• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Q11 The Dark Castle Ambush by Anderas

Quests for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.
Forum rules
Please follow this format:

Post Subject: Q#. "Title" by "Author"

First Post: Map + Quest Notes

Following Posts: Public discussion.

Re: Q11 The Dark Castle Ambush by Anderas

Postby Anderas » October 18th, 2018, 9:08 am

Daedalus wrote:I for one like to see new Quests added to the project, every effort counts. When I saw the Wandering Monster entry, I liked the story feel even though a Minotaur ghost struck me as quirky. It's a threatening Wandering Monster, so I imagine there will be less treasure searches. Does that factor into your difficulty calculations, or is it not really necessary to add in?

The special Wandering Monster sparked an idea for me. A Kobold Trickster would also make a good Wandering Monster for the right Quest. The idea it's he would show up for a few turns to cause some mayhem and then escape. If he were defeated but not killed in an earlier Quest, a Kobold Trickster as recurring villain could be neatly pulled off this way.

Back to your Quest, the resetting spear traps are a nice feature. Why not place one in the bottom corridor (that can't be avoided) for the return trip?

As it's Quest 11, I think the Heroes are likely to be between 3 and 4 Attack Dice. Maybe just add 1 or 2 red Beastman. What do you think?

The top-right quadrant needs some attention: the bottom-right room lacks a door, while the bottom-left room has an extra.

What's the damage from the flame doorway?

Of the note contents found in the last room, I'd rank the Minotaur part least needed. A Wandering Monster may never be picked, and the Heroes can learn about its nature in the Quest anyway. I did have trouble with the key part. Where is it found (Quests and room)?

Yes, the wandering monsters factor in. I have three minotaurs in "wandering monster extra rooms".

Why not placing one for the return trip... well, I never think about return trips in my quests. I added a remark about that.
For the wall of flame, I added a note that it is not passable as long as it is there.

Rewards:
Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Anderas
NOT Andreas!

Polar Warbear
Polar Warbear

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Previous

Return to HQ25th Quests