• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

DONE - European (UK/Australian) versions of Artifact cards

Discuss card making and cards you have made.

DONE - European (UK/Australian) versions of Artifact cards

Postby Zenithfleet » Friday March 16th, 2012 8:36am

UPDATE #3 (14 July): Oops - all this time and I forgot to mention that these cards are now also hosted on the Olde Inn courtesy of drathe. (In ready-to-print PDF format, too!) drathe also made a small but perfectly formed tweak to the Cursed Spell Ring art. ;)

UPDATE #2 (19 March): They're done! The unique Artifact cards from the North American Game System, Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord are now available in EU format and ruleset. Right here in this thread folks. Roll up! :D

...well, almost all of them. I skipped the Dust of Disappearance, Anti-Poison Quill, and the Wizard's Cloak and Staff, as I don't think we need them. (I've got my eye on their art to make other things, though...)

Two packs available for download. Contents:

EU Quest Treasures
7 North American Artifacts now all prettied up into EU Quest Treasures:
-Spell Ring
-Ring of Return
-Fire Ring
-Armband of Healing
-Rabbit Boots
-Magical Throwing Dagger
-Elixir of Life
12 EU format Spell Scrolls (one for each spell in the HeroQuest basic game - phew!)
1 EU card back

EU Quest Treasure Bonus Pack 1
1 bonus Quest Treasure (Artifact): Cursed Spell Ring (developed for a fan quest pack, but you might find it useful)
1 Mystic Portal Spell Scroll - handy if your campaign doesn't allow you to visit town and buy equipment between Quests
7 Chaos Spell Scrolls - based on my EU Chaos Spell adaptations available elsewhere. Let your Heroes try out something evil for once! Be warned, each spell costs 1 Mind point to use... 'cos they're eeeeevil!
1 EU card back

Sample images:

EU-ZF-QT-Sample.jpg

EU-ZF-QT-Bonus-1-Sample.jpg

Props, gliders and miscellaneous zeppelins to drathe for his all-singing, all-dancing, life-saving EU Card Templates and art collections, allowing me to realise my long-held dream of killing all humans. Er... I mean, making EU versions of
North American goodies. ;)

Edit: Updated the zip files to version 2. The Magical Dagger's text has been revised so that the victim gets a chance to dodge (otherwise it would insta-kill practically any boss in the 1BP EU game). Also, I added the 'Command' Chaos Spell Scroll to the bonus pack--apparently I forgot to include it in version 1...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Zenithfleet on Saturday July 14th, 2012 10:55am, edited 9 times in total.
Zenithfleet

Mummy
Mummy

Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: European (UK/Australian) Spell Ring item cards

Postby Nerrad72 » Friday March 16th, 2012 9:24am

how about EU version artifact cards?? Perhaps mod the NA cloak and Staff artifact cards to EU cloak and staff artifact cards. I'm imagining a magical version of the cloak and the staff the wizard can normally buy from the armourary
Nerrad72

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: European (UK/Australian) Spell Ring item cards

Postby Zenithfleet » Saturday March 17th, 2012 3:31am

how about EU version artifact cards?? Perhaps mod the NA cloak and Staff artifact cards to EU cloak and staff artifact cards. I'm imagining a magical version of the cloak and the staff the wizard can normally buy from the armourary

I'm actually working on the Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord Artifacts right now, although I won't bother with a couple of them (like the Dust of Disappearance, which looks like it could just be replaced with a Veil of Mist Spell Scroll).

So far I've done the Magical Dagger, Armband of Healing, Fire Ring (which now also protects you in hot zones like the Dwarven Forge), Wabbit Season Boots and generic templates for the Spell Scroll. I haven't quite worked out whether I should put the full spell description on each Scroll--it'll be hard to fit it on with all the other stuff about it crumbling to dust once used.

As a little extra, I've made a Chaos Spell Scroll template that gives Heroes the chance to use an evil spell at the cost of 1 Mind Point.

I hadn't thought of doing the two Wizard's Artifacts from the Game System though. I just assumed we didn't need them since we can buy equivalent equipment... but you're right, souped-up magical versions would be nifty. I shall ponder this.

