Page 4 of 241

Re: What are you working on today?

PostPosted: Thursday January 3rd, 2013 9:51am
by Goblin-King
Thanks! It's the cover for an e-book. I'm not sure where the author is gonna sell it from.
I think the title is The "Lost Magic - Rise of the Tempest".

The beholder moves it's fake limbs with magic, so I'm gonna paint some "magic sparkles" coming out of the boots.
Maybe I'm gonna paint a couple of stalks peeking out from under the kilt like on the sketch.

Re: What are you working on today?

PostPosted: Thursday January 3rd, 2013 11:40am
by Sjeng
Goblin-King wrote:The beholder moves it's fake limbs with magic, so I'm gonna paint some "magic sparkles" coming out of the boots.
Maybe I'm gonna paint a couple of stalks peeking out from under the kilt like on the sketch.

Yeah, you should, make it more clear it's a beholder :)

Here's some shots of my work in progress:

chaos-warriors-wip1.jpg

(with a little teaser for my next minis: 2 orc crossbowmen and a skeleton from dragonstrike)
I've tried the wet-palette thing, and it's wonderful!! Just take a plastic tray (mine was used for packing meat from the supermarket), a cheap sponge and some baking paper. Paint stays moist almost 24 hours!
Also some reference pictures. Some of you might recognize their own work :)

chaos-warriors-wip2.jpg


Looking at my minis in real life, they look good so far, but a close up shot from my canon camera is horrible!!! sloppy lines :zombie:
But we'll see how they will turn out in the end :)

Re: What are you working on today?

PostPosted: Thursday January 3rd, 2013 12:37pm
by knightkrawler
@Goblin_King:
I'm SO glad that wasn't your brilliant post you spent an hour writing just to be swallowed by the forum breakdown...
Brilliant! Beholder in disguise!
|_P

Re: What are you working on today?

PostPosted: Thursday January 3rd, 2013 12:39pm
by Patroclus
Goblin-King wrote:Thanks! It's the cover for an e-book. I'm not sure where the author is gonna sell it from.
I think the title is The "Lost Magic - Rise of the Tempest".

The beholder moves it's fake limbs with magic, so I'm gonna paint some "magic sparkles" coming out of the boots.
Maybe I'm gonna paint a couple of stalks peeking out from under the kilt like on the sketch.

Is this watercolor or acrylic paint? Very nice paint job... also the sketch is very funny! :D

Re: What are you working on today?

PostPosted: Thursday January 3rd, 2013 12:47pm
by Goblin-King
Patroclus wrote:Is this watercolor or acrylic paint? Very nice paint job... also the sketch is very funny! :D

It's acrylic, but I use some watercolor techniques. It gives a nice base.

Re: What are you working on today?

PostPosted: Thursday January 3rd, 2013 1:38pm
by el_flesh
OK guys - this talk of a beholder got me to thinking. I can make one from the styro balls I'd got to use as moons for FASA Star Trek. cutting out the mouth and making it look non-styrofoamy will be the hard part....

Re: What are you working on today?

PostPosted: Thursday January 3rd, 2013 6:12pm
by Spiky
@ Sjeng - that's a very smart painting area you have there!

Nice painting Goblin-king!

Re: What are you working on today?

PostPosted: Saturday January 5th, 2013 11:23am
by Sjeng
Spiky wrote:@ Sjeng - that's a very smart painting area you have there!

Thanks! Well, my 4 chaos warriors are done, very colourful. I just need to decide if I should apply some QuickShade with a brush on the recesses for more depth. It also puts a protective layer on the paint.
Then I need to varnish them with matt varnish spray. Oh, and I need to paint the base edges black again (always forget that). But here they are, fully painted:

Image

Image

What do you think? More shading? :chaoswarrior:

Re: What are you working on today?

PostPosted: Saturday January 5th, 2013 11:48am
by TMU
I'd go with more shading, their little bit too light :)

Re: What are you working on today?

PostPosted: Saturday January 5th, 2013 11:51am
by Goblin-King
Those look great Sjeng! A little more shading wouldn't hurt.
The horns are a bit too pale in my opinion. Start with a light brown near the helmet and blend to white.

But all in all fully acceptable as is :)

Here is an updated WIP of the painting:
Image