• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Treasure-Artifacts by Torilen - set 1

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

Treasure-Artifacts by Torilen - set 1

Postby torilen » May 31st, 2012, 4:40 pm

Here is a batch of 30 new cards - mixed treasure cards and artifact cards.
I stole an idea from the computer game Diablo. Let me know what you think
of the idea and the design. I can make a bunch more using the same design.

I actually designed a lot of these to negate the need for levels in the game. For those
players and evil wizards who enjoy the bare-bones game, the simplistic spirit of the game,
these items can help beef up the characters without the need of "classes and levels"

Included: Dragon Scale shields, some wands, some armbands for fighting characters,
a few rings, and some holy symbols. The treasures are the cards with prices on them,
in case you want to allow them as purchasable equipment, or in case the heroes want
to sell them (typically at 1/2 the cost, right?)

If anyone makes use of carrying capacity - you know, you don't want the heroes lugging
a whole mess of stuff through the dungeon - I can make some cards for travel packs. I
was going to - but didn't know how many people would use them, so I opted not to for now.

There will be more to come anyhow. I've been coming up with some GREAT treasure
and artifact cards the last couple of days. Just takes a little time to make them.

Enjoy.

UPDATE: As of 6-1-2012 - you'll notice in a few posts down, there were a lot of issues with
this set. I've taken it down to fix it...didn't want anyone else downloading it, only to have to
download it again later. Sorry all. It will be back up soon.

UPDATE: As of 6-4-2012 - I've placed the set back up on the inn. All revisions have been made,
and hopefully there will be little confusion about the use of any of the items now.

UPDATE: As of 2-24-2013 - I actually DID post a revised edition of these cards. Sorry to those who had
downloaded it before, and to those who had downloaded what was thought to be revised. I really did fix
the issues...guess I just didn't upload the new version. BUT HERE IT IS...enjoy.

treasures-artifacts set 1.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by torilen on February 24th, 2013, 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Treasure-Artifacts by Torilen - set 1

Postby Maike05 » May 31st, 2012, 6:24 pm

Hello Torilen,

again you strike with another great expansion !

I've seen there isn't any illustration on the cards, do you need the community to provide it for you ?
In this case, I would suggest you to create a list of these new items so that people could easily check and send a good picture :)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Maike05

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby torilen » May 31st, 2012, 6:53 pm

Yes, if other members on here would like to provide pics - that would be great.
Only problem is this: I make all of my materials using MS Powerpoint - I don't
have any sort of publishing or art programs.
I tried putting a picture in earlier, and couldn't make it fit right. I could try it
again...maybe something from here might fit better...the picture I tried was
just a picture downloaded from a google search.

thanks for the suggestion, though...I'll put a list together and put up on the
artchive request thread.

Glad you like it.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » June 1st, 2012, 3:39 pm

The Ruby Gemstone seems priced about right, but not against the potion prices of the Alchemist's Shop. I'd say the Alchemist's Shop potions are overpriced until waaay later, so you're making reliable healing available earlier. My opinion is that is probably a good thing. I'd keep the healing at 4 Body Points to match current healing spells, but ymmv.

The Diamond Gemstone may be used to ressurect a Hero within 3 turns of death. Is each turn counted as a player's turn, including the Evil Wizard (Zargon) as a player? Or do you mean within three rounds of a Hero's death where all five players each take a turn every round? As worded, I figure it must be the first case. If you want the second case to govern the spell, I'd reword it to, "The attempt must be made within the dead Hero's next three turns." Using this timing, I'd personally prefer this lesser Diamond Gemstone version of resurrection to only be allowed before the dead Hero's next turn. The Stone Cross would extend this to the dead Hero's next turn, and so on.

Are the gemstones in the Holy Symbols replacable? If they are, I'd bump up the costs of them, as they would give benefits that can be reused indefinitely. Just looking at one ability of the Stone Holy Symbol, three uses of the increased healing equal the same Body Points of a Ruby Gemstone, yet the Holy Symbol is only 50 gold more. Consider stepping up the cost of each improved Holy Symbol, perhaps by 200 gold coins between Holy Symbols (i.e. wood 200, stone 400, silver 600, gold 800). If gemstones may not be replaced in a Holy Symbol slot, then I'd make each Holy Symbol cost 100 gold coin more than it's lesser version (i.e. wood 200, stone 300, silver 400, gold 500).

By the way, mining the new Diablo game is a great idea...nice job. The artifacts seem pretty balanced. I like the way the "turn" affect works. I imagine it is a one-time effect--I'd include something that states that on the card.

There's a lot more to cover, but I'm tired. Anyway, I hope some of my suggestions help out.
Last edited by Daedalus on June 1st, 2012, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby torilen » June 1st, 2012, 4:22 pm

By turn, I mean that ALL players and Zargon take a turn - I guess I should change that to rounds in the future.
Example:
round 1
hero 1: turn
hero 2: turn
hero 3: turn
hero 4: turn
zargon: turn (hero 1 dies)
round 2 - start 3 turns...should be rounds...
hero 1: dead
hero 2: turn
and so on....

okay - writing it out like that, it should say rounds.
I'll fix that on future works. Thanks.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » June 1st, 2012, 5:14 pm

I edited my last post with new stuff, but not before your last reply.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby torilen » June 1st, 2012, 5:53 pm

Guess I didn't write the descriptions clear enough - I'll fix them, hopefully before anyone actually prints these
things off. And I'll have to check my other set, too.

First - the powers from the gems are usable each quest, up to the maximum described on the card for that gem.
Second - the holy symbol has to have gems in it to do anything...I figured that would be clear by saying that the
gem must be used with a holy symbol, and the the better holy symbols change the statistics for the gems.

SO - in order to use a ruby gem, you have to buy/find a minimum of a ruby gem and a wooden holy symbol.
If buying them, you're looking at 450 gold. However, once you have it, you can heal 6 Body Points every quest,
as long as you still have the holy symbol.
If you have a stone holy symbol, you can heal 8 Body Points, but it will cost a total of 550 gold to get both the
symbol and the gem.

As for turning being a once-per-quest use, I don't know. I hadn't designed it that way at first, but it would make
sense. The sapphire and diamond gems are not one-time-use-per-quest items, but consecrate is limited by the
number of turns it lasts. I need to change the resurrect power to say that, if the attempt fails, it cannot be
attempted on the same target again.

Again, thanks for the pointers - nice catches on all this stuff. I'll try to have them fixed and reposted by the end
of the weekend.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby torilen » June 4th, 2012, 1:43 pm

Revisions have been made - the download is placed back up.
Enjoy. Many more are to follow.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » July 17th, 2012, 4:42 pm

I like your dragon scale shields, but they are all made from a RED dragon in the text. I think you forgot to change that bit ;)
Some nice ideas in there, although I think those gemstones can get a bit overpowered. Nice work though, would like to see them with images :)
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby torilen » July 19th, 2012, 8:48 am

You know - I would have sworn up and down that I had fixed that. I really remember fixing that.
Thanks though - I'll take care of it and repost for anyone who wants "good" copies.

Glad you like them, though.

Should have a new pack out soon - rune stones that allow for psionic-type abilities.

Rewards:
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:

Next

Return to Cards