• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Q2: "Chasing Glory" by TMU & MrBigB [SUPER EARLY VERSION]

Quests for the HeroQuest 25th Anniversary Quest Pack.
Forum rules
Please follow this format:

Post Subject: Q#. "Title" by "Author"

First Post: Map + Quest Notes

Following Posts: Public discussion.

Re: Q2: "Chasing Glory" by TMU & MrBigB [SUPER EARLY VERSION

Postby gootchute » July 23rd, 2014, 10:56 pm

I'm actually more concerned about the heroes being able to make it to the center room this early with all those monsters...

You should replace the basilisk special rule (whatever it may end up being) with one which simply makes an attack from one automatically turn them to stone. (or do the narrated unsatisfying route, I'm honestly torn about the no-win idea)

Problems here:

1) They could get lucky and kill the beasts before all 4 heroes turn to stone.

2) The last hero could run away and continually roll higher than the basilisk move.

There are many ways the Heroes could mess up the plan. Regardless of how you solve the issue, here is the part I REALLY like:

The basilisks turning them all to stone is a great way to make them really fear the beasts when they turn up later in the dragonkin quests I'll write! By that point the heroes can defeat them, because in my quest notes Mentor will have explained how to properly fight a basilisk (don't look it in the eyes, don't breath in its noxious vapors, etc...). On the initial encounter here in quest 2 they were inexperienced, so getting revenge on the same creature type will make the heroes feel awesome!
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Forum Language: English (United States)
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby Count Mohawk » July 23rd, 2014, 11:24 pm

gootchute wrote:I'm actually more concerned about the heroes being able to make it to the center room this early with all those monsters...

If you discount the monsters in the center room, the rest of the Quest is about on par with most of the Quests in the Base System. But there's an easy way to tone down difficulty even without removing monsters: add a Potion of Healing or two somewhere. Given there's already one in the cupboard in the fourth room, you're probably OK.

Also, if you choose to let the Heroes fight for a round or two before the basilisks petrify them, you can give the Chaos Sorcerer in the center room a teleport spell to chase anyone who runs away. (Escape is the classic, and I think one of the Wizards of Morcar had a different one as well) My take? Probably scripting the event sans fighting is for the best, although Bellthor is the precedent to fall back on and the Heroes had to actually fight him.

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Created a Hot Topic. Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle!
Marquis of Math
Count Mohawk

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby MrBigB » July 24th, 2014, 12:02 am

Lots of great input, keep it coming! Thanks for the constructive criticism guys |_P
"Hey guys, I'm having a really good time."

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
MrBigB

Gargoyle
Gargoyle

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Goblin-King » July 24th, 2014, 2:50 am

Just a reminder that this has in fact been done before when the heroes battled the poisonous Gargoyle BELLTHOR!!! -que: Guitar solo!
He was just a single powerful monster that knocked out any heroes it "killed".
If the heroes actually managed to kill it it exploded and released toxic fumes which knocked out any hero still standing.

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges.Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Ye Olde Judge Dredd
Goblin-King
Really looks like David Bowie

Frozen Horror
Frozen Horror

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Gold Bearer » July 24th, 2014, 2:10 pm

gootchute wrote:I'm actually more concerned about the heroes being able to make it to the center room this early with all those monsters...
Where? :)

gootchute wrote:The basilisks turning them all to stone is a great way to make them really fear the beasts when they turn up later in the dragonkin quests I'll write! By that point the heroes can defeat them, because in my quest notes Mentor will have explained how to properly fight a basilisk (don't look it in the eyes, don't breath in its noxious vapors, etc...). On the initial encounter here in quest 2 they were inexperienced, so getting revenge on the same creature type will make the heroes feel awesome!
:D This! I pretty much insist.

Count Mohawk wrote:But there's an easy way to tone down difficulty even without removing monsters: add a Potion of Healing or two somewhere.
Exactly! You can make the monsters as tough and numerous as you like without having to worry abut it and just use items to balance it afterwards.
:goblin: 1BP, :orc: 2BP, :fimir: 3BP, :skeleton: 1BP, :zombie: 2BP, :mummy: 3BP, :chaoswarrior: 4BP, :gargoyle: 5BP. US :chaoswarrior: 3BP, US :gargoyle: 4BP.

