• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

New to HQ

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

Re: New to HQ

Postby el_flesh » May 15th, 2011, 11:20 pm

There are probably some posts in here to help your hubby randomize the quests so that you don't get bored with exactly the same layout you have already seen before.

Also I found a LOAD of material here that you can print on hard white card; thereby adding to the maps in different ways if you wish. You just have to get the sizing right...

What do you think of using both your artistic abilities to paint your figures and furniture?
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Created a Hot Topic.
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Postby SexyToes » May 16th, 2011, 9:23 pm

Not sure about the painting. We both tend to like to keep our stuff (books, game, etc) in its original as-close-to-mint-as-possible condition. However, we did like an idea I read somewhere on here about painting monsters a bit differently to be able to tell them apart on the board, for keeping track of damage.

As for the cards... any tips for getting the right size when printing? I've tried printing out the artifact cards for Kellar's Keep, and they come out just a bit larger than the real ones. I'm using the .pdf I downloaded from this site (http://www.yeoldeinn.com/downloads/kell ... ifacts.pdf). Is there a certain percentage size that will get them exact?
SexyToes

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon

Postby gravaillon » May 17th, 2011, 3:36 am

If you want, there are mine that I have remastered

They're all at the right size, ready to print

See my remastered edition of Heroquest and all the Quest Books on http://www.heroquest-reloaded.blogspot.com
gravaillon

Orc Shaman
Orc Shaman

Forum Language: Français
Hero:
Usergroups:
Artists Group Member Champion Group Member

Postby SexyToes » May 17th, 2011, 10:58 am

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

By the way, we finished quest 14 and I now have 4 new heroes working on quest 1. Zargon is adding his own extras this time around... he's really having fun with it, especially when mocking my horrible dice rolls :D
SexyToes

Hero:

Postby drathe » May 17th, 2011, 1:18 pm

SexyToes wrote:As for the cards... any tips for getting the right size when printing? I've tried printing out the artifact cards for Kellar's Keep, and they come out just a bit larger than the real ones. I'm using the .pdf I downloaded from this site (http://www.yeoldeinn.com/downloads/kell ... ifacts.pdf). Is there a certain percentage size that will get them exact?

The fronts (images and text) should be larger as they are full bleeds to allow for some misalignment as not all printers are the same. The backs should be the same size as the cards in the American game system. They print exactly the same size as my cards. Ensure the Page Scaling option in the print settings of the PDF file is set to none. Also, check the box Auto-Rotate and Centre below Page Scaling.

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in a Miniature Exchange. Zealot Miniatures: Twisting Catacombs Kickstarter Backer
Lord
drathe
The Bastiferous!

Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Usergroups:
Innkeepers Group Member Wizards of Zargon Group Member Adventurers' Guild Group Member Artists Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby el_flesh » May 18th, 2011, 6:15 pm

ST, (i.e. 'sexytoes' guess your man gave you THAT nickname...) have you checked how some of the minis can look when painted half-well?
They look SO much better, and make the game so much more realistic it is incredible!
There are some threads here about how to do it quite well - and remember, if you use Testor's enamel paints, you can always strip it right the heck off in under 30 mins with common EasyOff oven cleaner! Your minis will be original all over again! I have done it several times to minis I made mistakes on (i.e. painted 20 years ago) and it does nothing to the plastic.

Aside from that, I think that making cards offsize a little shouldn't be a probem - not like printing new rooms, minimaps, or accessories like the unpunched "Return of the Witch Lord" (that I supplied here, by the way, yor all SO welcome! ) -if they are offsized you are SOL for fitting chars on it. I STILL am having a hard time to get my printer to make it a touch larger so they will fit! Several test prints later! And at the print shop, they are telling me they charge $20 an hour for any processing!
I wish there was a way to encode the correct size in the downloads so that they would print the gridsize correctly!
Maybe someone here can figure out settings etc...
Last edited by el_flesh on May 19th, 2011, 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I will raise your dead body as an undead skeleton. Then I will make it do unspeakable acts. Like taking a shower." - El Flesh.

Rewards:
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby ken » May 19th, 2011, 2:26 am

el_flesh wrote:Aside from that, I think that making cards offsize a little shouldn't be a probem - not like printing new rooms, minimaps, or accessories like the unpunched "Return of the Witch Lord" (that I supplied here, by the way, yor all SO welcome! ) -if they are offsized you are SOL for fitting chars on it. I STILL am having a hard time to get my printer to make it a touch larger so they will fit! Several test prints later! And at the print shop, they are telling me they charge $20 an hour for any processing!
I wish there was a way to encode the correct size in the downloads so that they would print the gridsize correctly!
Maybe someone here can figure out settings etc...

Have you tried the Paint facility, my Friend? This is what I used for my bigger board, As you say, takes a bit of Juggling, but take notes and remember how much percentage you Stretch/Skew the image. Probably teaching my Granny how to suck eggs here, but, who cares!? :mrgreen:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby el_flesh » May 19th, 2011, 9:07 pm

Probably teaching my Granny how to suck eggs here,

EPIPHANY!!

I never thought that was an actual expression! I just thought it was a crazy line in the "Happy Happy Joy Joy" song!
what does it mean?

Rewards:
el_flesh

Exiled
Exiled

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby SexyToes » May 19th, 2011, 9:29 pm

el_flesh wrote:ST, (i.e. 'sexytoes' guess your man gave you THAT nickname...)

Lol! Well actually I gave myself that nickname awhile ago and I use it here and there. I feel it fits my personality. I hope it's not inappropriate for this forum!

As for painting the minis, I have noticed some of the photos and they do look really great. For you all, though, you've been staring at those minis for years, but they are still new to us. Not boring yet, and for now we are more interested in the stories and the adventure! Already cooking up a full storyline for my own quest series. Fun!

I'll give it another try at printing the cards. I really hope to get them the exact size so they can fit in with the other cards, but I suppose I can rely on my cutting skills for that. And ken, I have used Paint for resizing and editing images. The stretch/skew feature works great. And it's surprising just how much you can do with Paint if you know how to use the basic tools creatively ;)
SexyToes

Hero:

Postby ken » May 20th, 2011, 3:07 am

el_flesh wrote:
Probably teaching my Granny how to suck eggs here,

EPIPHANY!!

I never thought that was an actual expression! I just thought it was a crazy line in the "Happy Happy Joy Joy" song!
what does it mean?

Teaching grandmother to suck eggs is an English-language saying, meaning that a person is giving advice to someone else about a subject that they already know about (and probably more than the first person).
· The phrase was used in the 1890s in a Punch magazine cartoon:
"You see, Grandmama, before you extract the contents of this bird's egg by suction, you must make an incision at one extremity, and a corresponding orifice at the other." Grandmama's response is to the effect, "Dearie me! And we used to just make a hole at each end."

What does it mean? That's what Wikki says :!:

Rewards:
Created a Hot Topic.
ken
The Greybeard

Elven Archer
Elven Archer

Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Previous