I'm not sure whether to bother with the Ring of Return or the Elixir of Life. The Elixir would be great for EU because (at least as I read the rules) people die the moment they reach 0 Body points, rather than being allowed to drink a potion on that turn as in the NA version. However, it's a potion, and I feel silly making cards for potions. And the Ring of Return... I don't know, it just fails to catch my interest. Would hardly take five minutes to make though--convince me! ;)

UPDATE: OK, I've done the Elixir of Life too. The catch is, you can't use it on yourself if you die. You can only use it on another dead Hero. So if you were carrying it when you died, and a monster nicks your loot before your mates can get to you, too bad! :D

On the other hand, the Armband of Healing does bring you back if you die (but only with 2 Body points).
Zenithfleet

Mummy
Mummy

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: European (UK/Australian) versions of Artifact cards

Postby drathe » Saturday March 17th, 2012 12:29pm

In your competitive EU version, you might want to make a Dust of Disappearance, allowing Heroes to pass through each other as well. The Ring of Return could be used in a competitive manner too. If you only allow one Hero to get the prize for completing the quest, you could make it a competition for whomever reaches the start first. The Ring could be used by a Hero after everyone else leaves the room to head back to zip to the beginning and get the prize.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » Saturday March 17th, 2012 3:35pm

cool, more cards to use in my EU game. Looking forward tot he final results :)

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Zenithfleet » Sunday March 18th, 2012 4:22am

drathe wrote:In your competitive EU version, you might want to make a Dust of Disappearance, allowing Heroes to pass through each other as well. The Ring of Return could be used in a competitive manner too. If you only allow one Hero to get the prize for completing the quest, you could make it a competition for whomever reaches the start first. The Ring could be used by a Hero after everyone else leaves the room to head back to zip to the beginning and get the prize.

Well, it's not always competitive. :) I don't actually try to encourage it or anything. Usually I don't have to. ;) But they do often cooperate as well. I was just struck by the fact that NA edition tends to channel players down the teamwork path more (otherwise I expect they'd die fast). In EU it's more or less up to the players to decide. But by the time Kellar's Keep rolls around and the board gets crowded with monsters, there's usually a lot less animosity... so I guess EU encourages teamwork too, just a fair bit later on. Fortunately not until after Bastion of Chaos. Bounty-hunting always causes dissent in the ranks. :lol:

Anyway--as far as I can tell, the Dust still wouldn't be any different to a Veil spell scroll, since Veil lets you move through players and monsters in the EU edition.

Good point about the Ring though. I'll see about making one of those. (It'd be welcome in Castle of Mystery, come to think of it.)
Zenithfleet

Mummy
Mummy

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: DONE - European (UK/Australian) versions of Artifact car

Postby Nerrad72 » Monday March 19th, 2012 7:29am

just finished printing and gluing mine. Really impressive and appreciated work. Thanks.

I have some pieces from my 'WH40:Dark Millienium' box set which I've been planning to use as a portal/gateway of some sort. Now I have a spell scroll for it :D
Nerrad72

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Zenithfleet » Monday March 19th, 2012 9:57am

Nerrad72 wrote:just finished printing and gluing mine. Really impressive and appreciated work. Thanks.

I have some pieces from my 'WH40:Dark Millienium' box set which I've been planning to use as a portal/gateway of some sort. Now I have a spell scroll for it :D

Thanks mate :D

Let me know if you spot any typos or dodgy rules. I've had no opportunity to playtest these with anyone yet, so I'm not sure if my tweaks are appropriate...

Do you mean the blue webway portal stand thingie? I have one of those too! Yeesh, that takes me back... bought that box when I first started 40K and never used a darn thing in it 'cos they switched editions a couple of months later :roll:

Not sure why you need it if the scroll only works between Quests. Are you thinking of using it in the middle of a Quest as well? (like the Diablo town portal scrolls?)
Zenithfleet

Mummy
Mummy

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Nerrad72 » Monday March 19th, 2012 10:17am

Yeah I was thinking in the middle of the quest. I only let me heros carry a main weapon, 2ndary weapon and sidearm (which is normaly a dagger). Often they have to leave duplicate weapons in the dungeon as they cant carry them all. So a middle quest portal would let them sell that and get some money. The benefit of spending treasure during a quest could be a life saver when a group of hero's have poorly prepared themselves for the coming quest.

I also let heros store weapons outside of the dungeon, so a portal to allow a hero to 'pop back home' and collect the Orc's Bane, if the quest is starting to look Orc heavy, is another use I see.

I think I'd only slip it into a quest if the Heros are doing really bad.

Yes! Thats the one. The same thing happened to me, I had about a year of envy from my friends until the change, then it just a folly and a butt of many jokes. That was the day I started to think twice about the GW and the hobby
Nerrad72

Chaos Warrior
Chaos Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » Wednesday July 11th, 2012 3:28pm

Zenithfleet: your card remakes are great, I'm currently making cards for future use.
I've also added some extra covers, and I will add some more stuff too, in here.

RPG Gateway Die Roller's 100

Uncle Zargon
Wants YOU!

HeroQuest YeOldeInn

Image Image Image Image

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Return to Cards