• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

In the night season (solo) adventure game in F of F

Discuss HeroQuest: The Fellowship of Four, the first HeroQuest novel by Dave Morris.

In the night season (solo) adventure game in F of F

Postby Cael Darkhollow » November 9th, 2017, 2:25 am

The last 88 pages or so of The Fellowship of the Four HeroQuest novel by Dave Morris 1991 by Corgi Books contains a "HEROQUEST ADVENTURE GAME" titled: In The Night Season.
It is a solo play game story where you control all four characters, dwarf :dwarf: elf :elf: wizard :wizard: and barbarian :barbarian:
It is a branching choice story where you decide which page to turn to based on choices presented in-story similar to Choose Your Own Adventure, Endless Quest, Wizards Warriors and You, Which Way Books, Twistaplot, Pick A Path, Fantasy Forest, Zork,etc. but with an in game combat system similar to Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Adventure Gamebooks or the Lone Wolf game books. The Heroquest spells are there but the game stats have combat and speed added to mind and body. You can also parry or flee. Encumberance and battle order are important as well.

The basic plot is ( mild spoilers) you are at an inn on Samhain Eve in the countryside of Knochlor beyond Blackfire Pass when a villager tells of a missing girl likely spirited away by a vampire named Grim Dugald. You get a few options of the route to his haunted manse and prepare to rescue the maiden or sell your lives dearly in the attempt. Most of the narrative is circular, railroading you to the correct sequence of events, but there are a few instant death to one or more party members passages you could end up reading or you could die in combat. Not a bad read overall likely intended for early middle school age young teens or precocious elementary readers.

It did introduce a few monsters such as:
Banshees
Barrow dwellers (wights)
Undead brides (vampires)
Bats
Ghosts
Mirror demon
Trow
Spriggan
And a magical weapon the sword wraithreaver
the witchlord is mentioned but not present in the story.

The Fellowship of the Four was an entertaining read (113pages) where the wizard Fortunato must follow his missing mentor's quest to destroy an evil that threatens the world. Naturally he meets the elf Eildonas, the barbarian Asgrim, and the Dwarf Anvil to help him. After a journey they begin a dungeon crawl to learn the fate of the missing archimage and defeat the evil.

I had never heard of the books as I live in the United States so did not get them until recently on eBay. they are a most welcome addition to my HeroQuest collection.
Last edited by Cael Darkhollow on November 9th, 2017, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Crom I'll split you crown to crotch to see if your guts are yellow as I think they are nithing BARBARIAN Ulrich
The last music you shall ever hear will be my bowstring as your forehead sprouts a feathered shaft, pity ELF Cael Darkhollow
Tomes grimoires manuals atlas formularies compendiums codexes bestiaries folios scrolls... Am I missing anything before we leave? WIZARD Eldritch Heironymous KigamMagister
Some quick axe work an' we can count the coins and gems DWARF Wulfram Magnussen
Cael Darkhollow

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: In the night season (solo) adventure game in F of F

Postby knightkrawler » November 9th, 2017, 10:26 am

Welcome on board. |_P
I love posts like this, and it was your first no less.
That being said, we should have review threads for every piece of HQ merch...
This is a prime example of what I mean.
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby torilen » November 9th, 2017, 12:43 pm

I've seen folks talk about the books a bit, but I had no idea there was an adventure and new monsters.
Very cool. Thanks!

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic.
torilen

Ice Gremlin
Ice Gremlin

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Daedalus » January 23rd, 2018, 9:35 pm

You can now download the books, adventures, monsters, and all! Check the stickied topic.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby wallydubbs » March 5th, 2019, 2:27 pm

I was really surprised that they incorporated Samhein's Eve, as this was a ghostly Adventure it fits well with the Halloween Theme and its precursor.

I'm pretty sure there were other subtle implements Morris made, but I can't really think of them right now.

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member
wallydubbs

Halberdier
Halberdier

Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberChampion Group Member

Return to Novel: The Fellowship of Four