Expanded Combined Spells: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=4296

A psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it. - Terence McKenna
DMT - The Spirit Molecule: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZqVqbkyLM

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Hosted a Play-by-Post game. Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Shattered a Skeleton! Unravelled a Mummy! Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Gold Bearer

Crossbowman
Crossbowman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby gootchute » July 24th, 2014, 10:51 pm

yeah i guess if you ignore the center room it is easier than the trial, I didn't look close enough before making the statement.
•==(Broadsword>

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
gootchute

Ogre Chieftain
Ogre Chieftain

Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » August 5th, 2014, 6:16 pm

MrBigB wrote:A - [insert offensive spell] scroll found in the desk.

My personal feeling is it is too early to place an artifact at this point in the expansion. On the other hand, the upcoming big battle will likely require it to be used up.

MrBigB wrote:D - Traps doors are linked, and can be used to travel both ways between rooms. Weapon rack in top room is empty. Chest in lower room has more stolen villager jewelry. Value 75g

E - Trap chest is empty.

The two routes from the entrance to objective are pretty well exactly balanced (though the rewards are heavy on one side). I don't see the point of this trap door choice. Maybe some monsters could be shifted to intervening rooms to make one more combat oriented, while some trap-guarding Goblins could make the other path more tricky. The trapped chest in room E is a good candidate for moving onto the tricky route after the trap doors. You could then move the two corridor Fimirs into the vacated room, opening up that fight.

MrBigB wrote:H - Chaos sorcerer has [insert list of debilitating spells like petrify]. Note for Zargon: Your goal is to debilitate all Hero's at once. Once accomplished, regardless of BP left, announce the Hero's have been captured. As their vision slowly fades to black the last thing they see is the horrible faces of their merciless captors. **immediately start Quest 3**

I'd prefer to see an Orc Shaman in the greenskin adventures. I'd be for choosing a number from these Chaos Spell Cards: Summon Orcs, Fear, Cloud of Chaos, Sleep, Tempest, and Command. Basilisks wouldn't be as needed if the Orc Shaman cast these spells which also can take out a Hero for 1 or more turns. I prefer to save the Basilisk for its home ground, the swamps of the Fimir/Kobold chapter. I also personally envisioned the Basilisk as the single Big Swamp Creature mentioned months ago, but affordable multiples are a possiblility. If you keep the Basilisk, maybe one will do.

I was pondering allowing the final battle to go either way, so as to differentiate it from the auto-capture in Return of the Witch Lord. If the Heroes lose Quest 2, they end up incapacitated somehow and start in the jail cells as planned. Other prisoners from the raid of Quest 1 are kept with them. If the Heroes manage a Quest 2 win, they instead start with their weapons and must fight through from the entrance of Quest 3 to find and rescue prisoners from the original raid of Quest 1 (perhaps sounding an alarm). Either way, the Quest 3 Parchment Section would describe the rescue of the villagers from the greenskins. The notes at the end of Quest 2 and the beginning of Quest 3 would sort out the two eventualities. The exit/entrance route of Quest 3 would also need to be modified. I mentioned something that may help in the Quest 3 thread.
Daedalus wrote:The 2 Chaos Warriors at the exit are going to make for a drawn out battle. Why not place them in the room just to the east, so all the Heroes can get in on the action? In that case, you'd need to block off the exit corridor and rerout the Heroes into the northeastern quadrant.
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby Sjeng » August 15th, 2014, 4:19 am

So, did you guys come up with a story for these first 3 quests? I need something to build on for the greenskin chapter.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby TMU » August 15th, 2014, 1:12 pm

Not Q1 done yet, and Q2 and Q3 still need to be tweaked some.
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Hero:
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby Sjeng » August 16th, 2014, 3:02 pm

okay, because I think the greenskin chapter would be best as a direct follow up of the introduction, as greenskins aren't such a big threat (only in great numbers). So they'd do well as a first story chapter, a little tougher than the intro's, but not yet as hard as the dragonkin and after that the chaos beastmen/dwarves chapters.
So I'd like to start my chapter with an orc raid, following your last quest.
Check out my YouTube channel Boardgame Heaven, and drop me a sub please!

Rewards:
Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote twenty (20) articles for the Blog in three (3) sections. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in three (3) Miniature Exchanges. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Official Spokesman
Sjeng
Ye Olde Orcish Bard

Chaos Warlock
Chaos Warlock

Forum Language: Nederlands
Hero:
Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

PreviousNext

Return to HQ25th Quests