• Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Howdy from TEXAS!

Inn Visitors may sign the Guest Book and Registered Guests may introduce themselves. (Visitors are able to sign the Guest Book)

Howdy from TEXAS!

Postby UsernameMDM » July 8th, 2018, 7:59 pm

Hey everyone! Glad I found this place. I had a copy of HeroQuest that I got over 20 years ago as a kid that NEVER got played! Sure I played around with the minis and setup the board as a playset, but I never actually played the game.

Until recently.

I took the game down a few months back to show my son, and he was definitely interested. Time passed with the busyness of work, school, and extracurricular activities, and the game sat close to the dining room table for months. My son asked if he could play, so I got it down for him, and he would do what I did: play with the minis and setup the board as a playset. But that just wouldn't do. I told him we were going to play for real! He was pumped. Again, I had actually never played the game before, so I browsed through the rulebook, and we played a quick home-brew game on the fly, just to get used to it. Then his SISTERS got interested. We played another home-brew game just to get the rules down. Then we cracked open THE QUESTBOOK (which I printed off the internet because I seemed to have lost the real one).

THEY LOVED IT! We played the first quest over 2 or 3 30-45 min sessions, and they can't wait to play the next one. I have the original set that is 99% complete and just recently purchased a large lot off ebay that looks like it has the Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witch Lord expansions sets, plus 2 copies of the game (which may be incomplete).

I am also a collector of CMON boardgames (don't play them, just collect them), but since my kids are now interested, I plan on adapting monsters from the games to use in Heroquest. They will also use the heroes from these games, but in the same classes as the original. Right now I am working on adapting Zombicide: Black Plague, Zombidice: Green Horde, Massive Darkness, and Rising Sun. I'm also looking into adopting the Massive Darkness dice to use to ease the confusion of rolling skulls, white shields, and black shields. Eventually I would like to create a boardgame based simple RPG to play with my kids.

I hope to be a great fit here. Thanks!

Here are some pics of the CMON boardgames I listed:

Z:BP 'Survivor' PCs and Zombies -

Z:GH 'Survivor' PCs and Orc/Goblin Zombies:

Z:GH Feral DRAGON!:

MD Heroes, Monsters, and Dice:
UsernameMDM

Forum Language: English (United States)
Hero:

Advertisement

Make a small donation to Ye Olde Inn!

Donate via Paypal

Every cent received goes toward Ye Olde Inn's maintenance and allows us to continue providing the best resources for HeroQuest and Fantasy Gaming fans.

Re: Howdy from TEXAS!

Postby DC1346 » July 9th, 2018, 2:26 am

Nice figures!

I like Texas. I've lived there off an on for about 15 years ... mostly the greater Austin area but also south in Weslaco and on the coast in Houston. Work took me to Nevada and it's been well over a decade since I was in the Lone Star state.

I miss Texas BBQ.

Welcome to the site!

David
DC1346

Orc
Orc

Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Zargon
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby Daedalus » July 9th, 2018, 4:47 am

It's great you have so many figs to play with. I've always liked those Chaos Dwarves (as I know them.) It's even better your kids are interested. Enjoy the ride.

We have a lot of trust here in the combat dice simplicity--it's a bit surprising to hear there is confusion. Is it because the kids are already familiar with another set of dice?
UNCLE ZARGON
WANTS.. YOU

Rewards:
Wizard of Zargon Group Member Grin's Stone Map Played a turn in five (5) Play-by-Post games. Created a Hot Topic. Slain a measly Goblin! Slaughtered an Orc! Killed a mighty Fimir! Shattered a Skeleton! Destroyed a Zombie! Unravelled a Mummy!Crushed a powerful Chaos Warrior! Smashed a massive Gargoyle! Encountered all eight (8) Game System monsters. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Editor-in-Chief
Daedalus
Dread Ruleslawyer

Wizard
Wizard

Usergroups:
Wizards of Zargon Group MemberScribes Group MemberAdventurers' Guild Group MemberArtists Group MemberChampion Group Member

Postby UsernameMDM » July 9th, 2018, 8:25 am

Daedalus wrote:We have a lot of trust here in the combat dice simplicity--it's a bit surprising to hear there is confusion. Is it because the kids are already familiar with another set of dice?

They've never used dice before. For the Massive Darkness dice, one set has attack, the other defend: all swords, all shields. The two youngest sometimes get that mixed up when rolling for offence and defense, so I figured having offence dice and defense dice would work better.
UsernameMDM

Hero:

Postby Spookyhappyfun » July 9th, 2018, 8:45 am

Welcome! I'm glad you got to finally play the game and it's great that you got to enjoy it with your kids.

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby UsernameMDM » July 9th, 2018, 2:54 pm

DC1346 wrote:Nice figures!

I like Texas. I've lived there off an on for about 15 years ... mostly the greater Austin area but also south in Weslaco and on the coast in Houston. Work took me to Nevada and it's been well over a decade since I was in the Lone Star state.

I miss Texas BBQ.

Welcome to the site!

David

TX BBQ is THE BEST! Thanks for the welcome.
UsernameMDM

Hero:

Postby Spookyhappyfun » July 9th, 2018, 3:30 pm

As someone from North Carolina, I disagree completely, but I'll let you have it this time since you're new. :P

Rewards:
Killed a mighty Fimir! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Spookyhappyfun

Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member

Postby TMU » July 16th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Welcome! It's always nice to see new generations introduced to the game. Have fun! :)
"There is no greater danger than playing it safe."

Rewards:
Played a turn in a Play-by-Post game. Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in four (4) Miniature Exchanges. Slaughtered an Orc! Destroyed a Zombie! Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
Second Lieutenant
TMU

Swordsman
Swordsman

Forum Language: British English
Hero:
Evil Sorcerer: Morcar
Usergroups:
Adventurers' Guild Group Member Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby IvenBach » July 17th, 2018, 12:22 am

Take no shame in buying something for your children, when in reality it's for you. That is as long as you play it together and have fun. Relive childhood through your small fleshlings. Welcome to the Inn!

Rewards:
Wrote an article for the Blog. Created a Hot Topic. Participated in two (2) Miniature Exchanges. Encountered a menacing Chaos Warlock!
IvenBach
The NEEEEEEEEEEEERD!!!

Halberdier
Halberdier

Hero:
Usergroups:
Champion Group Member Scribes Group Member

Postby UsernameMDM » July 17th, 2018, 9:51 am

IvenBach wrote:Take no shame in buying something for your children, when in reality it's for you. That is as long as you play it together and have fun. Relive childhood through your small fleshlings. Welcome to the Inn!

I've already spent a few hundred bucks on HQ in addition to my base game so I can "play with my kids" :D
UsernameMDM

Hero:

Next

Return to Ye Olde Lobby