morcar's turn?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » May 7th, 2013, 3:48 am

It's an additional attack. But a little clarification on the card would be in order.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Templar » May 7th, 2013, 7:06 am

How about this change:
Spearman's Shield wrote:...If you are also using a spear you may make a free close combat attack against a monster that, for the first time that round...

Rewards:
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » May 14th, 2013, 4:47 pm

That clears it up pretty well. I actually prefer the attack to only work against a monster that is specifically attacking the spear wielder. I wouldn't have the bonus attack trigger against a monster that moves in range of the spear but either attacks another Hero or simply doestn't make an aggressive move against the spear weilder. Attacking safely from a diagonal is enough of a benefit. Having a spearman's shield in this case doesn't justify an extra attack (for me) if the monster doesn't aggressively move at the spear wielder protected by the specialty shield. I think the spearman's shield then reverts to a basic shield in this case, allowing no special ability.

I would even prefer there wasn't a bonus attack. This feels overpowered to me (though the ability doesn't always function, which helps). Seeing as a skull is likely, and most monsters will only sometimes defend it, I think allowing the attack to go early like an ambush is already an effective benefit. A dead monster can't attack back, so this magnifies the usefulness of the defensive benefit significantly. I'm mainly thinking the 1 Body Point monsters here, but getting in an extra Body Point early can mean a kill against multiple BP monsters in the Hero's turn as well. I also think extra attacks could be abused with door-guarding. [edit] Playtesting would be more useful than my conjectures, however. I have been shown to miss the mark a bit in the past, and maybe I'm just getting reactionary.

For your consideration, here's a reworded alternative:

The Spearman's shield gives you
one extra combat die in defence.
If you are also using a spear and a
monster moves into an adjacent
square to attack you, you may use
your next action immediately to
attack it first.

Cost: 250 Gold Coins
May not be used by the Wizard.
Shield

I'm starting to think this weaker ability could work for the spear alone. I may have to steal it. :) [edit]
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Templar » May 15th, 2013, 5:05 pm

Daedalus wrote:I actually prefer the attack to only work against a monster that is specifically attacking the spear wielder...

...allowing the attack to go early like an ambush is already an effective benefit.

Good inputs. As long as it is some sort of counter-charge benefit, I will be happy with it. And as you say, playtesting is the only true way to find out what would work.
If I may misquote Richard Feynman: "Playtesting is the only true judge of game balance." (Real quote - Experiment is the sole judge of scientific truth.)
:ugeek: :mrgreen:
Daedalus wrote:I'm starting to think this weaker ability could work for the spear alone. I may have to steal it. :)

By all means :D

Rewards:
Templar

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » May 15th, 2013, 6:36 pm

These are also called teardrop or viking kite shields. They were usually made from wood and canvas, with a metal boss. Their height was mostly for catching arrows. The notch at the top was only fit on shields used for the joust, and makes not sense on this type of shield. A spearman's shield would be tall with a metal facade designed to turn away thrusts made against it, not trap them like a shield with a boss would do. A shield made for thrusting a spear through would look like this--http://www.medievalcollectibles.com/p-14991-trojan-war-shield.aspx
Last edited by chaoticprime on October 6th, 2013, 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: add URL link

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Next

Return to Cards