• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Has anyone played Battlemasters?

Topics related to Battle Masters

Re: Has anyone played Battlemasters?

Postby Von Necron » September 13th, 2012, 7:39 am

I re purchased the game a year ago to conscript in my HQ/Warhammer sets. When the game came out my buddie and I both had a game set. We would play with both sets figures on one board. It was probably over crowded. Good memories. Try it out but you'll probably opt to conscript them. And even if you put bases on them you can always put them back on their movement trays and play BM if you want.
Von Necron

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Ethica » September 13th, 2012, 1:58 pm

I've incorporated some into HQ, just trying to paint them now. They're not quite as good as HQ and I seem to lack inspiration lately.
Here is a craply painted chaos warrior, I can't put my finger on whats wrong with the colour scheme, he doesn't look quite right :?
Chaos Warlord.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby knightkrawler » September 13th, 2012, 2:09 pm

There's nothing wrong with the color scheme, I think.
You could try to darken the green, especially on his armor. More black than green.
But it occurs to me the lighting in the picture might put me on the wrong path here.
Anyway, the mini looks much better than I thought the sculpt would allow.
For that, kudos!
HQ - Heroes & Villains (Dropbox-download link) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jgj0kzsys9w38oh/AAA_VEHx6vMv4HKRX7IiOWTFa?dl=0
Feedback http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=3560
Gallery http://forum.yeoldeinn.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1972&hilit=knightkrawler+gallery&start=200
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found a way of paying off old debts:
Always make more promises than you can break.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Cheese Baron
knightkrawler
The Furry Blue Derailer

Witch Lord
Witch Lord

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » September 13th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Should that weapon be considered a Halberd, Battle Axe, or something more like a Great Axe (Double-handed Axe)? Seeing as the Chaos Warrior sports a Shield, I'd rule out a Battle Axe or Great Axe. That leaves a ridiculous-looking Halberd. Advanced Heroquest also allowed a Halberd and Shield for the Men-At-Arms.

I much prefer the Hero Quest Halberdier using both hands to weild the large weapon. I like the idea of using Battlemasters figures, but the Shield and Great Axe combo is a peve of mine. Never liked it...no sir, not one bit.

It's probably more trouble than it's worth, but maybe the fig could be modded. The Shield isn't coming off, so maybe pare the weapon down. A Spear is do-able, but that's a weak weapon for a Chaos Warrior. Perhaps a Braodsword swap would look cooler, but you'd need the bits.

I think house ruling the figure would be easiest. While wielding the Great Axe with the Shield, the CW only uses 3 Attack Dice. If the Shield wasn't used, then 4 or even 5 Attack Dice would do. This would definitely be an elite.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Von Necron » September 13th, 2012, 11:00 pm

Crazy! I just got around to painting my BM Chaos Warriors today. Still want to add some flock to the base and a design on the shields. I'll post pics when I'm done. Probably not till next week though.
Von Necron

Ogre Warrior
Ogre Warrior

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Ethica » September 14th, 2012, 5:51 am

Daedalus wrote:Should that weapon be considered a Halberd, Battle Axe, or something more like a Great Axe (Double-handed Axe)? Seeing as the Chaos Warrior sports a Shield, I'd rule out a Battle Axe or Great Axe. That leaves a ridiculous-looking Halberd. Advanced Heroquest also allowed a Halberd and Shield for the Men-At-Arms.

I much prefer the Hero Quest Halberdier using both hands to weild the large weapon. I like the idea of using Battlemasters figures, but the Shield and Great Axe combo is a peve of mine. Never liked it...no sir, not one bit.

It's probably more trouble than it's worth, but maybe the fig could be modded. The Shield isn't coming off, so maybe pare the weapon down. A Spear is do-able, but that's a weak weapon for a Chaos Warrior. Perhaps a Braodsword swap would look cooler, but you'd need the bits.

I think house ruling the figure would be easiest. While wielding the Great Axe with the Shield, the CW only uses 3 Attack Dice. If the Shield wasn't used, then 4 or even 5 Attack Dice would do. This would definitely be an elite.

Interesting thoughts. It doesn't make sense that he has a shield and a battle axe. Monster rolls aren't just based on what weapon they have, it's also the strength they have (mummy has no weapon). I like the idea of modding it though. Spear would good or sword. I'll have to see what I've got in my spares box.

As it is my stats would have been Attack 4 Defend 5.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
Ethica

Giant Wolf
Giant Wolf

Hero:
Usergroups:

Postby Daedalus » February 18th, 2013, 6:54 pm

Since I've worked out some HQ stats for the Battlemasters ogre in another thread, I'm reposting the relevant parts here.

Daedalus wrote:...I've come up with some alternate Ogre ideas that integrate the Ogres from AtOH and the EQP.

Ogre Thug ....... MS 4, AD 6, DD 4, BP 7*, MP 2 *The Ogre's BPs are reduced by 3 for an easier equivalent to the Ogre Chieftain.
Ogre Guard ...... MS 4, AD 6, DD 4, BP 10, MP 2 *This is the renamed Ogre of the EQP. The other ogres are based off of it.

Ogre Soldier ..... MS 4, AD 5*, DD 6, BP 5*, MP 1* *The AD, DD, and MPs are reduced by 1 and BPs by 5 for a weaker, armored ogre.
Ogre Captain .....MS 4, AD 6, DD 6*, BP 7*, MP 2 *The BPs are reduced by 3 to create an armored ogre that proxies for the Ogre.
Ogre Warlord .... MS 4, AD 6, DD 6*, BP 10, MP 2 *This armored ogre has 2 more DD than the Ogre.

...The Battle Masters Ogre can be used as a proxie for both the Ogre Chieftain and the Ogre Lord, as their better Attack Dice, Defend Dice, and Body Points suggest the larger, armored figure. The Ogre Soldier, Captain, and Warlord were all made with this figure in mind. However, even the Ogre Thug and Guard could use this figure because of the larger size which represents Body Points well....
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Jewels! » June 18th, 2013, 12:07 am

Battle Masters was my first experience with miniatures in a game. I got it for Christmas one year, stared quizzically at the box for a while, then opened it up to find a glorious assortment of little dudes and wolf riding goblins and cannons. It was incredible, spending hours putting together all the units, with their flags and banners and whatnot. They weren't painted or anything, but they were mine.

I didn't get to play the actual game all that much. I only had one friend who was interested, and his mom put a stop to that after a month saying it would attract demons or something. Then one day I came home from school to find my mom had thrown it away along with all my other board games because I "never played them." Things were never the same after that. :(

Then a few years later eBay came along... ;)

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Slain a measly Goblin! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Jewels!
A diamond in the rough

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby chaoticprime » June 18th, 2013, 12:34 am

Likewise with the TSR Battlesystem, here.

Regarding Battlemasters, I always played Chaos, because my egotistical friend who actually owned the game, always had to be the "heroic" iconoclast. I always figured he cheated to beat me every time, because the one time he played me in Chess I humiliated him. I never bothered learning the rules.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
chaoticprime
Practically Lives Here

Swordsman
Swordsman

Usergroups:

Postby Sjeng » June 18th, 2013, 12:57 am

Jewels wrote:his mom put a stop to that after a month saying it would attract demons or something. Then one day I came home from school to find my mom had thrown it away along with all my other board games because I "never played them."

oh, my Goddess, I HATE that. Demons? Really? And just throwing away stuff without asking the owner? Jezus people! That makes me so angry sometimes :(
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to Battle Masters Room