• Advertisement

Other Board Games??

Guests may gather here for General Discussions about almost any Topic. NO BRAWLING!
Forum rules
Certain topics have become known to cause friction among passionate members. We kindly ask that topics relating to these subjects be taken outside the Inn to Websites that specialise in those subjects.

Thus far, these topics are: Recreational Drugs, Religion and Science.

Re: Other Board Games??

Postby Pancho » Thursday May 31st, 2018 8:05am

Anderas wrote:Different.
If you like bashing monsters...

I love storylines. Random has by definition no good storyline.

I would say it is better than a badly written quest but a lot less good than a good written quest.

Thanks for the summary. Storylines are very important for me too.
I've never fully realised it before now, but the stories that Heroquest provide is probably the single most important factor in how I love the game so much.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wednesday April 12th, 2017 10:43am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Other Board Games??

Postby knightkrawler » Thursday May 31st, 2018 8:15am

Pancho wrote:
Anderas wrote:Different.
If you like bashing monsters...

I love storylines. Random has by definition no good storyline.

I would say it is better than a badly written quest but a lot less good than a good written quest.

Thanks for the summary. Storylines are very important for me too.
I've never fully realised it before now, but the stories that Heroquest provide is probably the single most important factor in how I love the game so much.


Everybody and all their nieces could write a dungeon game based on coincidence, methinks.
I've always embraced all the roles the EWP has to play.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord
 
Posts: 5727
Images: 27
Joined: Friday May 25th, 2012 2:26pm
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Other Board Games??

Postby mitchiemasha » Thursday May 31st, 2018 10:15am

Pancho wrote:Meanwhile house Stark become really strong in the north and it became obvious that he was going to win if not stopped. Instead of stopping Stark the other players became fixated on Kings Landing and me, meaning that I had to face Stark alone, with all the other Houses attacking me too and rolling over for the Stark player.

Your early aggression was not favoured by the world and you became the villain. The rest were happy to serve under their new king, the king of the north.


Rewards:
Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Prince
mitchiemasha

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1135
Joined: Thursday August 14th, 2014 2:05am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Other Board Games??

Postby Pancho » Thursday May 31st, 2018 3:17pm

mitchiemasha wrote:
Pancho wrote:Meanwhile house Stark become really strong in the north and it became obvious that he was going to win if not stopped. Instead of stopping Stark the other players became fixated on Kings Landing and me, meaning that I had to face Stark alone, with all the other Houses attacking me too and rolling over for the Stark player.

Your early aggression was not favoured by the world and you became the villain. The rest were happy to serve under their new king, the king of the north.

I should have played how Arryn actually goes about its business in the show; stay out of trouble, build up safe and secure in the Eyrie, then use the knights of the vale to crush enemies late on.
Alas, I am more Robb Stark than I am Littlefinger. Patience never has been my strong point.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wednesday April 12th, 2017 10:43am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Other Board Games??

Postby TMU » Thursday May 31st, 2018 5:06pm

Monopoly
Card games
Kimble
Games testing how well you know the other players, the one I am mostly referring to is called skeletons out of the closet, dunno if it is in any other language than Finnish :D

These are played most often by me.
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."


Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman
 
Posts: 1864
Images: 15
Joined: Saturday November 17th, 2012 2:55pm
Location: Rauma, Finland
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Re: Other Board Games??

Postby Daedalus » Friday June 1st, 2018 4:51pm

Legend of Drizzt, Dead of Winter, and X-wing (previously) with friends.
Forbidden Island, A Touch of Evil, and Mice and Mystics with family.
..
UNCLE ZARGON
Image
WANTS.. YOU


Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Slacker Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard
 
Posts: 3490
Images: 14
Joined: Monday May 9th, 2011 2:31pm
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Other Board Games??

Postby j_dean80 » Friday June 1st, 2018 6:55pm

Pancho wrote:Mitchie, we have similar tastes by the look of it. As well as Heroquest and Space Hulk, I regularly play Axis & Allies and Game of Thrones the boardgame (actually home-made variants of both of these).
We used to love Risk and that game is what started the move to more involved global conquest type games. Usually we build them ourselves to suit are particular nerd tastes.

I'm currently working on something slightly different; players take the role of a present day superpower and have to become the dominant force but at the same time not completely destroy the planet. I've had a lot of fun trying to model all the chaos of the modern world, complete with financial crashes, natural disasters, conflict zones, shock elections & referendums, terrorism & false flag operations, globalists trying to remove elected leaders and so on. About to embark on the play-testing phase soon.

I would thoroughly recommend Game of Thrones the boardgame, especially to people who like the cutthroat politics and general flavour of the TV series. Really requires 6 people though to make it truly epic.


I've always had a game idea in my head but never ran with it. It is based on trade routes and hazards (example - attacking pirates) in the Caribbean colonial times.
Blood - Good to the last drop


Rewards:
Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Grin's Stone Map Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
j_dean80

Scout
Scout
 
Posts: 1097
Images: 29
Joined: Tuesday December 6th, 2016 2:48pm
Location: Illinois, USA
Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Other Board Games??

Postby Pancho » Saturday June 2nd, 2018 1:06am

j_dean80 wrote:
Pancho wrote:Mitchie, we have similar tastes by the look of it. As well as Heroquest and Space Hulk, I regularly play Axis & Allies and Game of Thrones the boardgame (actually home-made variants of both of these).
We used to love Risk and that game is what started the move to more involved global conquest type games. Usually we build them ourselves to suit are particular nerd tastes.

I'm currently working on something slightly different; players take the role of a present day superpower and have to become the dominant force but at the same time not completely destroy the planet. I've had a lot of fun trying to model all the chaos of the modern world, complete with financial crashes, natural disasters, conflict zones, shock elections & referendums, terrorism & false flag operations, globalists trying to remove elected leaders and so on. About to embark on the play-testing phase soon.

I would thoroughly recommend Game of Thrones the boardgame, especially to people who like the cutthroat politics and general flavour of the TV series. Really requires 6 people though to make it truly epic.


I've always had a game idea in my head but never ran with it. It is based on trade routes and hazards (example - attacking pirates) in the Caribbean colonial times.

Sounds interesting, you should get the concept down on paper and see where it goes from there.
There is a game called 'Letters of Marque' which (I think) has players trying to avoid pirates along trade routes. I've never played it, I just saw a copy recently at a tabletop sell and almost bought it just for the the ship models inside, but there weren't enough for my plans. There seems to be a lot of US ebay sellers of it, if you fancy grabbing one.
Pancho
Rock Skin Achieved

Ogre Lord
Ogre Lord
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wednesday April 12th, 2017 10:43am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Re: Other Board Games??

Postby Sotiris » Saturday June 2nd, 2018 2:31am

1. Dominant Species
2. Catan
3. Ticket to Ride
4. 7 Wonders


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Sotiris

Necromancer
Necromancer
 
Posts: 321
Images: 14
Joined: Sunday November 10th, 2013 3:23am
Location: Athens, Greece
Forum Language: Ελληνικά
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Re: Other Board Games??

Postby Anderas » Saturday June 2nd, 2018 5:58am

Woa catan!

Must have been ages since I played that one.


Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
User avatar
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin
 
Posts: 2281
Images: 44
Joined: Saturday September 20th, 2014 7:02am
Forum Language: British English
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Ye Olde Pub

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 2 guests